My first ND - with a stun gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
jminn1
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:32 pm
Location: Flower Mound, Texas

My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby jminn1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:54 pm

I bought a stun gun for my wife and also for each sons girlfriend, for a total of 3 stun guns.
We all gathered together last night for a family meal and I gave the presents to the girls.

As I was demonstrating the use of the stun gun, the middle finger of my left hand somehow came to be near one of the exposed electrodes. Then I triggered it to show the girls the snap-crackle-pop arc of electricity so they would know what to expect.

Oh boy... thru the left middle finger and back out the thumb. Zap. That hurt. For an hour.

Bringing it up here to call out that we can get lax in situations where apparently nothing bad can happen, especially with new equipment.

I'm sure that thing is unloaded.
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
-Albert Einstein

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby Pawpaw » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Ouch!

However... "rlol"
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22137
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby The Annoyed Man » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Did bad words and unchristian thoughts issue forth? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby Pawpaw » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:13 pm

"No, it didn't hurt. It just doesn't take me long to check out a stun gun." :biggrinjester:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759

NRA Benefactor Life Member


pushpullpete
Senior Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby pushpullpete » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:17 pm

My son has been there in training & says it hurts, alot.
I'm willing to bet that it won't happen to you again.
Sorry that it happened to you but it is a little funny cause it wasn't me. ;-)
Although back in '72 I learned all about Chevy HEI ignitions on a '66 Caprice w a 396.
(hahaha one & only time) Not sure what hurt more, my body (in right hand & out through my feet)
or the back of my head when I bent the hood coming out. ha, either way, lesson learned.
Glad you can laugh about it.
:txflag: :patriot:


Mxrdad
Senior Member
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby Mxrdad » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Its amazing that much power can come from batteries huh? At least you gave them a REAL demonstration how it works!

Reminds me a few years back, my son was at that age (and single at that time) where he wanted those HID headlights. I was helping him install them (more like me keeping him company) and all of a sudden, he gets zapped just at the same time I was handing him something. It jumped from him to me and we both got lit up. I think he got the full blunt of it and it kinda just grazed me. Not as bad as it could've been and in fact, we laughed for days about it.

Here, hold my beer while I install these HID lights! (We werent drinking but that saying is just worth repeating).
Finally woke up.......... Proud NRA Life member.
Proud member of TSRA as well.


Topic author
jminn1
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:32 pm
Location: Flower Mound, Texas

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby jminn1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:42 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:Did bad words and unchristian thoughts issue forth? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:


TAM,

I plead the 5th... and plead.. and plead...
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
-Albert Einstein

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3032
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby Jusme » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Years ago, before the invention of weedeaters, we had gas powered edgers.
I had inherited my grandfather's which was made sometime in the early 60's. It had a pull start, and the way to kill it was to use your foot to push a lever up against the plug. I was having issues trying to get the drive belt to track properly, and after replacing belts, shims, washers, etc I fired it up.
It ran approximately 15 seconds before it threw the belt. Angry, hot, sweaty, and ready to give up on the idea, of having well trimmed lawn edges, I grabbed the handle in one hand and used my thumb to push the kill switch lever forward. I came to my senses about 10 yards away, feeling like someone had hit me in the chest with a 2x4.

I can definitely sympathize with the OP, but I agree, a practical demonstration is a very useful teaching opportunity.

I have a weedeater now.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


Mxrdad
Senior Member
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby Mxrdad » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:02 am

Jusme wrote:Years ago, before the invention of weedeaters, we had gas powered edgers.
I had inherited my grandfather's which was made sometime in the early 60's. It had a pull start, and the way to kill it was to use your foot to push a lever up against the plug. I was having issues trying to get the drive belt to track properly, and after replacing belts, shims, washers, etc I fired it up.
It ran approximately 15 seconds before it threw the belt. Angry, hot, sweaty, and ready to give up on the idea, of having well trimmed lawn edges, I grabbed the handle in one hand and used my thumb to push the kill switch lever forward. I came to my senses about 10 yards away, feeling like someone had hit me in the chest with a 2x4.

I can definitely sympathize with the OP, but I agree, a practical demonstration is a very useful teaching opportunity.

I have a weedeater now.


"rlol" "rlol"

I feel your pain man. Don't cha love adding hurt and humiliated to that list? BUT, you can also add smarter to that list now. I'm a glass half full kinda guy.
Finally woke up.......... Proud NRA Life member.
Proud member of TSRA as well.

User avatar

JakeTheSnake
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:05 am
Location: SA

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby JakeTheSnake » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:52 am

I had purchased one for the wife. We were out camping with her nephew and he was checking it out. He asked what it felt like, I told him to zap himself to find. He says no you.
I said if you do it I will.
NEVER dare a 17yr old!!! Lesson learned! :banghead:


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby twomillenium » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 am

Mxrdad wrote:
Jusme wrote:Years ago, before the invention of weedeaters, we had gas powered edgers.
I had inherited my grandfather's which was made sometime in the early 60's. It had a pull start, and the way to kill it was to use your foot to push a lever up against the plug. I was having issues trying to get the drive belt to track properly, and after replacing belts, shims, washers, etc I fired it up.
It ran approximately 15 seconds before it threw the belt. Angry, hot, sweaty, and ready to give up on the idea, of having well trimmed lawn edges, I grabbed the handle in one hand and used my thumb to push the kill switch lever forward. I came to my senses about 10 yards away, feeling like someone had hit me in the chest with a 2x4.

I can definitely sympathize with the OP, but I agree, a practical demonstration is a very useful teaching opportunity.

I have a weedeater now.


"rlol" "rlol"

I feel your pain man. Don't cha love adding hurt and humiliated to that list? BUT, you can also add smarter to that list now. I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

Just think of all the other experiences you will have to make that glass full! :lol:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

Has your Texas Rep. co-sponsored HB560 yet?

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 1839
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby bblhd672 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 am

jminn1 wrote:I bought a stun gun for my wife and also for each sons girlfriend, for a total of 3 stun guns.
We all gathered together last night for a family meal and I gave the presents to the girls.

As I was demonstrating the use of the stun gun, the middle finger of my left hand somehow came to be near one of the exposed electrodes. Then I triggered it to show the girls the snap-crackle-pop arc of electricity so they would know what to expect.

Oh boy... thru the left middle finger and back out the thumb. Zap. That hurt. For an hour.

Bringing it up here to call out that we can get lax in situations where apparently nothing bad can happen, especially with new equipment.

I'm sure that thing is unloaded.


Too bad they weren't taking a video of your demonstration...would have loved to see that on YouTube! :biggrinjester:
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness. - Robert Heinlein (The Puppet Masters.)


Mxrdad
Senior Member
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby Mxrdad » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:03 am

[quote="I feel your pain man. Don't cha love adding hurt and humiliated to that list? BUT, you can also add smarter to that list now. I'm a glass half full kinda guy.[/quote]
Just think of all the other experiences you will have to make that glass full! :lol:[/quote]

:thumbs2: I think maybe I've learned from some of those past experiences. Reason being, I know for a fact there is no way I will ever purposely Tazer myself just to see what it feels like. Not knocking the ones that do, I'm just not that curious.

Has anyone seen the walking canes equipped with Tazer's ? I saw one about a year ago and when the guy pushed the "activation button", that thing hissed and crackled something fierce. It was truly a scary and intimidating noise. I'm not talking a little buzzing noise that I have heard before with tazers. I'm talking a very loud, head turning noise that will stop a conversation. Everybody around instantly stopped talking, there was about 3-4 seconds of silence as people started looking around trying to figure out where that noise came from.

If a BG ever tries to attack a person while they are carrying/using this cane, they are going to be in for a huge surprise.
Finally woke up.......... Proud NRA Life member.
Proud member of TSRA as well.


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Postby crazy2medic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:10 pm

A couple of years ago when I was working at the fire dept, I was doing my obligatory mornin paperwork, my driver came in to inform me that one of the LED strobe lights wasn't firing, so being the officer I said I'd take a look at it and went out to figure out the problem, I could hear the popping from under the dash, so I figured one of the fuses had backed out and just needed to be pushed back in.Great big bad mistake! Knocked the way out of my arm, felt it through my whole body but my arm from my fingers to my shoulder was numb for an hour!

Note to self, Take it to the garage!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention


Return to “Never Again!!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests