My first ND - with a stun gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jminn1
Posts in topic: 2

My first ND - with a stun gun

Post by jminn1 »

I bought a stun gun for my wife and also for each sons girlfriend, for a total of 3 stun guns.
We all gathered together last night for a family meal and I gave the presents to the girls.

As I was demonstrating the use of the stun gun, the middle finger of my left hand somehow came to be near one of the exposed electrodes. Then I triggered it to show the girls the snap-crackle-pop arc of electricity so they would know what to expect.

Oh boy... thru the left middle finger and back out the thumb. Zap. That hurt. For an hour.

Bringing it up here to call out that we can get lax in situations where apparently nothing bad can happen, especially with new equipment.

I'm sure that thing is unloaded.
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

Pawpaw

Re: My first ND - with a stun gun

Post by Pawpaw »

Ouch!

However... "rlol"
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Did bad words and unchristian thoughts issue forth? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

"No, it didn't hurt. It just doesn't take me long to check out a stun gun." :biggrinjester:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

My son has been there in training & says it hurts, alot.
I'm willing to bet that it won't happen to you again.
Sorry that it happened to you but it is a little funny cause it wasn't me. ;-)
Although back in '72 I learned all about Chevy HEI ignitions on a '66 Caprice w a 396.
(hahaha one & only time) Not sure what hurt more, my body (in right hand & out through my feet)
or the back of my head when I bent the hood coming out. ha, either way, lesson learned.
Glad you can laugh about it.
:txflag: :patriot:

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mxrdad »

Its amazing that much power can come from batteries huh? At least you gave them a REAL demonstration how it works!

Reminds me a few years back, my son was at that age (and single at that time) where he wanted those HID headlights. I was helping him install them (more like me keeping him company) and all of a sudden, he gets zapped just at the same time I was handing him something. It jumped from him to me and we both got lit up. I think he got the full blunt of it and it kinda just grazed me. Not as bad as it could've been and in fact, we laughed for days about it.

Here, hold my beer while I install these HID lights! (We werent drinking but that saying is just worth repeating).
Just some guy's opinion.

Topic author
jminn1

Post by jminn1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Did bad words and unchristian thoughts issue forth? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:
TAM,

I plead the 5th... and plead.. and plead...
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Years ago, before the invention of weedeaters, we had gas powered edgers.
I had inherited my grandfather's which was made sometime in the early 60's. It had a pull start, and the way to kill it was to use your foot to push a lever up against the plug. I was having issues trying to get the drive belt to track properly, and after replacing belts, shims, washers, etc I fired it up.
It ran approximately 15 seconds before it threw the belt. Angry, hot, sweaty, and ready to give up on the idea, of having well trimmed lawn edges, I grabbed the handle in one hand and used my thumb to push the kill switch lever forward. I came to my senses about 10 yards away, feeling like someone had hit me in the chest with a 2x4.

I can definitely sympathize with the OP, but I agree, a practical demonstration is a very useful teaching opportunity.

I have a weedeater now.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

Jusme wrote:Years ago, before the invention of weedeaters, we had gas powered edgers.
I had inherited my grandfather's which was made sometime in the early 60's. It had a pull start, and the way to kill it was to use your foot to push a lever up against the plug. I was having issues trying to get the drive belt to track properly, and after replacing belts, shims, washers, etc I fired it up.
It ran approximately 15 seconds before it threw the belt. Angry, hot, sweaty, and ready to give up on the idea, of having well trimmed lawn edges, I grabbed the handle in one hand and used my thumb to push the kill switch lever forward. I came to my senses about 10 yards away, feeling like someone had hit me in the chest with a 2x4.

I can definitely sympathize with the OP, but I agree, a practical demonstration is a very useful teaching opportunity.

I have a weedeater now.
"rlol" "rlol"

I feel your pain man. Don't cha love adding hurt and humiliated to that list? BUT, you can also add smarter to that list now. I'm a glass half full kinda guy.
Just some guy's opinion.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

I had purchased one for the wife. We were out camping with her nephew and he was checking it out. He asked what it felt like, I told him to zap himself to find. He says no you.
I said if you do it I will.
NEVER dare a 17yr old!!! Lesson learned! :banghead:

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Mxrdad wrote:
Jusme wrote:Years ago, before the invention of weedeaters, we had gas powered edgers.

I have a weedeater now.
"rlol" "rlol"

I feel your pain man. Don't cha love adding hurt and humiliated to that list? BUT, you can also add smarter to that list now. I'm a glass half full kinda guy.
Just think of all the other experiences you will have to make that glass full! :lol:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

jminn1 wrote:I bought a stun gun for my wife and also for each sons girlfriend, for a total of 3 stun guns.
We all gathered together last night for a family meal and I gave the presents to the girls.

As I was demonstrating the use of the stun gun, the middle finger of my left hand somehow came to be near one of the exposed electrodes. Then I triggered it to show the girls the snap-crackle-pop arc of electricity so they would know what to expect.

Oh boy... thru the left middle finger and back out the thumb. Zap. That hurt. For an hour.

Bringing it up here to call out that we can get lax in situations where apparently nothing bad can happen, especially with new equipment.

I'm sure that thing is unloaded.
Too bad they weren't taking a video of your demonstration...would have loved to see that on YouTube! :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

[quote="I feel your pain man. Don't cha love adding hurt and humiliated to that list? BUT, you can also add smarter to that list now. I'm a glass half full kinda guy.[/quote]
Just think of all the other experiences you will have to make that glass full! :lol:[/quote]

:thumbs2: I think maybe I've learned from some of those past experiences. Reason being, I know for a fact there is no way I will ever purposely Tazer myself just to see what it feels like. Not knocking the ones that do, I'm just not that curious.

Has anyone seen the walking canes equipped with Tazer's ? I saw one about a year ago and when the guy pushed the "activation button", that thing hissed and crackled something fierce. It was truly a scary and intimidating noise. I'm not talking a little buzzing noise that I have heard before with tazers. I'm talking a very loud, head turning noise that will stop a conversation. Everybody around instantly stopped talking, there was about 3-4 seconds of silence as people started looking around trying to figure out where that noise came from.

If a BG ever tries to attack a person while they are carrying/using this cane, they are going to be in for a huge surprise.
Just some guy's opinion.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

A couple of years ago when I was working at the fire dept, I was doing my obligatory mornin paperwork, my driver came in to inform me that one of the LED strobe lights wasn't firing, so being the officer I said I'd take a look at it and went out to figure out the problem, I could hear the popping from under the dash, so I figured one of the fuses had backed out and just needed to be pushed back in.Great big bad mistake! Knocked the way out of my arm, felt it through my whole body but my arm from my fingers to my shoulder was numb for an hour!

Note to self, Take it to the garage!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Never Again!!”