A True Accidental Shooting

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 3

Re: A True Accidental Shooting

Post by Mxrdad »

There is good info in this thread. I knew deep down about the need for these "First Aid Kits" but I guess I filed it deep down in my memory and this thread has brought it to the surface. You never know when the need arises and there are certainly more dangerous activities in our daily lives than one's weapons. I don't know this for a fact but I would guess driving is the most dangerous activity we encounter on a regular basis, not counting the dangerous jobs some have. I shutter to think my family be in an accident and could have been saved with a little training and a not-so-expensive kit.

I think I will look into getting all my family members trained, they are worth it! Thanks to all with their personal experiences and input. You may have saved some lives of not only family members but also others that may be in need. Good stuff.
Just some guy's opinion.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

One guy's YouTube channel I've found value from is "SkinnyMedic": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhaas ... jpYQ6FMoKw. He looks like he's about 20 in some of the videos, but he was a medic in the Sandbox, an EMT now back in civvies, and he's been doing it for about 15 years. He does videos on EMT stuff, prepping, and even guns and gear reviews. His subchannel dealing with trauma response is at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ryTy5H5lUf.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

Mxrdad wrote:There is good info in this thread. I knew deep down about the need for these "First Aid Kits" but I guess I filed it deep down in my memory and this thread has brought it to the surface. You never know when the need arises and there are certainly more dangerous activities in our daily lives than one's weapons. I don't know this for a fact but I would guess driving is the most dangerous activity we encounter on a regular basis, not counting the dangerous jobs some have. I shutter to think my family be in an accident and could have been saved with a little training and a not-so-expensive kit.

I think I will look into getting all my family members trained, they are worth it! Thanks to all with their personal experiences and input. You may have saved some lives of not only family members but also others that may be in need. Good stuff.
I didn't think much about first aid kit in my range bag until one day at the range a guy next to me got hit in the abdomen with a ricochet 5.56.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

Skiprr wrote:One guy's YouTube channel I've found value from is "SkinnyMedic": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhaas ... jpYQ6FMoKw. He looks like he's about 20 in some of the videos, but he was a medic in the Sandbox, an EMT now back in civvies, and he's been doing it for about 15 years. He does videos on EMT stuff, prepping, and even guns and gear reviews. His subchannel dealing with trauma response is at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ryTy5H5lUf.
:thumbs2: Thanks Skiprr.
Just some guy's opinion.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Skiprr wrote:One guy's YouTube channel I've found value from is "SkinnyMedic": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhaas ... jpYQ6FMoKw. He looks like he's about 20 in some of the videos, but he was a medic in the Sandbox, an EMT now back in civvies, and he's been doing it for about 15 years. He does videos on EMT stuff, prepping, and even guns and gear reviews. His subchannel dealing with trauma response is at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ryTy5H5lUf.
These are excellent! Thanks for posting. I need start a separate stick re: first aid.

Chas.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

+ 1 for the skinny medic. He's done some videos with other youtubers, iraq vet 8888 springs to mind.

The S&W armorer who did my M&P Apex trigger install and tweak was astonished at what the bubba smith did to that poor woman's gun.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Wallace Dunn

Post by Wallace Dunn »

Dirvin wrote:
If you have a firearm on you, you should have a tourniquet on you. Period.
Does anyone (everyone) do this? Should we?

I always have a basic first aid kit in all of my vehicles, but I don't think any have a tourniquet.

The Texas Concealed Handgun Association is having a class on First Aid at their convention in Kerrville on March 31 to April 2nd. This is only one of the many classes, but I've already signed up and looking forward to the class. I'm brand new to this forum so not sure on the etiquette of posting links yet.

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

bblhd672 wrote:
Mxrdad wrote:There is good info in this thread. I knew deep down about the need for these "First Aid Kits" but I guess I filed it deep down in my memory and this thread has brought it to the surface. You never know when the need arises and there are certainly more dangerous activities in our daily lives than one's weapons. I don't know this for a fact but I would guess driving is the most dangerous activity we encounter on a regular basis, not counting the dangerous jobs some have. I shutter to think my family be in an accident and could have been saved with a little training and a not-so-expensive kit.

I didn't think much about first aid kit in my range bag until one day at the range a guy next to me got hit in the abdomen with a ricochet 5.56.
Yikes! It's kinda like driving. I'm not worried about my abilities to drive, but some of those other drivers are scary. Same thing on the range; which just cements the fact a First Aid Kit is essential, AND, the training to know how to use that kit. Its more than just opening it and applying a band-aid. I'm glad this thread shook some of those spider webs off the ol memory bank.
Just some guy's opinion.

mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

Another +1 for skinnymedic.

Watch his video(s) on fake CAT tourniquets before buying cheap!

His prices are in line, shipping is free, use SOOTCH00 to get 10% off most items (he occasionally runs specials he can't give it on,) and it supports his informative and educational channel.

I carry a trauma kit in my trunk and work bag now because of his videos.
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

FCH

Post by FCH »

I just ordered 2 American made tourniquet directly from the manufacturer https://www.narescue.com/combat-applica ... quet-c-a-t cheaper than from Amazon and no shipping charge.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

If you have flexible spending money to use-or-lose by March 15th, first aid supplies are generally FSA eligible.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

Thanks. I just grabbed the intermediate bleeding control kit from NA Rescue. Hopefully I'll get FSA reimbursement but it looks like a good addition to the range bag even if I don't.
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

In case you still have interest in medical training, there is a new class just scheduled for the end of April out at CDG:

Tactical Casualty Care- SABA (Self Aid/Buddy Aid)

This dynamic one day course will teach you the primary basics utilizing our medical immediate action followed by our MARCH concept to treat a team member or loved one who has become injured. This medical live saving techniques are highly encouraged for personnel who carry on a regular basis and vital for their family members as well.
Cost: $250 per student, repeat student refresher is only $100
Hrs: 9am-7pm
(Class will be limited to the first 16 registered students only)

https://www.criticaldefensegroup.com/co ... buddy-aid/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

loktite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by loktite »

I will be taking this or a similar course in the near future. to those that have : How many people in the course experience(d) a vasovagal reaction and either faint or have to sit?
Bitter Clinger wrote:In case you still have interest in medical training, there is a new class just scheduled for the end of April out at CDG:

Tactical Casualty Care- SABA (Self Aid/Buddy Aid)
NRA Endowment Member

jhutto

Post by jhutto »

Hi all,
Being a Boy Scout :) and also one of those guys that has a first aide kit all the time (BE PREPARED).. I thought I'd mention a small item that could be relevant to a gunshot related injury.

The magical tampon :)

While certainly a wound with significant internal bleeding would not bennifit from jamming a tampon in there - there is certainly some merit to plugging up wounds in an arm or a leg.
(We all wear body armor right? )

Jam it in, let it expand and slow the bleeding. - cover it with same gauze and duct tape - and keep on emptying those magazines.

Be careful with the tourniquets - you might loose an appendage.

Return to “Never Again!!”