Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Texas Man Learns the Hard Way: When You Shoot an Armadillo, Bring Enough Gun

Post by Pawpaw »

Tough way to learn a lesson.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/08/03/te ... Newsletter

Years ago, my father shot one with a 30-30. Their travel trailer was parked about 5 feet from an aluminum storage building and the armadillo was right between them. The 'diller was DRT all right, but that soft point spattered and left tiny little holes in both the trailer and building.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Man Learns the Hard Way: When You Shoot an Armadillo, Bring Enough Gun

Post by bblhd672 »

I was squirrel hunting many years ago with a 20 gauge. Creeping along a train in the woods behind me came a terrible noise, sounded like a huge creature crashing through the brush in my direction. Readying my shotgun in anticipation of possibility of defending myself I waited as the noise grew closer. Suddenly, the noise stopped as an armadillo jumped onto a log close by and stared at me. I yelled at it to go away but it just sat there. So I blasted it. Apparently a 20 gauge is enough gun to handle an armadillo. :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

SA-TX

Re: Texas Man Learns the Hard Way: When You Shoot an Armadillo, Bring Enough Gun

Post by SA-TX »

A .22 rifle round apparently will penetrate their armor and kill them but not immediately. You still get the show of it pinballing off of whatever is around as it jumps higher than expected and runs with surprising speed. Ask me how I know. :totap: On the bright side I didn't have to clean up what I have read is a very smelly mess. That said, I think I'll go with the AR15 next time and know for sure.

SA-TX

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

I shot one a couple weeks ago with a 9mm from about 10 feet distance. It died right away.

flechero

Post by flechero »

The bullet ricocheted off the rock under or behind the dillo, not the shell. He just missed.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Why do you shoot them?
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

When I was a kid, I shot a lot of armadillos with .22LRHP. Never had a problem penetrating the shell.
Charlie

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Commander Cody wrote:Why do you shoot them?
1. They carry disease.

2. They will tear the heck out of your yard, digging for grubs.

3. Where do you think speed bumps come from? ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

flechero

Post by flechero »

Have you ever seen the effects of a cluster bomb, on a runway? Substitute your lawn for runway, and you'll get the idea. :lol:

I'd much prefer to let them walk... but they aren't content with the acreage, just the manicured 3/4 acre surrounding the house. :grumble

rotor

Post by rotor »

Pawpaw wrote:
1. They carry disease.

2. They will tear the heck out of your yard, digging for grubs.

3. Where do you think speed bumps come from? ;-)
They do carry disease. Hansen's disease, otherwise known as leprosy. Don't handle the carcass. Skunks and armadillo at one time were tearing up my yard but for whatever reason I don't see as many.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

The last one I remember shooting fell to a .36 cap-and-ball revolver. Not much pumpkin compared to even plain-jane .38 Special loads.

I have to wonder if he didn't hit something else with one of the rounds.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Return to “Never Again!!”