Blindsided

So that others may learn.

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

WTR

Re: Blindsided

Postby WTR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:39 am

I carry 130 gallons on board. I just stop at the front door of well lit truck stops for bathroom breaks.

der Teufel

Postby der Teufel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:40 am

An unplanned gas station stop was one of the things that convinced me to get my CHL/LTC.

I was driving from Austin to SE Texas on a Friday evening, and started out with a little over a half tank of gas. I figured that would get me through Houston to around Cedar Bayou where there are some gas stations and truck stops. My usual routine was to stop there and stretch anyway, and I reckoned I could fill up with gas and have enough for the return journey.

There was construction going on on IH-10 in Houston, and traffic was slowed to between 0-10MPH for quite a while. When you're going zero miles/hour your gas mileage is pretty bad, and it became clear that I was going to have to either get gas at night on the east side of Houston or risk running out of fuel. I pulled off at an exit but there were no stations. I continued on through another traffic light and finally found a gas station. I got out, pumped in $5 worth of gas (enough to get me to my original destination), jumped back in my car and hustled back onto the freeway. I spent absolutely no more time out of my car than absolutely necessary!

Soon afterwards I was in a class getting my handgun license.
Auf einen großen Klotz gehört ein großer Keil.
English equivalent: You must meet roughness with roughness.
NRA Life Member

labrat1001001

Postby labrat1001001 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Any gas station, anywhere, anytime….head is on a swivel.

A few years back, I neglected to fill up at my regular spot in Frisco. I ended up at a Shell at Abrams and 635 in Dallas. Not the worst but not the best area to get gas. As soon as I pulled in, I started looking at everyone around. I noticed a man standing around outside the front doors. As soon as I pulled in he headed for me with his head down. I jumped out and took a defensive stance with my right hand on my hip (pistol under shirt), left held out to signal stop, and my heading moving side to side. He made it half way and looked up at me. He stopped in his tracks and returned to the front of the store. I communicated every non-verbal way I could think of to signal to him to stop and turn around and it worked, thankfully. I now make it habit to fill up when half full, in Frisco or Plano, though my head is still on a swivel.
Labrat1001001
"It is not society that is to guide and save the creative hero, but precisely the reverse." Nietzsche

Jose_in_Dallas

Postby Jose_in_Dallas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:28 pm

C-dub wrote:Tell me about it. Now that I'm back on a bike I'm a little more exposed and when gassing it up don't even have a door to lock or window to raise to protect myself. I've only filled up three times now, but could tell that my alert level went a little higher than when I'm driving the truck.

When I used to ride is when I felt the most vulnerable at a gas station. I normally would pull up to the pump and unless I had a tank bag on, wouldn't even bother to get off the bike or take off my helmet. I would pull up real close to the pump, unlock the gas cap, swipe my card and start pumping. In hind site, it would have been pretty easy to have robbed me even though I was carrying because I was distracted and I did not have a good situational awareness.

Sport Coach

Postby Sport Coach » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:39 pm

All good info. The gas station I typically use now has "gas station TV," where you can turn to code white if you're dumb enough. Stand by my car filling up with gas watching some stupid mini TV screen on a gas pump? No way! It is enticing but I turn my back to it and tend to walk back and forth to be sure no one is walking up on the blind side of my car. I may even go tell the store manager next time to see his/her reaction. Then again the store may not be in business in Cypress, TX after this storm.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Redneck_Buddha

Postby Redneck_Buddha » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:28 pm

labrat1001001 wrote:Any gas station, anywhere, anytime….head is on a swivel.

A few years back, I neglected to fill up at my regular spot in Frisco. I ended up at a Shell at Abrams and 635 in Dallas. Not the worst but not the best area to get gas. As soon as I pulled in, I started looking at everyone around. I noticed a man standing around outside the front doors. As soon as I pulled in he headed for me with his head down. I jumped out and took a defensive stance with my right hand on my hip (pistol under shirt), left held out to signal stop, and my heading moving side to side. He made it half way and looked up at me. He stopped in his tracks and returned to the front of the store. I communicated every non-verbal way I could think of to signal to him to stop and turn around and it worked, thankfully. I now make it habit to fill up when half full, in Frisco or Plano, though my head is still on a swivel.

Sooooo....about getting gas in Plano. Remember just a couple of months ago?

http://www.fox4news.com/news/260655435-story
Stop slackin', start packin'.
National Rifle Association Life Member; Gun Owners of America Member
"Live by G-d's law, or die by man's law."

labrat1001001

Postby labrat1001001 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
labrat1001001 wrote:Any gas station, anywhere, anytime….head is on a swivel.

Sooooo....about getting gas in Plano. Remember just a couple of months ago?

http://www.fox4news.com/news/260655435-story

Of course, there is no such thing as a crime free gas station. Hence .......Any gas station, anywhere, anytime….head is on a swivel.
Labrat1001001
"It is not society that is to guide and save the creative hero, but precisely the reverse." Nietzsche

Oldgringo

Postby Oldgringo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:07 pm

We watched a pretty good NetFlix movie named "Blindsided" last nite. Just thought I'd share this..... :mrgreen:

Pritchical

Postby Pritchical » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:26 pm

One thing I do when getting gas is to keep my driver's door open as a blockade from my left. Stand with the hose on my right (so I don't have to step over it to get back in the car) and keep my back to the pump. That way I can keep an eye out all around the vehicle in front of me, and keep an eye on what's behind me in the reflections on the windows.

I also always leave the car running.

Return to “Never Again!!”