So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

TX:Gun handler kills brother after midnight in Houston

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/gun- ... other-says

Ejected the magazine, racked the slide, the slide jammed. While attempting to clear the jamb, he didn't pull the trigger, but the gun discharged while pointed at the head of his brother, killing him. Happened during the common gun inspection time of after midnight.
Last edited by philip964 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX:Gun handler kills brother at after midnight in Houston

Post by puma guy »

"he didn't pull the trigger" ??? Maybe it's one of those "auto" pistols.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
philip964

Re: TX:Gun handler kills brother at after midnight in Houston

Post by philip964 »

So you remove the magazine. One cartridge remains in the gun in the pipe. You rack the slide to remove this cartridge, but as you rack the slide, you don't get a good grip on it and you fail to pull it fully out, the cartridge gets lodged in the ejection port. Now you pull it out some more and release, but before ejecting the cartridge. The cartridge goes back into the pipe and the gun magically fires without the trigger being pulled while you point the gun at the head of your brother.

Is this the tragic accident?

See guns are evil. They are the killers, not the person who just is holding it.

dlh

Re: TX:Gun handler kills brother after midnight in Houston

Post by dlh »

There are "slap-fire" discharges from SKS rifles due to materials' failures. There is a Youtube video on that. Doubt that happened here but who knows until an expert examines the handgun and can replicate the failure.

In any event, obviously, he should not have pointed it at his brother. He will now have to live with that the rest of his life. Had he pointed the gun down at the ground while he was trying to clear the action this tragedy would not have happened.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

I have actually heard of accidental discharges where the round does not get ejected all the way and the extractor strikes the primer as the slide moves forward. Can't imagine that could happen without destroying the barrel, but it's theoretically possible.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

We have no idea what actually happened. Mother who doesn't know guns describing the story as told to her by a son who doesn't know guns.

What we do know is there was a lot of stupid going on.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

Sounds like he only partially racked the slide, which could leave the round in (or allow it to rechamber) and either doesn't remember pulling the trigger or is omitting that part of the story for obvious reasons. Clearly rules were violated.

Tragic for the family.

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Either a lie or some type of slam fire as in something other than the firing pin setting off the primer. But one would think the round wouldn't have been fully in the barrel and might have case-ruptured instead.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

stroo

Post by stroo »

I would guess some alcohol was involved here.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Either a defective handgun, or a defective operator (more likely IMHO). I have heard of a live cartridge getting hung up on the extractor and igniting when the slide is released, but that would not cause the bullet to travel down the barrel. That would have more likely just injured the hand of the guy holding the gun.

It will be interesting to see if there is some kind of a defect with this particular gun. At this point, all we know for sure that one rule was definitely violated (gun pointed at brother). At least one more was likely also violated (finger on or near trigger). It usually takes at least two rule violations to actually have a tragedy like this one.

allisji

Post by allisji »

rp_photo wrote:Either a lie or some type of slam fire as in something other than the firing pin setting off the primer. But one would think the round wouldn't have been fully in the barrel and might have case-ruptured instead.
I agree, and I can't imagine their being enough pressure to launch the projectile, let alone kill a man... I may be missing something, but it sounds to like the man killed his brother with what he thought was an unloaded gun, and then started making excuses to blame the gun.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

For the rest of us, I guess this is a good reminder to practice not pointing the gun at anything you don't intend to shoot. That includes when racking the slide, working on the gun, etc, etc. It is easy to find yourself pointing it to the side if you are not paying attention. If you practice it constantly, you might do it right even if distracted. Mirror image of that: don't just stand there when others are painting you with the muzzle. I find that most who are careful about where they point the muzzle tend to not like others doing the same.

Jay2121
Banned

Post by Jay2121 »

Could it happen? Ahhh maybe, anything is possible, let's focus on the only issue here ... Pointed at your brothers head... That is the issue here. Not pointed at a person and this thread does not exist.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

philip964 wrote:https://www.click2houston.com/news/gun- ... other-says

Ejected the magazine, racked the slide, the slide jammed. While attempting to clear the jamb, he didn't pull the trigger, but the gun discharged while pointed at the head of his brother, killing him. Happened during the common gun inspection time of after midnight.
Another reminder that, as any LEO will tell you, "nothing good happens after midnight."
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Any indictment here? Kim?

Return to “Never Again!!”