Hunter/Pastor killed - Be sure of your target

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Hunter/Pastor killed - Be sure of your target

Post by rtschl »

Just sad and smh... Why shoot towards sounds and movement? Know what you are shooting at!!! i.e. Be sure of your target :banghead:

The man said he fired two shots at the brown and grey movement at the tree.

https://www.taylorsvilletimes.com/2018/ ... -accident/
Ron
NRA Member

flechero

Re: Hunter/Pastor killed - Be sure of your target

Post by flechero »

Tragic loss- prayers for the Pastor's family.

If coyotes have something treed - you shoot the unknown "animal" out of the tree???? Sounds off to me. I've hunted most of my life and that's not something I or anyone I have ever hunted with, would do.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

This is not an accident. An accident is an unforeseeable incident. Pointing your weapon and pulling the trigger doesn't qualify. There are no words to describe the idiocy of this person. Absolutely no excuse for him and I hope he's prosecuted to the full extent of the law. :banghead:

Prayers for this poor man who lost his life and for his family.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Another blatant and fatal violation of Cooper Rule #4
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Very very sad. Such a young family. Prayers sent.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

puma guy wrote:This is not an accident. An accident is an unforeseeable incident. Pointing your weapon and pulling the trigger doesn't qualify. There are no words to describe the idiocy of this person. Absolutely no excuse for him and I hope he's prosecuted to the full extent of the law. :banghead:

This is a classic example of a negligent discharge!

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

This is an inexcusable and preventable loss of life! My sympathies for the Pastor's family!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

dlh

Post by dlh »

You are out hunting and you see/hear "something"....there is a "good shot" and a "bad shot"---

The good shot--you have identified your target and you know it is safe. If it is a good distance away you have even put your binoculars on it to make sure. You have ruled out "pray and spray" mentality. Take the shot.

The bad shot--you fire at "something" without identifying it first or checking to see if there is anything beyond the target. You might even "pray and spray" as it begins to run. Yeah, that black calf you shot at 300 yards at dusk---well, it looked like a wild hog. Don't take that shot.

Safe hunting requires a discipline of mind. Sadly the defendant in this case failed to exercise it.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

puma guy wrote:This is not an accident. An accident is an unforeseeable incident. Pointing your weapon and pulling the trigger doesn't qualify. There are no words to describe the idiocy of this person. Absolutely no excuse for him and I hope he's prosecuted to the full extent of the law. :banghead:

:iagree:

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Oh my, how terribly sad. Wife, little kids, and a church family - all left behind. Prayers for those folks, it will take a very long time for healing.

A guest and friend of the guest were hunting hogs on a friend's ranch a few years ago and the friend of the guest thought he spotted a hog and the guest told his friend to NOT SHOOT. And the guy pulled the trigger and killed the owner's buffalo. To add insult to injury the kid that shot made no effort to compensate the owner. They were immediately kicked off the ranch.

These kinds of people have no business hunting - stupid is as stupid does.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Weg

Post by Weg »

I was hunting with a guy once in the coastal mountains of California for Aaodad. The ram of a lifetime appeared through the fog one morning, not knowing the area, or what lay behind him in the fog, we passed. Never saw him again. Later we returned on a clear day, had we shot and missed, that bullet would have sailed across a valley to who knows where. Very sorry for this guy and his family, always know what you are shooting at and what lies beyond.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Oldgringo wrote:

This is a classic example of manslaughter. If the DA wanted to go for murder, I don't think it would be too hard to argue Depraved Indifference
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Upon arrival, officers found Rev. Michael “Seth” Marsh, white male, age 26 of Taylorsville, suffering from several gunshot wounds to the chest area of his body.
The man said he fired two shots at the brown and grey movement at the tree. The man had a .223 hunting rifle. When the man realized he had shot Mr. Marsh, he rendered aid, and called 911 for help.
Assuming the story is accurate (big assumption, I know), that is awfully good shooting for someone who didn't know what they were shooting at. I am curious to hear more details like distance and such. They mentioned fog so that might be part of it. I hate judge on little info, but I find it hard not to.

I see at the bottom the man has been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Pawpaw wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:

This is a classic example of manslaughter. If the DA wanted to go for murder, I don't think it would be too hard to argue Depraved Indifference
There i$ definitely $ome $ort of liability there.

Return to “Never Again!!”