Health risk regarding gun powder

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 3

Health risk regarding gun powder

Post by KinnyLee »

Other than lead content in the primer and the bullet itself, are there any health risk in handling gun powder? Just wondering.

nuparadigm
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nuparadigm »

Ingesting powder or its residue could be toxic over the long run. It's best to thoroughly wash your hands after a reloading session - especially before you put anything in your mouth.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Topic author
KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

nuparadigm wrote:Ingesting powder or its residue could be toxic over the long run. It's best to thoroughly wash your hands after a reloading session - especially before you put anything in your mouth.
So, it's not anything that can be harmful from breathing in? And yes, I agree with washing hands after handloading. Thanks for the advice. :cool:

Tom

Re: Health risk regarding gun powder

Post by Tom »

KinnyLee wrote:Other than lead content in the primer and the bullet itself, are there any health risk in handling gun powder? Just wondering.
KinnyLee,

Reading my container of UNIQUE there is a Danger warning regarding skin contact, inhalation, or ingestion which
could cause severe headache, nausea and lowering of blood pressure.
And there is a list of chemicals and CAS Reg #'s that you can look up if you want more detail.
Search at: http://www.toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/ (when it is working)
for: 9004-70-0, 55-63-0, 122-39-4, 85-98-3, 8050-09-7 and 800928-5003.
Most are harmless, but then there are a couple...

Bottom line, just treat it like you would a flammable lawn fertilizer and you should be fine.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Topic author
KinnyLee

Re: Health risk regarding gun powder

Post by KinnyLee »

Tom wrote: KinnyLee,

Reading my container of UNIQUE there is a Danger warning regarding skin contact, inhalation, or ingestion which
could cause severe headache, nausea and lowering of blood pressure.
And there is a list of chemicals and CAS Reg #'s that you can look up if you want more detail.
Search at: http://www.toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/ (when it is working)
for: 9004-70-0, 55-63-0, 122-39-4, 85-98-3, 8050-09-7 and 800928-5003.
Most are harmless, but then there are a couple...

Bottom line, just treat it like you would a flammable lawn fertilizer and you should be fine.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Hi Tom. Thanks for the link. I've looked all over my bottle of Clays and all it said was "Extremely Flammable. This is why I ask this question. I do clean up after each loading session, and I stop and clean up any spill I have of gunpowder. I try to keep the area reasonably clean. I will check into this link you've provided. Thanks. :cool:

T3hK1w1

Post by T3hK1w1 »

I cannot help but point out that it might pose a health risk if it caught fire... :shock:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Double base powders like Red Dot, Unique and Bullseye contain nitroglycerin. That's why the health warnings about severe headache, nausea and lowering of blood pressure. They also contain diphenylamine, which is toxic. That's why it's important to avoid skin contact and inhalation.

And as nuparadigm wrote - wash your hands after a reloading session.

For more information:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0456.html
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0240.html

phddan

Post by phddan »

The only thing I touch while reloading is lead from the bullets.
The only problems I have ever heard of, is from shooting in an indoor range with poor ventilation. I can't remember hearing of any health problems from the chemicals in reloading.
Now, pinching fingers in the die, sore muscles, yea.:shock:

Dan

ETA: I take that back. I have heard of elevated lead levels attributed to having a vibratory cleaner in a non ventilated room, and the person was exposed to dust from the cleaner.

Dan

Return to “Reloading Forum”