Smelting range scrap to make boolits...

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SeaHawk
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Smelting range scrap to make boolits...

Post by SeaHawk »

Nice pile of ingots.

I'm old and have been casting most of my life but I have never tried reclaiming range scrap. Do you use it as is or doctor it with tin/antimony?

#2 and Lino are getting very expensive. :patriot:
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

Very Nice!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

My friend Bob, many years ago, and I, did something similar a couple of times, although we didn't get near as many spent cases.

We did run into a problem a couple of times.

The first time was what we eventually determined was a water/steam explosion. Bob was standing a couple of feet from the pot when he saw a pile of cases and such collapse, then something like a little volcano spurt, and then "POP" molten lead spattered several feet in every direction, not much, but enough to be scary. We decided that a case in the mix had had some water in it and had been sufficiently insulated in the mix that when the pile collapsed, the water flashed to steam resulting in the explosion.

I wasn't there for the second one, which Bob said was infinitely more scary. Due to rain, Bob had moved the burner and pot into an old garage behind his house. With the doors open he was sure there was plenty of ventilation, the garage having both front and back swinging doors. Bob had just walked away from the pot and out the front door to have a smoke, and was pulling off his gloves when there was the sound of a shot, and a large flash behind him, and molten lead spattering all over the inside of the garage.

We had a heck of a time cleaning up the mess, which did not result in a fire but could well have due to the gas cans stored in there.

We found a case that apparently had still had a primer in it, if not powder and projectile.

One thing I could never figure out is why there were so many cases downrange.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Seabear
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Seabear »

Ok Andy, I am headed to the HOT side,LOL. I went to Academy and got my set up including a ladle and a neat fish strainer that I think I can use to get the copper out with.

I went to the club where fortunatley (I think) I am on the Board of Directors. My first bay was mildly succesful, about 15 pounds but took too long. I did piuck it out pretty clean though. Was told of the "mother load" I would find at the rifle range. I waited for two guys to get done shooting and went to check. Not much but did find some 12 gauge slugs. I finally got in to the pistol bay I wanted with the closest burm to the shooting line. YAY!!! :hurry: :thumbs2: In about 5 minutes I used my fish fry strainer and sifted out anouther 25-30 pounds.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all this stuff. If I had had more time and buckets, I could have picked up 200 pounds. I now know how to mine this stuff. LOL

Tomorrow I will see if I can make lead/bread. LOL
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dave2 »

Speaking of smelting range scrap... does anyone know how hard it is to melt down metal shavings into useful metal bars? I keep thinking about getting one of those computerized milling machines... I know what I'd do about wood scrap, but metal is probably too valuable to just throw away the leftovers.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Gyrogearhead
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Gyrogearhead »

Dave2 wrote:Speaking of smelting range scrap... does anyone know how hard it is to melt down metal shavings into useful metal bars? I keep thinking about getting one of those computerized milling machines... I know what I'd do about wood scrap, but metal is probably too valuable to just throw away the leftovers.
Hi Dave,

Andy is right, it depends upon which metal you want to melt.

For Aluminum you can use pretty much the same gear as for lead. The melting temp is just a bit higher but if you're thinking of melting brass, iron or steel it's a whole 'nother ball game. The melting temps are in the 3,000 degree F range and you must use a graphite crucible and a high temperature furnace. You also need specialized handling equipment that keeps you a safe distance away from the hot crucible during the melting and pouring operation.

There's a lot of info on the web; just google "amateur foundery" or "home foundry" and you'll get an idea of what other people have done in terms of metal casting at home.

Also look at jewelery making sites as the equipment and techniques used for gold and silver are the same as you would use in making small brass or iron parts. If you are wanting to cast items bigger than your fist then you are talking industrial scale gear. But it should be noted that resoursefull amateurs have been casting 100# iron items in their backyards for centuries. All it takes is a lot of "want to" or money or both. Money just makes the process quicker.

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Andy, looking at the above, you may want to consider a casting thermometer in your future -- especially if you ever decide to process wheel weights. From the colors, it looks like you got things pretty hot.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

AndyC wrote:I can't afford a thermometer yet, and I'm still getting used to how hot my new burner actually gets. I said that I know it's too hot - is that all right with you? :totap:
$56 from Amazon, and good up to nearly 2.5k℉, plus you can practice your draw whenever you want to know how hot it is.

(I've never used it, nor do I know anyone who has. The brand name kinda scares me.)
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Gyrogearhead wrote:
Dave2 wrote:Speaking of smelting range scrap... does anyone know how hard it is to melt down metal shavings into useful metal bars? I keep thinking about getting one of those computerized milling machines... I know what I'd do about wood scrap, but metal is probably too valuable to just throw away the leftovers.
Hi Dave,

Andy is right, it depends upon which metal you want to melt.

For Aluminum you can use pretty much the same gear as for lead. The melting temp is just a bit higher but if you're thinking of melting brass, iron or steel it's a whole 'nother ball game. The melting temps are in the 3,000 degree F range and you must use a graphite crucible and a high temperature furnace. You also need specialized handling equipment that keeps you a safe distance away from the hot crucible during the melting and pouring operation.

There's a lot of info on the web; just google "amateur foundery" or "home foundry" and you'll get an idea of what other people have done in terms of metal casting at home.

Also look at jewelery making sites as the equipment and techniques used for gold and silver are the same as you would use in making small brass or iron parts. If you are wanting to cast items bigger than your fist then you are talking industrial scale gear. But it should be noted that resoursefull amateurs have been casting 100# iron items in their backyards for centuries. All it takes is a lot of "want to" or money or both. Money just makes the process quicker.

Gerry
Thanks, I didn't know iron and steel had to get that hot, and for some reason I hadn't thought to google for those terms. :tiphat:

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

I'm waiting for Andy to post the pics of our smelting party....OK I see the pics above...
Last edited by v-rog on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

Return to “Reloading Forum”