Back to reloading...some info would be of help...

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Back to reloading...some info would be of help...

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have not reloaded for about 20 years. I still have all my equipment. RCBS single stage and everything I need to get going again. I am specifically interested in loading .38 special, .357 magnum, 44 special, 44 magnum. I have tungsten carbide dies. Are these still considered "the stuff" or have they invented something more space age? LOL... I may move up to a digital scale.

I need powder, primers and bullets. Could I persuade some of you to give advice on best places to purchase these items. Maybe bring me up to date on advancements that have made life easier since the "olden days". I believe I remember using Blue Dot for my 38/357 mag and unique 2400 for my 44/44 mag. These powders still around or something better?

Oh... my reloading books are all at least 25 years old... I can't imagine how the loads in them could have changed much. Anyone want to throw in on this as well?

natgas
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Back to reloading...some info would be of help...

Post by natgas »

Carbide dies are still the 'thing'!

Powder Valley is a great place for primers/powder

I only use bullets from Precision Delta so I have no other suggestions.

I'll let others reply on the rest

Good to have you back in the game
DoubleRFirearms; $20 transfers in The Woodlands/Conroe/Magnolia areas
DoubleRFirearms.net

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Can I buy powder and primers online?

natgas

Post by natgas »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Can I buy powder and primers online?
See above---Powder Valley
DoubleRFirearms; $20 transfers in The Woodlands/Conroe/Magnolia areas
DoubleRFirearms.net

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Can I buy powder and primers online?
I would suggest no to start with.

You are still getting started and will likely want to try different powders and loads for a while until you zero in enough to want to buy in bulk.

There is a $25 flat HazMat shipping fee added to online orders in addition to normal freight charges. So purchasing one lb of powder for $20 becomes probibitively expensive when you tack another $30 in shipping and HazMat on the order. Getting started, I would buy from a local store or at a gun show, even though your cost per lb will be a little higher.

However, after you know exactly the brands you want to stock, you can save a fair amount buying online. For example, purchase 16 lbs of powder and 10,000 primers for roughly $525, and the $25 HazMat fee is only about 5% of the cost (and is actually less than sales tax). Depending on how much you shoot, that stock can last a while.

If you do not want to buy that much by yourself, getting local like-minded people to participate in a group buy is another option.

But for right now, I'd start with one lb of powder and 1,000 primers purchased locally. Then experiment by sampling other kinds of powders one lb at a time. You don't want to buy a 16 lb jug of Unique, for example, only to decide you like Universal better.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Grillmark55

Post by Grillmark55 »

First I would consider getting a new book with load data. No, I don't think that much has changed, but why risk it, especially if you start trying new loads.

I currently hand load 357 magnum, 9mm and 45 ACP. I started out using Hodgden TiteGroup in the 357 Magnum cartridges (4.5 grains for a 125 gr lead bullet). I had an opportunity to try some IMR Trail Boss and I was hooked. The weight for the same bullet dropped to 4 grains, but at that weight, a double charge completely fills the brass, so no chance of a double charge (not so with most other powders). Only have a couple hundred rounds through my Smith & Wesson, but not one bit of problem with leading, and the recoil is much less than when I was using TiteGroup. The accuracy is right there too.

I agree with the mail order comment - once you pay the Hazmat fee you are paying more. There are a few places in Houston that send email updates when they get supplies in, but not a clue about what is in the Dallas area. This forum and Google are great resources!

Good luck - and welcome back! :fire
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Some great advice coming here! Makes sense to hold off on buying online until I get a proper load figured out. That is a pretty good size fee and I had no thoughts of buying large amounts of powder at the start. I also see the question about using my older books has been answered. I will get some new loading books.

Thanks folks!!! Time for me to start looking for a couple good reloading books.

Grillmark55

Post by Grillmark55 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Some great advice coming here! Makes sense to hold off on buying online until I get a proper load figured out. That is a pretty good size fee and I had no thoughts of buying large amounts of powder at the start. I also see the question about using my older books has been answered. I will get some new loading books.

Thanks folks!!! Time for me to start looking for a couple good reloading books.
One other thought - not sure about stores in your area, but one store here in Houston (10Ring) has quite a few books out so that their customers can come in and look up loads without having to buy the entire book.
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I believe I remember using Blue Dot for my 38/357 mag and unique 2400 for my 44/44 mag. These powders still around or something better?
I like both of those powders, but what has changed is that Alliant no long recommends Blue Dot for 357 magnum loads with 125gr bullets. Heavier bullets are fine, but then you can load heavy 357 and 44 mag loads with 2400.

Look at Alliant's site for data:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... ?gtypeid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also request a printed copy of their data:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

here's the Blue Dot warning:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_st ... tices.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

I used to use Blue Dot, but since the warning put out by Alliant and a guy I know blowing uo a gun with it I turned what I had left of it into fertilizer. 2400 is still a great magnum powder as is H110 and WW296. I use mostly Unique and Titegroup now days.

Bullets, there a lot of options now, I like the plated bullets made by Berry and Rainier along with the coated bullets made by Precision and Bayou. I rarely use jacketed bullets in handguns when I do I like the Nosler sporting handgun bullets.

Oh yes, +1 on a digital scale, just don't get rid of your balance scale you will still find uses for it. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Wow... Good info. Thanks folks! Things change when you are away from it twenty years. :cheers2:

Return to “Reloading Forum”