RCBS Press replacement part Question

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jiannichan
Posts in topic: 8

Re: RCBS Press replacement part Question

Post by jiannichan »

The only dies I have are 9mm right now that I bought so my friend can load. The only caliber I shoot are 9mm, 45ACP and 223/556. Somewhere down the line I plan on buying a 308 bolt gun.

Another question regarding dies, does it have to be RCBS? I think the 9mm die I bought is a Lee.
-jchan

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

No need for a specific brand of die unless there is a specific feature only that brand offers that you want or need.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

This is my original post so I wanted to update it instead of create a new one. I just got the RCBS reloader from my friend today and will be heading to Cabelas to pick up some things for it.

Was wondering what I need to buy for it.
I live in a 725sqft apt, so I will be mounting it to a 2x6 board and clamping it to my dinner table.

Aside from the obvious things..bullets, shells, primer, powder, dies...(already have them) what else will I need to get started?

I do have the Lyman reloading book which I plan on reading before starting. I plan on reloading 45, 9mm and 556/223

Thanks everyone!

-jchan

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ammoboy2 »

You are going to find that is the most expensive free item.

If you get RCBS X-dies the 556 cases will not strech and not have to be trimmed (though the instructions recommend a first time trim). I recomend the Imperial die was for lube a small tin last for a very long time.

Topic author
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

I have everything I need added to my Christmas wishlist on Amazon which is about $300 for it all. Hopefully my wife will get most, if not everything I need. I just bought a Hornady die for 223 and it is going to come with 100 free bullets by mail and I had 9mm dies already. I don't plan on starting until after the New Year anyways. Thanks for everyones input!
-jchan

Topic author
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

Bringing up this really old thread back from the dead. Finally moved into a house in The Colony and I have my own space with one of the spare bedrooms. I got my bench set up but I need to organize a little bit. A friend of mine had a workbench where he destroyed the top so he gave me the legs, which are very similar to the Edsal ones from Home Depot. with the outlet knock outs. I picked up a butcher block countertop from Ikea that was on clearance. Bought a 5" bench vise, and sent en email to RCBS about the replacement parts. I plan on replacing the closet door so I can make it lockable to keep my tools/ammo and such in there. It current has one of those bi-folding doors. I don't have a picture of it currently since most of my stuff are still in boxes since we just moved in last week.
-jchan

Don2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Don2 »

Whoever said that" that will be the most expensive FREE press you got" is right, But in a good way. :fire

You always find ANOTHER tool/toy to buy for it or the reloading project.
But it's cool.......You'll love it, just take your time and read,read,read, all the manuals and anything else on reloading you can, there is a lot of good info out there, just make sure it comes from the right sources.
If I remember correctly, on the RCBS website there are educational vids.
Plus they have a DVD or CD on reloading, I've got one around here somewhere....It mostly about their equipment but not too bad.

Welcome to the fun...

Don2

mjoplin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mjoplin »

I started off with the Lee hand primer with my single stage (Lee Classic)and love it. Beware this is a known addiction... I now have a Dillon 550 on the bench too and use both!

Never did like to prime with a single stage press. I like the feel of priming by hand.
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

Return to “Reloading Forum”