pistol powder ?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 1

pistol powder ?

Post by chuck j »

New gun shop opened in Wichita falls a few weeks ago called Gunco , they had a VERY nice assortment of powder including several types of pistol powder . I snagged 3 lb's of Tightgroup myself , $23.45 a pound . They are also stocking Dillon reloading equip . Also lots of other powder .

trashysquid

Re: pistol powder ?

Post by trashysquid »

chuck j wrote:New gun shop opened in Wichita falls a few weeks ago called Gunco , they had a VERY nice assortment of powder including several types of pistol powder.
I've been seeing more pistol powder around as of late as well, and at more reasonable prices...although there are still some yahoos who are still charging $35/lb. of Bullseye at local gun shows. I really hope that people will soon stop paying those prices because of the (hopefully) increased supply that's starting to show.

Feed&Guns

Re: pistol powder ?

Post by Feed&Guns »

trashysquid wrote:
chuck j wrote:New gun shop opened in Wichita falls a few weeks ago called Gunco , they had a VERY nice assortment of powder including several types of pistol powder.
I've been seeing more pistol powder around as of late as well, and at more reasonable prices...although there are still some yahoos who are still charging $35/lb. of Bullseye at local gun shows. I really hope that people will soon stop paying those prices because of the (hopefully) increased supply that's starting to show.
I've always wondered what kind of business model those people have. I've never paid attention to gun show powder people before, but that's before I started reloading. You have to figure from their perspective here's how the price is set:

1. Invest in bulk buys from Powder Valley, or, if they have a resale certificate, they might be able to buy wholesale from major distributors (although many won't deal with non bricks n mortar stores): $20 or more after shipping and hazmat for him to get it.
2. Booth Fee: I have no idea how much it cost to rent a table at a gun show, but I don't think it's free.
3. Time invested: If he figures he could flip burgers for $8/hr, and he had to order, packup, setup, sit and wait, break down, go home, and unpack, he might have 12 hours or more per day in being at the show. Call it 24 hours over two days, so he has to make almost $200 profit to keep from flipping burgers.
4. If you pay with a credit card, they might charge 3% off the top. If you have a 20% gross margin, that's 15% of your gross profit to pay Visa.
5. Basic Econ 101: Supply and Demand. If it's hard to find and he has it, and you want it, then the price goes up. If your lawn guy charges you too much, you might decide to mow your own lawn. If you feel $10 is worth paying someone to wash your car, then maybe you pay even though you could do it yourself cheaper. If the guy at the next table down has Bullseye for $34/lb and the guy next to him has it for $31 and the LGS has it everyday for $27, you can bet the guy selling for $35 won't sell much that day.

How many times have you filled up your truck just to drive 1/2 mile and see diesel for $0.15 cheaper? Then you think "damn, I should have waited". Othertimes, you might not even give it a though because you're just talking about $4/tank anyway, right? Same thing with powder. If you want Bullseye and he's the only guy who has it, you can't say "you're over charging at $35." Just don't buy it. If nobody buys it, he'll come down. If someone buys it, then I guess that guy either needed it more or felt it was a reasonable value. God Bless Capitalism!

BTW, I hadn't seen Varget in over a year. I bought 2 1-lb jars when I saw it for $41 per pound in Lockhart, TX! The very next week my distributor had it in stock (5 1-lb jars) so I bought all of those too. Needless to say, I paid MUCH less than $41/lb wholesale but nobody had had Varget for so long I figured if I wanted it and it was so scarce, it was worth $41.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Texas Certified CHL/LTC Instructor
FFL 01 SOT 3 - www.aparmory.net

Return to “Reloading Forum”