.223 v 5.56

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

.223 v 5.56

Post by sjfcontrol »

I'm fairly new to reloading, and so far have only experimented with handgun loads. I've been trying to figure out what is needed to reload some AR-15 ammo, and have some questions regarding the differences between .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO.

First, I don't see any reload data specifically for the 5.56. The Hornady book lists 223 Remington fired from a Remington 700 bolt-action rifle, and 223 Remington Service Rifle Data. The first only includes bullets up to 60 grains, the Service Rifle data starts at 68 grains and goes to 80 grains.

Is that a differentiation between 223 and 556? Is the difference between the two just a heavier bullet and therefore higher pressures? Is there a difference in the casings of the two to handle the pressure differences?

The speer book only has one section for 223 Remington, with bullets from 40 gn to 70 gn.

Do you use the same dies and setup for both?

Thanks in advance for straightening me out here!
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: .223 v 5.56

Post by Beiruty »

In Hornady 9th there is section for 5.56 NATO. Page 157.
I short 5.56 has:
1) higher pressure spec
2) Chamber is different from Rem. 0.223
3) You can shoot .223 in 5.56 rifle
4) You can NOT shoot 5.56 in .223 rifle

Case is the same BUT, some (or all?) 5.56 has the primer crimped in. To reload, you need to swage or ream the primer pocket.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Beiruty wrote:In Hornady 9th there is section for 5.56 NATO. Page 157.
I short 5.56 has:
1) higher pressure spec
2) Chamber is different from Rem. 0.223
3) You can shoot .223 in 5.56 rifle
4) You can NOT shoot 5.56 in .223 rifle

Case is the same BUT, some (or all?) 5.56 has the primer crimped in. To reload, you need to swage or ream the primer pocket.
Thanks for the note regarding Hornady 9th (which I only have in electronic form, and didn't check). That section was not in Hornady #8.
Never Forget. Image

SharpShooter58
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SharpShooter58 »

I reloaded many thousands of rounds in the past but have been out of reloading for about 10 years. I am just now getting back into it and plan to use my brand-spanking new Lee progressive loader. While I, so far, have only .45ACP dies, I will be getting the rest of the required calibers as funds allow. Don't ask what happened to all of my RCBS dies from long ago (which I have been told I can use in the Lee loader) cuz I can't find them to same my life. In the past when I reloaded, I used a single-stage Rock Chucker. I have been buying and hoarding primers when I could find what I needed; they are in the safe so I should be ok in that arena. I still need the powder, which is proving to be my latest difficulty finding locally at a reasonable price.

My first question is for sjfcontrol... where did you get a digital copy of Hornady's #9? While I usually prefer the pleasure of having a real, live book so that if I want to thumb through it, I can, I can deal with a digital copy.

My second question is for the general population here... My son has an AR-platform rifle in 5.56 and I intend to either buy one or build it. Does most everyone shoot 55 grain boat tails? I am open to suggestion.

-Saul

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Hornady reloading #9 is in the iBooks store for Apple devices. However, it appears to be "image" oriented rather than text.
Never Forget. Image

SharpShooter58
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SharpShooter58 »

Hmmm, which means not searchable....

OK, thanks!

-Saul

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Western Powders, who distributes Ramshot and Accurate powders, has a free downloadable PDF for all their load data.

Pages 21-23 give a ton of .223 Remington data and pages 23-25 give 5.56 x45mm NATO data.

Although I've not used Ramshot for .223/5.56, I have enormous respect for their pistol powders and the quality of their load data. Every Ramshot pistol powder I've tried has metered superbly, burned cleanly, and given great results. Both the Ramshot TAC and Ramshot X-Terminator powders are good for this round. There is also load data for a half dozen Accurate powders.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Jumping Frog wrote:Western Powders, who distributes Ramshot and Accurate powders, has a free downloadable PDF for all their load data.

Pages 21-23 give a ton of .223 Remington data and pages 23-25 give 5.56 x45mm NATO data.

Although I've not used Ramshot for .223/5.56, I have enormous respect for their pistol powders and the quality of their load data. Every Ramshot pistol powder I've tried has metered superbly, burned cleanly, and given great results. Both the Ramshot TAC and Ramshot X-Terminator powders are good for this round. There is also load data for a half dozen Accurate powders.
Thanks, that's quite helpful!
Never Forget. Image

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have used the Ramshot TAC to load both 55 grain and 75/77 grain bullets in both 223 levels and 5.56 levels. I called their customer sercive to ask questions about duplicating the 262 mod 1 load that Black Hills puts out and they told me to use the 2520 powder instead of the TAC. FWIW, all of my rifles are 5.56 but I generally load my ammo to 223 levels just to cut down on powder use and wear and tear on my rifles. H335 is a great powder for 55 grain bullets. If the military pull down powder ever becomes available again, buy some of that. It shoots great and is very clean.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

When reloading 5.56 and some .223 remember to remove the primer crimp or you will experience "some" stress when repriming.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

rotor

Post by rotor »

I really don't like reloading .223/5.56 now that it is so cheap and available because it is a pain in the butt but I do save the brass possibly for future times. There is an interesting article at

http://home.comcast.net/~mattmcginnis/r ... us_556.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which really tells the difference. If I am going to reload this stuff in the future I will just reload the .223 and not mess with the 5.56. 5.56 cases all have military crimp, are smaller inside, and just take more prep to relaod than are worth it. Now my .308 are worth reloading because they are still quite expensive, the work load is the same as the .223 but I can save some bucks on those hog buster rounds. Some ammo is just financially worthwhile reloading and some isn't. .380 acp is ( for now ). 9mm right now isn't. 45 LC is. 12G isn't. I have tons of supplies from when you couldn't get ammo and when (if) it gets back there again I reload. Starting to see 22LR again but hoarders are still out there.
Recommended primer for AR-15 is CC-41.

Return to “Reloading Forum”