Powder Coating Boolits

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Powder Coating Boolits

Post by MoJo »

Something from my Primordial past rekindled my interest in cast boolits. For those who are unaware a "bullet" is store bought, usually jacketed, a "Boolit" is one you make yourself usually cast.

While perusing http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I learned about powder coating boolits. There are more ways to do this than you can shake a stick at. I read a bunch and went to Harbor Freight and got me some red and yellow powder. Here's a pic of my first try, not bad eh?

The boolits are the Lee TL 452 -230 - 2R Check back I'll be coating mire and doing some range testing soon. :thumbs2:

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

brhalltx

Re: Powder Coating Boolits

Post by brhalltx »

Interesting; there are some long threads over there... Sounds like there are a lot of people doing it.

ddstuder
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ddstuder »

Here is my thread on the subject viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74138

It works! :cheers2: No more messy wax/grease lube for me!
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Don2

Post by Don2 »

Very Nice....

I have been wanting to do this for a very long time...I just can't seem to pull the trigger. ;-)
I have so many "projects" im doing and a bunch on the back burner.
So when I get all that "stuff" done and get out of a monetary slump i'm in I will start.
I have read all the posts from various forums and have talked to guys doing it now. It seems to be the new way to go so far.....???

At least that way, I won't have to make any new bullet lube...I have a few year supply already..!!
Oh well...Looks nice.
There are many colors and even speckled ones you can make. Even clear coated ones too.

Have fun.
Don2

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

I have a bunch of linotype metal just begging to become multicolored bullets. :mrgreen:

Don2

Post by Don2 »

I wonder what will be the next evolution in bullet coatings????
These is a long short list of everything from lard & wax and it's varients to powder coating & electroplating, and don't forget copper jackets and solids...!!! ;-)

Don2

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Help me out here, guys.. what's the point?
I've polished a few motors with powder coat and I've found that the implementation varies quite a bit.. Some powders get soft at operating temperatures of valve covers, and others survive temperatures associate with the fins on oil cooled engines...

I trust nothing (other than tool boxes, which are pretty good) that comes from HArbor Freight... IE - China.

Topic author
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I loaded some .30-06 and some .300 Blackout ammo with an assortment of PCed Boolits and spent tne afternoon at the range last Wednesday they all went bang and most of them hit were they were sent. My Model 700 d just come back from that trigger recall and needed to be re-zeroed so I was shooting at 25 yards. I was getting sone accptable groups nothing to brag about.

The real surprise came when I went to clean the bore at home. I had fired over 50 rounds of medium power ammo loaded with bullets cast with run of the mill alloy and coated with Harbor Freight Red or Yellow. There was no sign of leading, and the only thing I got out of the barrel was powder fouling. I think I am in love. Now, let's see what water quenched bullets with PC will do velocity wise.

Here's a couple of pix of my latest efforts. The bullet is the Lee TL309-230-5R that is dropping about 237 gr with the alloy I am using.

L to R two coats of HF Yellow, One coat of HF Red with one coat of Yellow over (pixelated effect) two coats of HF Red, bare bullets.

Image :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

Ohmergerd...perwdercut...

45ACP army...

45/70, aka 405 grain artillery...

Checking seating depth on zombie boolits....

Dude...colors....duuuuuude...9mm & 30 cal
Cheers!

Mark

Return to “Reloading Forum”