What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 48

Re: What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

Post by Beiruty »

I recommend to have some white table top cloth to cover the top and the sides and protect from wood splinters. You can staple it in.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

flechero wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:I built this:
Next weekend I'm going to tackle creating a tumbler out of an old washing machine I picked up.
Nice bench- I also had to shrink down my vision to fit my office... I'll suggest that you go ahead and build a shelf on the bottom to hold your bullets and brass. You'll want the weight ESPECIALLY since you are on carpet. That will cut way down on movement.

I'm also on carpet- I put 1/2" carriage bolts upside down so that I had narrow steel feet to push to the sub floor... made a huge difference. My bench no longer moves at all, which is a big deal when feeling how the primers are seating.

I'd love to see what you do with the old washer- I'm also trying to figure out what to build for increased capacity in wet tumbling.
I have a maytag washer, but it appears to have almost the same motor and control board as this:

So I am going to totally geek out and put together a controller with an Arduino hooked up to a timer of some kind. Maybe make it so that I can vary the time on the fly with a knob or something... I'll be sure to share what I come up with as it happens...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Beiruty wrote:I recommend to have some white table top cloth to cover the top and the sides and protect from wood splinters. You can staple it in.
That is actually a pretty good idea that I hadnt thought of. I did try to lightly sand the top and the corners of the plywood so it wasnt so jagged, but there's still splinters to be had there!

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Would love to hear what you think of it. I cleaned the primer pockets of 100 pieces of brass this weekend by hand, and chamfered/deburred by hand. I can't do that by hand much longer.

flechero
Posts in topic: 21

Post by flechero »

I bought a cheap Lee SS press & universal decapping die and set up a deprime only station in the garage. My trade off for loading in the house is that I deprime and wet tumble before it comes into the house. This new set up works quicker and easier than my jig and punch. I ran a few hundred last night just to see how the new mount and primer chute works. :cheers2:

Now if I could just find a suitable container to wet tumble 500+ at a time, I'd be all set, except for the shooting!!!

tomneal
Posts in topic: 16

Post by tomneal »

What a better time to reload than a cold wet weekend.

My Dillon 650 was set up for .38 Super.

I reloaded 1000 yesterday and today I am finishing up the last of my Nobel Sport SP2. I am on my last powder station full. With plenty of brass, bullets, and primers.

When Brazos Custom built my .38 Super race gun in 2000, Bob L. suggested Nobel Sport SP2, Montana Gold 115 Gr JHP, That's the same load I am loading today.

In 2005, I was at the range lamenting the end of my SP2 and John G. offered to swap the last of his, pound-for-pound, for his current powder. I took him up on the offer and 11 years later, I am finally finishing it off.

The primers I am using are from 2008. After BHO was elected, I decided that I needed to stock up on primers. I bought an 8 year supply. I miss estimated. I have more than half of them left. It must have been a 16 year supply. I don't think that's a problem.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Deitz83
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Deitz83 »

I helped a friend train his dog and in return he made me a small reloading table. I have my mind set on the Dillon 550B.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

This evening, I reloaded another 100rds of 9mm.
I got the 34mm scope rings, the scope level bubble. Tomorrow, I am expecting the Burris XTR-2 to land, along with the LEE 243 4-dies set.
Beiruty,

flechero
Posts in topic: 21

Post by flechero »

Been a busy week of depriming and wet tumbling!! It helped that my wife was out of town for 2 days. Also managed to sit down Sunday and load 500+ rds of .45ACP. :fire
Attachments
Load prep.JPG

Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

AndyC wrote:Ordered one of these puppies to trim/prep my rifle brass more easily:

Bought the exact model about months ago and love it, especially for resizing and added a swaging tool for the spent military brass. This is a great piece of equipment.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Surgeon wrote:
AndyC wrote:Ordered one of these puppies to trim/prep my rifle brass more easily:

Bought the exact model about months ago and love it, especially for resizing and added a swaging tool for the spent military brass. This is a great piece of equipment.
Good for trimming? Accurate?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am trying to load 243 Win, 24" barrel 1:10, I am loading 87gr Hornady V-Max using Vargat. The rifle is brand new and the new Burris scope is not zeroed yet.
Vargat load for this bullet is 34gr to 36.5gr. that's pretty tight range.
I plan to load:
1) 3 @ 34.5gr
2) 10 @ 35.0gr
3) 3 @ 35.5gr
4) 3 @ 36.0 gr
I will use up to 7 rds of 35gr to zero and the scope. COAL is 2.595"
Last edited by Beiruty on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,

Return to “Reloading Forum”