What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Re: What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

Post by rotor »

Churned out some 45ACP, 230 gr FMJ, 4.2 gr w231, 1.256 col using my new Lee Auto Drum powder measure. Would not cycle my Ruger sr1911 and need to bump my loads but didn't have time. Auto drum is fantastic at turning out exact drops with w231 on every drop, very easy to adjust. Even tested with 700x and it did a very good job. Probably need to be closer to 5 gr with w231.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 48

Post by Beiruty »

Clean and fully prepared including priming 50 cases of 30-06 and 50 cases of 300WM.
SS Wet Washed some 100 223 cases and 65 308 cases and 4 6.5mm Grendel those are gifted by Bitter Clinger.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I just loaded a 100 rds of 9mm 115gr Xtreme plated bullet over 5.2gr of CFE-Pistol. Once the AP press is setup, it should functional correctly. I used the Hornady case feeder and Bully Adapter over Hornady bullet feeding die with 4-tubes on top. 2-oops. 1 case had a primer upside down, and the second was dropped into bin with no bullet.... :banghead:
Beiruty,

Surgeon
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Surgeon »

AndyC wrote:Finally deprimed/tumbled 200+ .308 cases I've shot through my bolt-gun - busy with trimming:

I hate case-prep but looking forward to filling these with 178gr A-max Hornady bullets.
Your brass looks good and shiny. What media do you tumble it in? Also do you aneal your brass? And lastly, how many reloads do you get out of your brass? Really curious. Thanks.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

AndyC wrote:That's about 4 hours in corn-cob media with a little liquid car-polish added (about a thimble-full). I just aim for clean, they don't have to sparkle but these turned out nicely.

They're all once-fired factory cases for my bolt-gun so I can't say at this point yet, but when I've neck-sized only for my FAL (and with semi-decent local brass) and warm loads, I was getting about 6-7 loads per case before the necks split.

I haven't bothered annealing my brass in a few decades, although I probably should start again now that I have a rifle accurate enough to benefit from it - but it's early days yet in loading for it so that's the last thing I'm looking at right now ;)
Thanks. I've heard about adding the liquid car wax but never talked to anyone whose actually done it. Good to know. I've been using crushed walnut and about to switch to stainless steel. I heard some good results from it. And I think I'll give the car wax a try as well. Thanks much.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

Something for you to try: tumble with media add 1-2 capfuls of Hoppe's #9 you will have nice clean brass and smells great.

If you shoot a bolt gun from a bench keep a patch with #9 on it and wipe the necks as soon as they are fired they just wipe clean, it really makes cleaning much faster. Most of my rifles are tight neck wildcats I also keep a brass brush and clean the id also it really cuts the tumble time way down. Even been known to keep 00 or 000 steel wool there also it all helps a lot.

If your bench shooting or as I was hunting prairie dogs all day long keep 2 pcs of a light colored bath towel about 2" wide 2-3 " shorter than your barrel less brake if you have one, if needed rubber band muzzle end, keep wet in ice chest alternating them just lay on barrel this eliminates heat waves and with double your shots as far as barrel temp. Also a spray bottle of alcohol with work but not as well.
Stay Safe

Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

Lena wrote:Something for you to try: tumble with media add 1-2 capfuls of Hoppe's #9 you will have nice clean brass and smells great.

If you shoot a bolt gun from a bench keep a patch with #9 on it and wipe the necks as soon as they are fired they just wipe clean, it really makes cleaning much faster. Most of my rifles are tight neck wildcats I also keep a brass brush and clean the id also it really cuts the tumble time way down. Even been known to keep 00 or 000 steel wool there also it all helps a lot.

If your bench shooting or as I was hunting prairie dogs all day long keep 2 pcs of a light colored bath towel about 2" wide 2-3 " shorter than your barrel less brake if you have one, if needed rubber band muzzle end, keep wet in ice chest alternating them just lay on barrel this eliminates heat waves and with double your shots as far as barrel temp. Also a spray bottle of alcohol with work but not as well.
Good advice. Thanks.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I worked on this mod for the Hornady Bullet Feeder. I am still waiting to be replaced by Optics Planet.
https://goo.gl/photos/4qmUGeq8XPjrNegd9

Loaded 23 45ACP rds on the LEE classic turret
https://goo.gl/photos/v8BtZKeCtqMyzrzA7

Loaded 49 9mm rds on the Hornady AP
https://goo.gl/photos/URBn1JUWizQNkWCd8
Beiruty,

Return to “Reloading Forum”