Dimensions for a reloading bench.....

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AggieMM
Posts in topic: 4

Dimensions for a reloading bench.....

Post by AggieMM »

As I mentioned in my other post, I'm new to the world of reloading. I purchased a 550b, and plan to reload in my garage. I'm trying to "make" it work around an existing area, so that I don't have to completely rearrange my garage.

My question is the following. I've worked it out to where I'll have a surface of 22.5" d x 34" w. Is that enough space to reload (550b with strong mount)? When fully assembled with optional Strong Mount, Bullet Tray, and Empty Case Bin and Bracket, what are the overall dimensions?

Thanks.

See below for pics and diagram. Other comments and suggestions are welcome.

Ryan

Here is the area I have available:

Here are my plans:

Here is the example I'm following:
http://www.bghi.us/index.php?x=bench

Sailor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Sailor »

My favorite work bench has been a cheap screw or bolt together table with 5' X 32" dimension made out of 2x4s with a 2nd hand cheap industrial solid core wooden door cut to fit and then screwed on top of the finished bench. It is super solid and does not move. It is very much similar to yours Ryan...just get the door.

I replaced my warped drafting table with a solid core door 12 years ago and it is still straight.

Cody
"An APPEASER is one that feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last."--Winston Churchill

phddan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by phddan »

I think that will be big enough to start on.

I also think that you will be rearranging your garage in the near future. :grin:

Dan

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I do not have a Dillion.
The deminsions of the area I do my actual loading on is about the same as yours. I have 35 wide. I have 2 RCBS singlestage presses mounted, my powder despenser & my scales. My tumbler is not in that area. Yours would not have to be. I have more storage & shelving area for supplies & loaded ammo than you are building but you should be able to do as I do & store brass, & loaded ammo in another place.
I think you have enough room.
There have been several here that started in their appartment on a piece of plywood C-clamped to the kitchen table.
When you get started & like it, you will find a way. We always do, dont we :lol:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I've been eyeballing the workbench at Sam's Club for a while but I'm holding back on throwing down 2 bills for it. I'm thinking there must be a used furniture place that sells stuff from companies that went under or something. There's plenty that have gone under lately!!!! Anyone know of a place that sells them?
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

When I get home, I'll measure my bench and post a photo. It's wider than you want or need, but the design can be changed to fit any application. I really like the shelving on the top of the bench. No, I didn't design it, and friend made the suggestion when while he was laughing at my old bench.

Chas.

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

I have a Dillon 650, RCBS Rockchucker and a Redding T7 Turret mounted on one bench that is 48" wide and 22 1/4" deep (2- 2x12 top). No extra room left on the table top but they are all functional without bumping into each other. I have the scale and powder measurer on a side table.

I'd post pictures but I don't have a place to link them.

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

age_ranger wrote:I've been eyeballing the workbench at Sam's Club for a while but I'm holding back on throwing down 2 bills for it. I'm thinking there must be a used furniture place that sells stuff from companies that went under or something. There's plenty that have gone under lately!!!! Anyone know of a place that sells them?
I have the workbench that you are talking about. FWIW it's worth the $200 it's solid and will last me as long as I want it to. Very heavy duty. It may be overkill for reloading, I use it to clean my guns and just about everything else. I am pretty sure that it would hold an engine block or two if i needed it to. :grin:
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

I've got just about everything I need to start reloading, including powder for rifle and handgun, used brass, tumbler, bullets, dies, and two single stage Lee presses and everything in the Anniversary kit plus more. All I need is a place to do it.

I thought about setting up a bench in my garage, but it's unfinished - no insulation, drywall or climate control. I figure that's a bad place to get started. I am trying to clean up a spare BR for the setup but it's small.
I talked to an acquaintance of mine who told me all he needs is a 12" deep area with ample width to do the work. I figured that route would suit me and all the storage in modular fashion like cabinets and boxes and tubs.
What's the minimum area most of you think would be acceptable? Is it safe to do this inside the house? It would be next to a window, and has a ceiling fan. I'd probably add a lock to the door to keep it private.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Venus Pax »

06nop,
I'm VERY new to this, so get a few more responses before you decide.

I'm set up in my utility room, which also serves as the cats' room. (Their food & litter boxes are in there, and a cat door gives them access.) This room is climate controlled, but can get a bit warm in the middle of the day if the dryer is running.

When I'm not using something, I put it up. Cats are nosy, and they like to knock things over. I have a basket on the lefthand side of the bench for all the smaller tools: scale, auto-prime & its shellholders, dies, loading blocks, funnels, etc. I keep all consumable materials (cleaning media, bullets, powder, etc.) in a basket on a shelf nearby, except primers. I keep primers in another room on a top shelf in a cabinet.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Sailor

Post by Sailor »

This workbench is similar to mine except for solid core door screwed to the top and extra bracing. This is very easy to build.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/work ... low20.html

Cody
"An APPEASER is one that feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last."--Winston Churchill

Topic author
AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

I updated my design, making the surface a little smaller to fit better in the available spot.

I'm buying lumber this weekend and hope to finish by Monday. I'll post pics when completed.

Ryan

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Venus Pax »

That looks like a really nice set-up. Post pics when you're done.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

O6nop wrote:I've got just about everything I need to start reloading, including powder for rifle and handgun, used brass, tumbler, bullets, dies, and two single stage Lee presses and everything in the Anniversary kit plus more. All I need is a place to do it.

I thought about setting up a bench in my garage, but it's unfinished - no insulation, drywall or climate control. I figure that's a bad place to get started. I am trying to clean up a spare BR for the setup but it's small.
I talked to an acquaintance of mine who told me all he needs is a 12" deep area with ample width to do the work. I figured that route would suit me and all the storage in modular fashion like cabinets and boxes and tubs.
What's the minimum area most of you think would be acceptable? Is it safe to do this inside the house? It would be next to a window, and has a ceiling fan. I'd probably add a lock to the door to keep it private.
It is safe to do in the house. That is where I started many moons ago.
Your decision to make your storage in the several containers & probably in a few different small spots in the house or closets are also the way I started. See my post on present loading room. My guess on the minimum space to do the loading opporation only would be the above 12" deep by 24 wide. This would give you room for your press & powder despenser system whether measure or scoop, brass & bullets. Mine is 35 wide W/ 2 RCBS single stage presses, powder despensor, & scales. Bullets & Brass go right under my surface area. a bucket of brass to one side & a TV tray or bucket upside down w/ the bullets on that should work fine.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here are the specs. on my bench. Let me say up front; I didn't design it. A good friend is an engineer and he told me how to do it --- then he decided I may not follow is directions and came over and built it with me.

The bench is 35 1/2" (H) X 72" (W) X 36" (D). It has a hutch-like top that is 59" (H) X 72" (W) X 11 1/4" (D) with a combination of permanent and adjustable shelves. On top is a 4 bulb florescent light on a special made bracket to put the light directly over the bench. You can never have too much light on a reloading bench!

The "hutch" as a permanent shelf at 21 1/2" and at 48". The sides of the "hutch" extend up to 59" to act as bookends. In addition to the two permanent shelves, the "hutch" has five adjustable shelves.

The perimeter of the bench is made of 2"X6" and the top is covered with 2" X 6" (except for the front that has a 2" X 12") then 3/4" plywood over that. An major design feature is the reinforced front portion of the bench that keeps it from flexing. The side 2" X 6"'s are notched to allow a 2" X 12" to be inset in the front of the bench. This makes it extremely ridged and it does not flex in the slightest when using the press. In fact, Marc and I have been using both presses at the same time and there is absolutely no flex in the top, nor any movement of the bench at all.

There is a permanent full-length shelf of 3/4" plywood set such that I have 8" floor clearance.

The top portion of the bench was glued and screwed together, then bolted to the 4" X 4" legs. It’s heavy, it’s sturdy and I’ll probably sell it with the house, rather than try to move it! (Naw, it’s going with me.)

It's a great design - too bad I can't claim it for my own.

Here are some photos:

Here are the bench photos

Chas.

Return to “Reloading Forum”