Press recommendations

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

Press recommendations

Post by mloamiller »

I'v been reloading for a couple of years and am thinking about upgrading my equipment. My current (and first) press is a Lee 1000 Progressive that I bought used at a gun show. I took it completely apart to clean and lube everything and it's worked pretty well. However, I've never been able to get a couple of things to work:
* I haven't been able to position the case feeder correctly to feed a case successfully.
* The priming system would never position the primer correctly so it would end up in the primer cup sideways or upside down.

I gave up on both of those pretty quickly and resorted to manually priming each case with a hand primer, and feeding cases one at a time onto the press. In addition, I often have issues with the rotation of the progressive press not rotating completely with each pull of the handle.

I say all of that to say I'm thinking about "upgrading" to a single-stage press rather than another progressive. That's basically what I've been doing to this point, so I think have a simpler operating press would be a good thing. That, and I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Any recommendations?

Also, just curious - does anyone use a multi-stage progressive press that actually does everything correctly, from start to finish, in one go around?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Press recommendations

Post by ghostrider »

Any recommendations?
Lee Classic press
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/317831 ... aQodAAcNJg

Also, just curious - does anyone use a multi-stage progressive press that actually does everything correctly, from start to finish, in one go around?
yes. Dillon 550B. However, I do not have a case feeder or bullet feeder add-ons - its configured basically as shipped from the factor (approx 23 years ago).
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

JohnS-TX

Post by JohnS-TX »

I have an RCBS Jr single stage press and really like it.

It is built like a tank and RCBS stands by their products.

Should be able to pick-up a used RCBS Jr or RCBS Rock Chucker pretty easy and cheap.

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ghostrider »

you can't really go wrong with any of the single stage presses. I have a Lee Challenger press I've used for years (24+ !). I still have it, just upgraded to the Lee Classic cast press because its bigger & stronger and the Challenger has loosened up a bit after 2 decades of resizing bottleneck rifle cases.

If I were to start from scratch today, the choices would be the same:

progressive: dillon 550b
single stage: lee classic cast
shotshell: MEC
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Redding T7 with enough turrets to hold all of your dies

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

I have a Dillon 950 for shotgun, a 650 for pistol and a 550 for rifle. I always hated reloading until I used a Dillon. Once you set it up, it just works. If your'e trying to save money and mostly load pistol rounds, the Square Deal B is a good choice. Very reliable.

Oh, and every Dillon comes with what Mike Dillon calls his lifetime no "bull" warranty. If anything fails, send it back and he'll repair it. I've broken parts that were my fault, admitted it and they still refused to charge for replacements.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

every Dillon comes with what Mike Dillon calls his lifetime no "bull" warranty
And because of that warranty, resale value remains fairly high. 70-80% of the cost of new.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Lena

Post by Lena »

If your loading pistol go progressive, Dillion is the only one to consider, My Rl1000 is still going strong for about 30 years, a 550 650 would be perfect for you, I have 3 other progressives and an RCBS single stage for precision rifle along with an Arbor press. For almost all my pistol ammo I load on a Star Progressive and if they were still made that would be it, the cost not probably would be off the scale though.
Get a progressive as you will sooner or later.
Stay Safe

Return to “Reloading Forum”