some help with my 9mm reloads

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hawk44
Posts in topic: 2

some help with my 9mm reloads

Post by hawk44 »

I just started loading some 9mm. So I picked up some extreme plated bullet 115 hp flipped to hp in my manual and loaded up a test batch. The manual listed an oal of 1.050, they did not work well, if I used the slide release they jammed (stovepipe) if I pulled the slide back and released the same but, if I would ride the slide home they would work fine and cycle 99% of the time.
Looking in older manuals the aol is list much longer and on the web from 1.125 to 1.077, so could you guide me in the aol for this round

Beiruty

Re: some help with my 9mm reloads

Post by Beiruty »

Try at 1.1", mine are at 1.2" and that is on the long side. Get a bullet puller from RCBS or use a kinetic hammer bullet puller. Report back.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
hawk44

Post by hawk44 »

I'll give that a try.
Thanks

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

hawk44 wrote:I just started loading some 9mm. So I picked up some extreme plated bullet 115 hp flipped to hp in my manual and loaded up a test batch. The manual listed an oal of 1.050, they did not work well, if I used the slide release they jammed (stovepipe) if I pulled the slide back and released the same but, if I would ride the slide home they would work fine and cycle 99% of the time.
Looking in older manuals the aol is list much longer and on the web from 1.125 to 1.077, so could you guide me in the aol for this round
How are you crimping? Take the barrel out and try sliding a couple into the chamber and see if the case mouth is clearing the top of the chamber without getting snagged.

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

I use a case gauge for every size that I reload. Wilson or Lyman and even use one for 12 gauge.
http://www.lewilson.com/caselengthgage.html

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

Check your bullets. Cycle one slowly, by removing the spring. Then you can see what the problem is.
Are the cased catching on a ridge in a two piece feed ramp? Striking the top of the chamber mouth and getting stuck? Is the case mouth still belled a bit and catching somewhere?
Another thing to try is to remove the powder coating from the exposed bullet in a loaded round, and see where the bullet is marked when it stovepipes.
If it is only a OAL issue, load one case with no powder of primer. Load it very long, and keep shortening it in your press until correct. If you must reduce OAL below book, reduce powder charges.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

hovercat wrote:... Striking the top of the chamber mouth and getting stuck? ...
This is what I meant by getting snagged. A round can slide right into a case gage and still get stuck. Check the crimp.

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

Plated bullets use cast data, not jacketed.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

hovercat wrote:Plated bullets use cast data, not jacketed.
In between. Not too hot, not too cold. Just warm :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

wil
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wil »

hawk44 wrote:I just started loading some 9mm. So I picked up some extreme plated bullet 115 hp flipped to hp in my manual and loaded up a test batch. The manual listed an oal of 1.050, they did not work well, if I used the slide release they jammed (stovepipe) if I pulled the slide back and released the same but, if I would ride the slide home they would work fine and cycle 99% of the time.
What dies are you using? Are the dies brand-new or have you used the dies before this?

Return to “Reloading Forum”