ANYONE RELOADING .300 BLACKOUT ?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Surgeon
Posts in topic: 2

ANYONE RELOADING .300 BLACKOUT ?

Post by Surgeon »

I was curious as to whether anyone was reloading .300 Blackout? If so what powder/s are you using, bullet grains?
I only recently purchased the upper in the blackout, fired a few rounds down range and I have to tell you I'm sold. Light recoil, feeds well and is dead on accurate with dime size groupings at 50 yards.
With that in mind, I've decided to add the Blackout to my collection of dies and finding decent ammo is a tad iffy at times.
So please add your comments and suggestions and I'll try to keep up.
Thanks.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

BurtG
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ANYONE RELOADING .300 BLACKOUT ?

Post by BurtG »

Here's one link that may be of help, especially since they mark the best loads they found in their tests.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/ ... -blackout/

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

BurtG wrote:Here's one link that may be of help, especially since they mark the best loads they found in their tests.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/ ... -blackout/
Very helpful BurtG. Thanks much. I shot some Remington 120 gr. rounds I picked up at Academy but the supply and selection was limited and I found a source for used brass online at Carolina Brass, already cleaned, prepped and ready. Pretty decent prices too.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

orionengnr

Post by orionengnr »

Just started loading .300BLK. Only done 25 rounds so far, laddering up from 16.0-16.5 of W296 under a 150 gr FMJ (supersonic).
I did cut and size my own brass using the Harbor Freight chop saw and eBay jig, and some YouTube videos. Great fun.
Always looking for super and subsonic loads.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I just started this year. I'm using 20 grains of H110 powder behind Hornady 110 grain VMAX bullets. They seem to shoot pretty well. This rifle is destined to become my night time hog hunting weapon, although I haven't actually shot a hog with it yet. Generally my night shots are no more than 80 yards, with 125 yards being the extreme.

20 grains of H110 powder is generally considered the MAX LOAD for a 110 grain bullet. Approach with caution.

I'll be working on a subsonic load later. I haven't shot any yet. I plan to use IMR4227 powder.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Weg

Post by Weg »

I reload subs only. 10 grains of AA1680 with CCI Small rifle primers and a 220 grain Sierra Matchking, that one chronographs at 950-975 out of my 16" AR. For hunting, I use the same primer and charge, only the bullet is a Lehigh Defense 194 grain maximum expansion, that load chronographs at about 1050. Both loads are under 1" at 50 yards. I never shoot it beyond 50 , either target or hunting, so have no idea about accuracy beyond that. I've been buying my brass from blackoutbrass.com, cheapest way i've found.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Weg wrote:I reload subs only. 10 grains of AA1680 with CCI Small rifle primers and a 220 grain Sierra Matchking, that one chronographs at 950-975 out of my 16" AR. For hunting, I use the same primer and charge, only the bullet is a Lehigh Defense 194 grain maximum expansion, that load chronographs at about 1050. Both loads are under 1" at 50 yard.
Are you shooting with a suppressor with either of these loads? I'm interested in how loud they are unsuppressed. I'm also intertested in how loud they are compared to supersonic if you have any experience along those lines.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

A1680 with 220 grain Hornady billeted for subsonic, 110 grain with H110 for supersonic but I have used larger bullets for SS. I load too many different rifle calibers to remember exact loads but if you go to 300 Blackout forums there is plenty of load data to get you started.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I thought it might be useful to include a list of component manufactures specifically for the 300 Blk. Others to be added as they are found.

Lehigh
Maker Bullets
Blackout Bullets
Blackout Brass
Carolina Brass
300AACBlackout
East Coast Arsenal
300Black

I have no affiliation and may not have any experience with these vendors. This is just a list to help others, and myself, to find components.

Weg

Post by Weg »

[/quote]
troglodyte wrote:
Weg wrote:I reload subs only. 10 grains of AA1680 with CCI Small rifle primers and a 220 grain Sierra Matchking, that one chronographs at 950-975 out of my 16" AR. For hunting, I use the same primer and charge, only the bullet is a Lehigh Defense 194 grain maximum expansion, that load chronographs at about 1050. Both loads are under 1" at 50 yard.
Are you shooting with a suppressor with either of these loads? I'm interested in how loud they are unsuppressed. I'm also intertested in how loud they are compared to supersonic if you have any experience along those lines.
Yes, I only shoot suppressed ( with .300 Blackout). Both of them are much more quite that supersonic, the sonic crack created by supersonic loads is fairly loud in my opinion ( compared to subsonic). When I was working them up I would push the velocity threshold until I heard the crack then backed down. The difference was fairly significant. My biggest problem was the load would change velocity quite a bit between hot/cold weather, which is why my loads are around 1,000 fps. Thanks

Return to “Reloading Forum”