Load to duplicate the 262 Mod1 military ammo

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 2

Load to duplicate the 262 Mod1 military ammo

Post by LTUME1978 »

Has anyone been able to develop a load to duplicate the 262 Mod 1 (5.56) ammo? I started by purchasing some Black Hill Ammo (they are no longer selling the military load, only the 223 load now with the 77 grain Sierra bullet - 2400 FPS out of my rifle) and some IMI Ammo (2790 FPS and extremely accurate out of my rifle). These were to serve as my benchmark (IMI is hands down better than the Black Hill in my rifle). I have gone through an assortment of powder/primer combinations. Powders - CFE223 (poor accuracy but got the velocity), Varget (best accuracy but can't get the velocity), 2520, 748, TAC, 8208, 335. Primers - CCI small rifle, CCI military, Federal AR Match, Tula, Remington Benchrest (by far the best).

If I would have known that this would have been so difficult, I would have never gone through this exercise (and bought components) and just bought the IMI ammo. However, I am in now with the purchase of components and would like to see this through. I may just stay with the Varget load as it almost matches the accuracy of the IMI, just slower.

Any suggestions?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Load to duplicate the 262 Mod1 military ammo

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Try some BL-(C)2?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LTUME1978 »

Yep, along with a lot of other powder/primer combinations. I have landed on Varget with Remington Bench Rest Primers (by far the most accurate load). I need to load up some more of that combination and chronograph the load to get velocity then put together a ballistic table. I talked with the folks at Hodgdon and was told that the powder that is used to make the 262 mod 1 load is made of unobtainium for us civilians. I have some of the IMI ammo and will hang on to it in case of need and will practice with ammo loaded with Varget.

cyphur
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cyphur »

LTUME1978 wrote:Has anyone been able to develop a load to duplicate the 262 Mod 1 (5.56) ammo? I started by purchasing some Black Hill Ammo (they are no longer selling the military load, only the 223 load now with the 77 grain Sierra bullet - 2400 FPS out of my rifle) and some IMI Ammo (2790 FPS and extremely accurate out of my rifle). These were to serve as my benchmark (IMI is hands down better than the Black Hill in my rifle). I have gone through an assortment of powder/primer combinations. Powders - CFE223 (poor accuracy but got the velocity), Varget (best accuracy but can't get the velocity), 2520, 748, TAC, 8208, 335. Primers - CCI small rifle, CCI military, Federal AR Match, Tula, Remington Benchrest (by far the best).

If I would have known that this would have been so difficult, I would have never gone through this exercise (and bought components) and just bought the IMI ammo. However, I am in now with the purchase of components and would like to see this through. I may just stay with the Varget load as it almost matches the accuracy of the IMI, just slower.

Any suggestions?

Lots of people over on AR15.com have tried this same exercise. LOTS of posts available, multiple threads. They used some very proprietary powders to get this load cooking like it did. It was a SOCOM requirement so each batch is custom made when they order more.

Return to “Reloading Forum”