For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hheremtp
Posts in topic: 3

New Reloader here, Need some help.

Post by hheremtp »

Hello to all,

I just got myself set up with a Dillon 550 and I am currently set up to load 9mm. My current load set up is the following:

Bayou bullet 135gr LRN
Winchester 231 4.0gr
CCI Primers
OAL 1.135

Do y'all think that I'm on the right track here? Also I have noticed some slight variability in my powder drops of about 0.02 gr plus or minus, is that too much of a variation? I am also noticing an OAL variability between 1.133 to 1.141, am I ok there as well? Thanks for the advice

Steve
Steve

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New Reloader here, Need some help.

Post by warnmar10 »

hheremtp wrote:Hello to all,

I just got myself set up with a Dillon 550 and I am currently set up to load 9mm. My current load set up is the following:

Bayou bullet 135gr LRN
Winchester 231 4.0gr
CCI Primers
OAL 1.135

Do y'all think that I'm on the right track here? Also I have noticed some slight variability in my powder drops of about 0.02 gr plus or minus, is that too much of a variation? I am also noticing an OAL variability between 1.133 to 1.141, am I ok there as well? Thanks for the advice

Steve
I'm unfamiliar with the recipe so I'll assume you know what you're doing in that regard. In my limited experience you'll never get a progressive press to give 100% reliable OAL or powder throw.

By running my dies down until they touch the shell plate +.002 ish I get very good results with OAL. The downside being there is some cam over when the ram is at TDC, progressive presses aren't really intended to do that. (I don't care, it's my press and it hasn't snapped ... yet.)

As for powder, ball powders meter best and most people swear by their Dillon powder measures.

Your OAL and powder tolerance don't scare me none but you can probably do better with some tinkering.

Topic author
hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

Warnmar10,

I got the recipe from load data.com so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. Since I am brand new to reloading I figured I would post my setup here and let the other members come in with tips and advice. Thanks for the response.

Steve
Steve

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I got the recipe from load data.com so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. Since I am brand new to reloading I figured I would post my setup here and let the other members come in with tips and advice. Thanks for the response.
my tip & advice: buy at least one reloading databook (Speer, Hornady, Lee, Sierra, Lyman).
by all means use data on the internet, but always double check against another source.
Also, Hodgdon has a good site for data:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

hovercat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hovercat »

On powder variability, you are fine. The OAL can be better. Check your seating die to be certain that it fits the bullet profile.
You can remove the stem, place a bit of epoxy on it, and twirl a greased bullet until it dries to get a perfect fit.
Occasionally check for crud build up inside the dies, if you notice OAL getting shorter.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

hovercat wrote:On powder variability, you are fine. The OAL can be better. Check your seating die to be certain that it fits the bullet profile.
You can remove the stem, place a bit of epoxy on it, and twirl a greased bullet until it dries to get a perfect fit.
Occasionally check for crud build up inside the dies, if you notice OAL getting shorter.
Is that a Dillon die thing? (He didn't actually say he's using Dillon dies.) I use Redding seating dies and they seem to be consistent no matter the profile. The variation I get is more to do with what is going on in the other stations.

If I set my seating die, per mfg instructions, then run one piece of brass through to test it will repeat dead on every time. But when I start moving brass into every station the OAL will suddenly increase. Running the ram to the top and adjusting all the dies to touch the shell plate all but eliminates that issue but that is contrary to the press setup instructions.

The only way I've found to truly have every round come out precisely to the set OAL is on my single stage press.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

You are fine. For Pistol worry about no-powder and little powder in your case. Keep your eyeballs on the case and the dropped powder. Weight and COAL variations as you mentioned are Inconsequential for average pistol shooter.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

bagman45
Banned

Post by bagman45 »

:iagree:

Unless OAL gets out of control on the short side on a high pressure round like 40 S&W, your biggest risk is low/no powder - 45acp is pretty forgiving. If your gun eats it, it's good; if not, keep tinkering until it does. As others have said, start on the low side and work up from there.

Topic author
hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

Thank's everyone for the advise and comments. I made it out to the range to test out my loads and ended up coming home and bumping up the powder charge to 4.5gr, had a few issues with the slide cycling reliably.

Steve
Steve

DocV

Post by DocV »

I have had some over pressure signs with 231 under 9mm lead, even with starting loads. Mainly light guppying.

What type of pistol are you loading for? Is the case fully supported? 4.5 gr of 231 for your projectile is around
38000 to 39000 psi. That is +p territory.

SAAMI max for 9mm is 35000 psi. How about making loads for 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3. Ten rounds each. Fire those.
Check for pressure signs and function.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

DocV wrote:I have had some over pressure signs with 231 under 9mm lead, even with starting loads. Mainly light guppying.

What type of pistol are you loading for? Is the case fully supported? 4.5 gr of 231 for your projectile is around
38000 to 39000 psi. That is +p territory.

SAAMI max for 9mm is 35000 psi. How about making loads for 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3. Ten rounds each. Fire those.
Check for pressure signs and function.
Good advise. Additionally, before I raised the powder charge, I would first:
1) Crony the loads to see if they are reaching stated velocities.
2) Make sure the problem isn't from the gun.
3) Check to see that the crimp is tight enough.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Good advise. Additionally, before I raised the powder charge, I would first:
1) Crony the loads to see if they are reaching stated velocities.
2) Make sure the problem isn't from the gun.
3) Check to see that the crimp is tight enough.
4) check multiple data sources.

Using Hodgdon's online data (http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol), for 130gr 9mm they show 3.9gr to a maximum of 4.3gr of WW231.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Return to “Reloading Forum”