9mm and 5.56mm - Whats your cost per round?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 9mm and 5.56mm - Whats your cost per round?

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't know why you folks seem to believe that the savings from reloading is not significant. It's huge! The comparisons below are using actual price for Winchester White Box ammo from Wal-Mart at the lowest possible price, i.e. largest quantity. Component prices are directly from the vendors listed. This TPC Podcast episode aired on April 5th, so prices for both commercial ammo and components could have changed. If so, then both will likely trend in the same direction.

If one doesn't shoot much, then reloading will not make financial sense as it would take too long to recoup the cost of the equipment. However, as you can see it won't take long if you shoot even a few thousand rounds a year. I never include brass in my calculations because it is so easy to get on the range and used brass is dirt cheap if you have to buy it. The only time I buy new brass is if I have a special use in mine like self-defense ammo. (I haven't loaded my own self-defense ammo in years.)

Chas.
TFC Podcast wrote:Real-world comparison of factory to reloaded ammo:
a. 45ACP 1,000 rounds:
  • i. Components:
    • 1. 230 Gr. FMJ – Precision Delta $124/1,000
      2. 230 Gr. Coated cast bullets – BayouBullets.net $100.50/1,000 rds;
      3. Primers – Winchester Large Pistol – PowderValley.net $28/1,000 rds;
      4. Powder – Winchester 231 - $19.90/lb - $15/1,000 rds.
    ii. Cost Comparison excluding brass:
    • 1. Factory Winchester White Box - $379.70/1,000 rds;
      2. Home-loaded ammo:
      • a. Using jacketed bullets - $167/1,000 rds;
        b. Using coated cast bullets - $143.5/1,000 rds;
      3. That’s a savings of $212.70 for jacketed bullets and $236.2 for cast;
      4. If using new brass, add $164.50, but why?
b. 40 S&W 1,000 rounds:
  • i. Components:
    • 1. 165 Gr. FMJ – Precision Delta - $115/1,000 rds;
      2. 165 Gr. Coated cast bullets – BayouBullets.net - $85/1,000 rds
      3. Primers Winchester Small Pistol – PowderValley.net $28/1,000
      4. Powder – Winchester 231 - $19.90/lb - $15/1,000 rds;
    • 1. Factory Winchester White Box - $279.85/1,000 rds;
      2. Home-loaded ammo:
      • a. Using jacketed bullets - $158/1,000 rds.
        b. Using coated cast bullets - $128
      3. That’s a savings of $121.85 for jacketed bullets and $151.85 for cast;
      4. If using new brass, add $154.50
c. 9mm Luger 1,000 rounds:
  • i. Components:
    • 1. 115 Gr. FMJ – Precision Delta - $83/1,000 rds;
      2. 115 Gr. Coated cast bullets – BayouBullets.net - $63.25/1,000 rds;
      3. Primers Winchester Small Pistol – PowderValley.net $28/1,000
      4. Powder – Winchester 231 - $19.90/lb - $15/1,000 rds;
    • 1. Factory Winchester White Box - $238.85’
      2. Home-loaded ammo:
      • a. Using jacketed bullets - $126/1,000;
        b. Using coated cast bullets - $106.25/1,000;
      3. That’s a savings of $112.85 for jacketed bullets and $132.60 for cast;
      4. If using new brass, add $130.50

Thanks Charles, this is what I was looking for. Trying to put all of the numbers together, I had neglected to take into consideration used brass, and was looking only at defensive ammo components. I was pricing everything new, and along with equipment costs, it seemed to be not as big a savings. Like I said, I am just in the planning stages, and still don't have the equipment, or any experience yet. As I move forward I hope to tap into the expertise from folks here.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by warnmar10 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't know why you folks seem to believe that the savings from reloading is not significant. It's huge! The comparisons below are using actual price for Winchester White Box ammo from Wal-Mart at the lowest possible price, i.e. largest quantity. Component prices are directly from the vendors listed. This TPC Podcast episode aired on April 5th, so prices for both commercial ammo and components could have changed. If so, then both will likely trend in the same direction.

If one doesn't shoot much, then reloading will not make financial sense as it would take too long to recoup the cost of the equipment. However, as you can see it won't take long if you shoot even a few thousand rounds a year. I never include brass in my calculations because it is so easy to get on the range and used brass is dirt cheap if you have to buy it. The only time I buy new brass is if I have a special use in mine like self-defense ammo. (I haven't loaded my own self-defense ammo in years.)

Chas.
The savings is significant and my home made rounds seem to consistently find their way to what it is I'm aiming at better than the store bought rounds do. They're very satisfying to shoot. In fact so satisfying I shoot so many more of them it pretty much negates the per round savings. This is an aspect I hadn't considered before I started loading my own.

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

I too reload pistol and shotgun. Rifle sometimes. The problem is that when ammo is in short supply so are components. I went a long time unable to get primers and powder even after ammo was readily available. So I have a huge cash of powder and primers now but when ammo is "cheap" and available all I do is save brass and buy commercial. Rifle is a pain in the neck for me to reload. Shotgun I do to make lighter loads but shotgun is otherwise not cost effective. The final factor is the fun factor. No price on that.

Return to “Reloading Forum”