Downloadin 9x19 to 380 Velocity

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TEX
Posts in topic: 1

Downloadin 9x19 to 380 Velocity

Post by TEX »

Have any of you reloaders tried downloading a 9x19 to basically 380 velocity and just enough to get the slide to still cycle. Though of this as a way to ease a new shooter up from a 22rf. A 115 grain moving at about 875 would do the trick, but not sure if it would still cycle the slide. Either that or perhaps one of you knows of a factory 9x19 load that is really slow and soft.

Thanks
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Downloadin 9x19 to 380 Velocity

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TEX wrote:Have any of you reloaders tried downloading a 9x19 to basically 380 velocity and just enough to get the slide to still cycle. Though of this as a way to ease a new shooter up from a 22rf. A 115 grain moving at about 875 would do the trick, but not sure if it would still cycle the slide. Either that or perhaps one of you knows of a factory 9x19 load that is really slow and soft.

Thanks
I haven't done it, but that's getting really slow for a 115 gr. 9mm. My Lyman Manual (48th edition) shows a load for 115 JHP using 6.8 grains of AA#7 for 871 fps. Be careful with your power choice and don't go below minimums as this is critical with some powders. Once you have a safe load per a reputable reloading manual, just get a recoil spring to fit the load.

Chas.

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

I load 124g berry's plated rn/hollow base over 4.2g (?) Of titegroup down to 1000-1020fps. They're the only pill I buy anymore. They work great in every one of my 9mm's (cz p01, g19, sig sp2022) cycle great, work in my suppressor, and they're stupid accurate. I only need 10k more of them!

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

If you are doing this to graduate new users. Why not go to 380 before 9mm? Also, I try to use full sized or heavier pistols to ease the perceived sensibility to recoil. I find the more rounds fired the more de-synthesized to recoil the shooter becomes.
Of course, a firm grip goes a long way, too.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Many shooters at DPC with racing STI guns (no optics) have almost 0 muzzle flip and a hair trigger go-switch. They modify the pistol by using lighter recoil spring and hammer spring and touch-me-to-fly trigger.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

Check out wolff springs as they likely have a lowered power recoil spring that may make function more reliable

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

When your testing your reduced loads make sure you shoot one at a time and the barrel is clear after each shot. Don't want to get a bullet stuck in the barrel due to reduced velocity.

Return to “Reloading Forum”