Hand primer gave up today

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hawk44
Posts in topic: 1

Hand primer gave up today

Post by hawk44 »

I've had it for 20+ years and it's worked well (lee with the round tray).
In looking at the new ones and their reviews becomes confusing, though I'm leaning towards the RCBS universal hand primer.
I would like to here from people that have used them (any type). I'm looking at worth, ease of use and will last me 20 some odd years again.
thanks for any input

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Hand primer gave up today

Post by warnmar10 »

I'm pretty happy with this one: http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-e ... 37732.aspx

I'm thinking about handing it down to my son and getting one of these for myself: http://www.xxicsi.com/stainless-steel-priming-tool.html

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:Whoa - that 21st Century tool is niiiiice! Just as I thought I was becoming satisfied with what I have... :lol:
AndyC That is a beautiful looking priming tool. You gotta have it! :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Post by warnmar10 »

AndyC wrote:Whoa - that 21st Century tool is niiiiice! Just as I thought I was becoming satisfied with what I have... :lol:
I have a couple of 21st Century items, I am very happy with them.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Just bought and used the RCBS Universal. Very Nice, no shell holder required.$59.80 with tax from Amazon and there is a $10 RCBS mail in rebate good until end of 2016. Worked very well for me. There also is a RCBS cheaper one but it needs shell holders.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am happy with LEE with new priming square trays and the new triangular flip trays . LEE Classic tool works very well. I also use Hornady AP priming with the case feeder to accelerate depriming/sizing and priming of 9mm cases.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I've got a Hornady hand priming tool, pretty basic but I'm happy. Don't have to touch primers and it's one of those "just works" kind of deals.

You do have to swap trays between large and small, but I only load small right now so my care level for that is pretty small.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

romeofox

Post by romeofox »

Whooaa nooo stop!

When you say "it gave up the ghost" what parts do I need to stock up on???

This one caught my eye...I had no idea the Lee Precision Hand Priming tool (auto-priming) round tray is no longer being produced!!! I panicked and went to Google and found its true! I've been Lee single stage loading since '85 and never,,,EVER thought I wouldn't be able to replace a worn part, let alone my primer tool. Granted I never figured out how to get more than 50 primers in the dang thing at a time (right side up) but we had a negotiated understanding. The reviews of the "improved" Lee New Auto Prime XR Hand Priming Tool are horrific! :banghead:

When you're doing 200-300 rounds on a single stage press on Saturday afternoon you count on your precision dies & tools to do their job! I'm not too old to try new stuff but, I can smell / recognize and avoid "cheaper" when i walk into the auditorium.

JohnS-TX

Post by JohnS-TX »

I have the older style RCBS hand primer and really like it.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/rcbs-ha ... tid=881855

It does require specific shell holders – no problem, as my press & dies are RCBS.

The RCBS tool is solidly made. I previously had a cheaper brand and it was poorly designed and made.

Noticed RCBS has brought out a new square primer tray that will fit the older style – will be getting one of these ASAP.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/56440 ... y-assembly

Return to “Reloading Forum”