For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Dillon XL650 Maintenance

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have had two Dillon XL650s for a number of years. I recently watched a Dillon video on lubricating the XL650 and learned that I've been doing pretty much everything wrong. I've been putting grease where I should use oil, and oil where I should use grease. Even the oil I used (gun oil) was wrong. Dillon says to use only 30 wt. motor oil. Parts that I never lubricate should get grease. I take care of my equipment, so I was not happy. In my defense, neither of my owner's manuals have one word about XL650 maintenance, including lubricating.

The newer models have grease zerks on two of of the rods, but mine has only VERY small holes. I never considered that one is supposed to get grease in those holes. It turns out I was right; grease isn't going in those holes! I called Dillon today to see if the zerk fittings and bars are available as an upgrade. They are, but at about $45 each for two machines, it would be easier to unscrew the nuts and pull the bolts out so they can be greased. I had decided to do that but I wonder if I could drill the small holes to accept zerks. Has anyone done this with a 650? Also, is there a standard size hole and thread for zerks?

Thanks,
Chas.

Scott65
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dillon XL650 Maintenance

Post by Scott65 »

1/4-28 is common thread for grease fittings, along with 1/8" npt. Not being familiar with the equipment you're working on, I couldn't say which is more appropriate.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 6

Post by E.Marquez »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I have had two Dillon XL650s for a number of years. I recently watched a Dillon video on lubricating the XL650 and learned that I've been doing pretty much everything wrong. I've been putting grease where I should use oil, and oil where I should use grease. Even the oil I used (gun oil) was wrong. Dillon says to use only 30 wt. motor oil. Parts that I never lubricate should get grease. I take care of my equipment, so I was not happy. In my defense, neither of my owner's manuals have one word about XL650 maintenance, including lubricating.

The newer models have grease zerks on two of of the rods, but mine has only VERY small holes. I never considered that one is supposed to get grease in those holes. It turns out I was right; grease isn't going in those holes! I called Dillon today to see if the zerk fittings and bars are available as an upgrade. They are, but at about $45 each for two machines, it would be easier to unscrew the nuts and pull the bolts out so they can be greased. I had decided to do that but I wonder if I could drill the small holes to accept zerks. Has anyone done this with a 650? Also, is there a standard size hole and thread for zerks?

Thanks,
Chas.
If you post a pic, I can give an opinion on if the part can be modified for a Zerk fitting/. If so..... bring the parts to TFC HQ when you can go without them for a few days...I'll pick up and return them with grease fittings. .. BTW the rod itself may me modified as well to allow a grease channel.. Would be nice to see a exposed view of the "later model improved" part to not guess

If not an actual pic, can you point out the part number? and location of the current "hole"
https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl650-parts_8_45.html
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

7033d1404223913-link-arm-link-arm-pin-removal-xl-650-1[1].jpg
Are these the upgraded pins and grease fittings?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

E.Marquez wrote:
7033d1404223913-link-arm-link-arm-pin-removal-xl-650-1[1].jpg
Are these the upgraded pins and grease fittings?
Yes. My machines have two small holes in the lower arm housing and one on the top. The right side hole on the lower housing is partially visible in the photo, but unless you know what you are looking at, it's hard to see.

Chas.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Yes. My machines have two small holes in the lower arm housing and one on the top. The right side hole on the lower housing is partially visible in the photo, but unless you know what you are looking at, it's hard to see.

Chas.
grease hole.jpg
That one?
If so, sure you can drill and tap that and put a zerk grease fitting in it...likely an angled one for ease of connecting the grease gun

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

I have 2 - 650's and a 550. All three of them were made prior to the change to grease fittings. What I did was to use a small grease gun that is made for greasing a chain saw bar. Works for me and saved me a lot of time. I use a high quality grease to insure it stays where it's placed.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

krieghoff wrote:I have 2 - 650's and a 550. All three of them were made prior to the change to grease fittings. What I did was to use a small grease gun that is made for greasing a chain saw bar. Works for me and saved me a lot of time. I use a high quality grease to insure it stays where it's placed.
I didn't know grease guns like that were manufactured. I just looked on Amazon and there are several. I'll get one of those.

Are you able to feel the grease going in? I know that's a funny question, but when I try the grease syringe that comes with the Dillon maintenance kit, nothing happens. I can't even move the plunger a slight amount.

Thanks for the tip!
Chas.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

krieghoff wrote:I have 2 - 650's and a 550. All three of them were made prior to the change to grease fittings. What I did was to use a small grease gun that is made for greasing a chain saw bar. Works for me and saved me a lot of time. I use a high quality grease to insure it stays where it's placed.
Needle tip?

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

Yes a needle type tip but not that long. The whole thing fits in your hand with a hand plunger. There was one shown below the picture of the tip you posted.
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

krieghoff wrote:Yes a needle type tip but not that long. The whole thing fits in your hand with a hand plunger. There was one shown below the picture of the tip you posted.
Right, they also make versions that are short right angle from the main assembly ....just a short nub.
The only issue is the body of the grease gun might interfere with the Dillon link as the grease hole in the body is close to the link.. So I was thinking longer needle, which puts the grease gun farther away\.
But hey, if you have a grease gun model and type that is known to work with the Dillon press...thats the winner over my theory.

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
I didn't know grease guns like that were manufactured. I just looked on Amazon and there are several. I'll get one of those.

Are you able to feel the grease going in? I know that's a funny question, but when I try the grease syringe that comes with the Dillon maintenance kit, nothing happens. I can't even move the plunger a slight amount.

Thanks for the tip!
Chas.

I stumbled across this by accident. It is a small grease gun and you apply the pressure with the palm of your hand so you will feel a small amount of movement. I use John Deere Polyurea grease which is the same as I use on my tractors & dozers not that it makes any difference, but it is a high quality grease. The syringe doesn't allow you to do anything so I ditched mine when I discovered I could use my chain saw grease gun.
Hope it works for you..
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Return to “Reloading Forum”