Brass Cleaning

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby warnmar10 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I have to admit that's impressive.

Chas.
Brass that clean and shiny is completely unnecessary but oh so gratifying.


Topic author
ET-Ret
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:28 pm

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby ET-Ret » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:44 pm

How often does the Walnut mix need to be changed out?

I really want to thank all the ans I got.

I bought some walnut mix and it seems to be a lot better. (RCBS Formula #1)

ET-ret


striker55
Senior Member
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:27 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby striker55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:56 pm

I used Brasso in the 80's with a rag for stubborn stained brass.


pushpullpete
Senior Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby pushpullpete » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Charles L Cotton wrote:All I've ever used is walnut hulls, so I have no experience with cord cob media. I've read that walnut is better for cleaning while corn cob is better for polishing after cleaning. I've never been willing to tumble brass twice, plus I can get a good shine with walnut. It just doesn't get the inside as clean as wet tumbling, but I don't care about the inside. I might feel differently if I decapped before tumbling, that that's never going to happen!

Charles, you don't need to tumble twice, try throwing in some corn cob w the walnut shell. It takes a little longer but
the mix does a nice job of cleaning & polishing. Maybe 20-30% corn cob. You can fine tune to your standards.
Personally, I am ocd anal. I deprime, drop in the Hornady ultrasonic & then the vibratory tumbler 70/30 corn cob to walnut.
YMMV

:txflag: :patriot:

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16882
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 pm

pushpullpete wrote:
Charles L Cotton wrote:All I've ever used is walnut hulls, so I have no experience with cord cob media. I've read that walnut is better for cleaning while corn cob is better for polishing after cleaning. I've never been willing to tumble brass twice, plus I can get a good shine with walnut. It just doesn't get the inside as clean as wet tumbling, but I don't care about the inside. I might feel differently if I decapped before tumbling, that that's never going to happen!

Charles, you don't need to tumble twice, try throwing in some corn cob w the walnut shell. It takes a little longer but
the mix does a nice job of cleaning & polishing. Maybe 20-30% corn cob. You can fine tune to your standards.
Personally, I am ocd anal. I deprime, drop in the Hornady ultrasonic & then the vibratory tumbler 70/30 corn cob to walnut.
YMMV

:txflag: :patriot:


I didn't realize you can combine walnut and corn cob effectively. I'll give that a try. I have to go to Clemtex and get a 40 lb bag of crushed walnut hulls, so I'll get some corn cob as well.

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.
Image

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts: 5347
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby puma guy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
pushpullpete wrote:
Charles L Cotton wrote:All I've ever used is walnut hulls, so I have no experience with cord cob media. I've read that walnut is better for cleaning while corn cob is better for polishing after cleaning. I've never been willing to tumble brass twice, plus I can get a good shine with walnut. It just doesn't get the inside as clean as wet tumbling, but I don't care about the inside. I might feel differently if I decapped before tumbling, that that's never going to happen!

Charles, you don't need to tumble twice, try throwing in some corn cob w the walnut shell. It takes a little longer but
the mix does a nice job of cleaning & polishing. Maybe 20-30% corn cob. You can fine tune to your standards.
Personally, I am ocd anal. I deprime, drop in the Hornady ultrasonic & then the vibratory tumbler 70/30 corn cob to walnut.
YMMV

:txflag: :patriot:


I didn't realize you can combine walnut and corn cob effectively. I'll give that a try. I have to go to Clemtex and get a 40 lb bag of crushed walnut hulls, so I'll get some corn cob as well.

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.

What does Clemtex charge for Walnut shell. I've been buying it at Harbor Freight.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image


flechero
Senior Member
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby flechero » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 am

puma guy wrote:What does Clemtex charge for Walnut shell. I've been buying it at Harbor Freight.



Lots of guys on the reloading forums buy lizard litter on line and claim it's the best deal... you can probably beat this but it was the first item in my search and seems WAY cheaper than anything I saw for reloading.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GGTWTC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=ISCD5ZB78NNPO&colid=O381XIWZ9J38&th=1

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16882
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm

puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
pushpullpete wrote:
Charles L Cotton wrote:All I've ever used is walnut hulls, so I have no experience with cord cob media. I've read that walnut is better for cleaning while corn cob is better for polishing after cleaning. I've never been willing to tumble brass twice, plus I can get a good shine with walnut. It just doesn't get the inside as clean as wet tumbling, but I don't care about the inside. I might feel differently if I decapped before tumbling, that that's never going to happen!

Charles, you don't need to tumble twice, try throwing in some corn cob w the walnut shell. It takes a little longer but
the mix does a nice job of cleaning & polishing. Maybe 20-30% corn cob. You can fine tune to your standards.
Personally, I am ocd anal. I deprime, drop in the Hornady ultrasonic & then the vibratory tumbler 70/30 corn cob to walnut.
YMMV

:txflag: :patriot:


I didn't realize you can combine walnut and corn cob effectively. I'll give that a try. I have to go to Clemtex and get a 40 lb bag of crushed walnut hulls, so I'll get some corn cob as well.

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.

What does Clemtex charge for Walnut shell. I've been buying it at Harbor Freight.

It's taken me years to go through the last two bags I bought (80 lbs) and I don't remember what I paid. I'll post the price when I go this week.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts: 5347
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby puma guy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
pushpullpete wrote:
Charles L Cotton wrote:All I've ever used is walnut hulls, so I have no experience with cord cob media. I've read that walnut is better for cleaning while corn cob is better for polishing after cleaning. I've never been willing to tumble brass twice, plus I can get a good shine with walnut. It just doesn't get the inside as clean as wet tumbling, but I don't care about the inside. I might feel differently if I decapped before tumbling, that that's never going to happen!

Charles, you don't need to tumble twice, try throwing in some corn cob w the walnut shell. It takes a little longer but
the mix does a nice job of cleaning & polishing. Maybe 20-30% corn cob. You can fine tune to your standards.
Personally, I am ocd anal. I deprime, drop in the Hornady ultrasonic & then the vibratory tumbler 70/30 corn cob to walnut.
YMMV

:txflag: :patriot:


I didn't realize you can combine walnut and corn cob effectively. I'll give that a try. I have to go to Clemtex and get a 40 lb bag of crushed walnut hulls, so I'll get some corn cob as well.

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.

What does Clemtex charge for Walnut shell. I've been buying it at Harbor Freight.

It's taken me years to go through the last two bags I bought (80 lbs) and I don't remember what I paid. I'll post the price when I go this week.

Chas.

What grit do you use? I get the Coarse at Harbor Freight which they claim is 12 Grit. $24.99 for 25#.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image


WTR
Senior Member
Posts: 1337
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby WTR » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Wisk and a table spoon of cream of tat tar.

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby warnmar10 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm

WTR wrote:Wisk and a table spoon of cream of tat tar.

Why did you discontinue Wisk?

We want you to know that we thought long and hard before discontinuing Wisk. This was not an easy decision to make about a beloved product that has been around for 60 years. We also always want to make sure we can offer a great product in its place. If you like Wisk, we think you'll LOVE Persil. It was ranked Best of the Year by USA Today in 2016. You can also find a coupon for it here: http://www.persilproclean.com/us/en/locate-persil.html. If you have any further questions, please call us at 1-800-ASK-WISK. We thank you for being a fan.
https://www.wisk.com/Default.aspx

The Wisk replacement: http://www.persilproclean.com/us/en.cky.html

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16882
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:48 pm

puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
pushpullpete wrote:
Charles L Cotton wrote:All I've ever used is walnut hulls, so I have no experience with cord cob media. I've read that walnut is better for cleaning while corn cob is better for polishing after cleaning. I've never been willing to tumble brass twice, plus I can get a good shine with walnut. It just doesn't get the inside as clean as wet tumbling, but I don't care about the inside. I might feel differently if I decapped before tumbling, that that's never going to happen!

Charles, you don't need to tumble twice, try throwing in some corn cob w the walnut shell. It takes a little longer but
the mix does a nice job of cleaning & polishing. Maybe 20-30% corn cob. You can fine tune to your standards.
Personally, I am ocd anal. I deprime, drop in the Hornady ultrasonic & then the vibratory tumbler 70/30 corn cob to walnut.
YMMV

:txflag: :patriot:


I didn't realize you can combine walnut and corn cob effectively. I'll give that a try. I have to go to Clemtex and get a 40 lb bag of crushed walnut hulls, so I'll get some corn cob as well.

Thanks for the tip.
Chas.

What does Clemtex charge for Walnut shell. I've been buying it at Harbor Freight.

It's taken me years to go through the last two bags I bought (80 lbs) and I don't remember what I paid. I'll post the price when I go this week.

Chas.

What grit do you use? I get the Coarse at Harbor Freight which they claim is 12 Grit. $24.99 for 25#.

I think Clemtex has three grits and I get the medium grit. I don't know if it has a number.

Chas.
Image


priusron
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:44 am

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby priusron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 pm

I too changed to SS in a Harbor Freight tumbler. It is so much quieter and looks so nice. There are two sizes of SS rods. The larger will not get stuck in the primer flash hole.


Topic author
ET-Ret
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:28 pm

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby ET-Ret » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Just a little info I called clemtex in Dallas
they have a 50# bag for 20 dollars and change said they have samples out to pick your grade.
They will come up on Google and have different locations.
I gave about $25 at Academy for 5# box of RCBS 12 with a package of wax to throw in the tumbler.
Dallas next week here i come.

Thanks Charles for it info.
ET-ret


Deitz83
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:05 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Brass Cleaning

Postby Deitz83 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Went to Clemetex in Dallas today. A 50# bag of rushed walnut cost $21.xx with tax. They do not carry corn media any more. I mixed the corn media I had with the walnut, add a bit of polish and went to cleaning.


Return to “Reloading Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest