Changes to CHL law

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fiftycal
Posts in topic: 2

Changes to CHL law

Post by fiftycal »

I see where HB 225 has already been filed to lengthen the CHL from 4 years to 5. I don't agree with that change because I believe people need a refresher at least every couple of legislative sessions.

I would support lowering the cost of the CHL for new and renewal, requiring DPS to take the photos on the existing drivers license equipment, doing away with the USELESS notarized forms, removing the USELESS requirement for "non-violent dispute resolution training" and lowering the course to 7 hours total.

Also, the lack of a "51%" sign should be a defense to prosecution for unknowingly entering a "bar".

That's a start on things.

sfjet
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Changes to CHL law

Post by sfjet »

fiftycal wrote:I see where HB 225 has already been filed to lengthen the CHL from 4 years to 5. I don't agree with that change because I believe people need a refresher at least every couple of legislative sessions.

I would support lowering the cost of the CHL for new and renewal, requiring DPS to take the photos on the existing drivers license equipment, doing away with the USELESS notarized forms, removing the USELESS requirement for "non-violent dispute resolution training" and lowering the course to 7 hours total.

Also, the lack of a "51%" sign should be a defense to prosecution for unknowingly entering a "bar".

That's a start on things.
I see where HB 225 has already been filed to lengthen the CHL from 4 years to 5.
I like this HB225 law. The rest I agree with completely.

antfarmer

Re: Changes to CHL law

Post by antfarmer »

fiftycal wrote:I would support lowering the cost of the CHL for new and renewal, requiring DPS to take the photos on the existing drivers license equipment...
Why not do away with the photos & card completely? Have the CHL be an endorsement on your DL.

Topic author
fiftycal

Post by fiftycal »

"Why not do away with the photos & card completely? Have the CHL be an endorsement on your DL. "

1. There are some things you can lose your DL over that would not effect the CHL. Too many tickets, no insurance, etc.

2. Now that you have to show your DL to go to the bathroom, having GUN written across the face of the licensewould cause some people to become incontinent when they saw it and pose a public health problem.

mcneill

Post by mcneill »

[quote2. having GUN written across the face of the licensewould cause some people to become incontinent when they saw it and pose a public health problem.[/quote]

fiftycal - good one. :D

Jim
A gun is a tool, no better or worse than the man using it. - Shane

antfarmer

Post by antfarmer »

Naw, not GUN across the front, just a single letter endorsement with the secret decoder message on the back!

I don't know what all is contained in the magnetic strip, but it would seem your DL could be invalidated for whatever infractions, and you could still keep your card.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I would support lowering the cost of the CHL for new and renewal
I wholeheartedly agree. What do you feel would be a reasonable fee? Would $50 for new and $25 renewal be reasonable?

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 3

I'd like several things addressed (passed) this session

Post by troglodyte »

Lower fees - always good in my book.

Lengthening CHL - sounds good but I can live with the four year term.

DL notation - Doesn't bother me either way. Would be a little more convienent I guess.

What I would like to see -

No civil suit allowed if defense was justifiable.
Fewer no-carry sites. Especially schools, hospitals, court buildings, etc.
Rewording "church-carry" sections - tends to be confusing the way it is now.
Open carry legal (at least with CHL). Relieves flashing/printing issues.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Washington state has a one time fee of 20.00. That's what I would like to see happen here. After all we should not have to pay and pay and pay for our 2nd amendment rights. They already belong to us.

LarryArnold

On the other hand...

Post by LarryArnold »

The nonviolent conflict resolution is my favorite class to teach. And I have students that say it gives them a new viewpoint on concealed carry.

IMO we need to get away from the "violent criminal attack" mentality. There are lots of verbal conflicts where shooting is neither justified nor advisable. The last time I got into a self-defense situation it was at an after-Thanksgiving dinner gathering in my daughter's apartment. One guy had a little too much social lubrication and tried to pick a fight with me. I remember thinking, "I really don't want to cap this guy in my daugher's living room and cost her the clean-up deposit." So I used NVCR and talked my way loose. Much neater.

My daughter later told me that the guy just gets pissy when drunk. Turns out she hadn't invited him, he'd come with someone else. Then she told me that if he'd picked on someone else she'd have been worried, but she knew I could handle the situation.

As for licensing periods, if a CHL is valid for longer than five years the Feds won't certify it as a valid substitute for calling in a NICS check when you purchase a firearm.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

A refresher every four years is a darn good idea. I am not in favor of open carry but a clause that eases the flashing/printing issue would be nice. Legislation to prohibit or severely limit civil liability in a justified shooting would be most excellent. Considering what you get for your money I think our CHL fee is a bargan - - - it would be better if it was cheaper but oh well.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Lindy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lindy »

I'm opposed to open carry. I want criminals to be in doubt about who is carrying and who isn't.

I assume that by "flashing" or "printing", you refer to section 42.01a(8), Disorderly Conduct, which refers to "displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm." As long as you don't deliberately uncover your handgun, it's hard to see how that would be interpreted to apply by a reasonable person.

Someone else earlier refered to hospitals and churchs - the current law is pretty clear that in both cases you must be given effective notice.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

one eyed fatman
Banned

MoJo wrote:A refresher every four years is a darn good idea. I am not in favor of open carry but a clause that eases the flashing/printing issue would be nice. Legislation to prohibit or severely limit civil liability in a justified shooting would be most excellent. Considering what you get for your money I think our CHL fee is a bargan - - - it would be better if it was cheaper but oh well.
I know I complain about CHL prices but I was willing to pay the price. What ticks me off is my brother in law moved to Georgia and it only cost him 20.00. You dirty rat! You got a better price than me.

Lindy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lindy »

Yeah, but he has to live in Georgia... :D
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

one eyed fatman
Banned

Lindy wrote:Yeah, but he has to live in Georgia... :D
Ya... I guess he did have to pay a high price, didn't he. :D

Return to “Goals for 2007”