Changes to CHL law

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Changes to CHL law

Post by stevie_d_64 »

fiftycal wrote:I see where HB 225 has already been filed to lengthen the CHL from 4 years to 5. I don't agree with that change because I believe people need a refresher at least every couple of legislative sessions.

I would support lowering the cost of the CHL for new and renewal, requiring DPS to take the photos on the existing drivers license equipment, doing away with the USELESS notarized forms, removing the USELESS requirement for "non-violent dispute resolution training" and lowering the course to 7 hours total.

Also, the lack of a "51%" sign should be a defense to prosecution for unknowingly entering a "bar".

That's a start on things.
I don't see why you would dissagree with the 12 month extension...Base primarily on a proficiency issue...

Those who enjoy the shooting will remain proficient and have no trouble with their firearms...

Those who choose to shoot very often and maintain a modem of proficiency...Well, lets just say that that very small precentage of people who obtain and maintain their licences are just missing out on the fun...

I think for the most part people who have a CCW permit do just fine...

I like the idea that primarily this bill stretches my CHL dollar...And if they lower the renewal fees...So much the better...

Later,
Steve

stevie_d_64

Magnetic strip...HA...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

antfarmer wrote:Naw, not GUN across the front, just a single letter endorsement with the secret decoder message on the back!

I don't know what all is contained in the magnetic strip, but it would seem your DL could be invalidated for whatever infractions, and you could still keep your card.
Shhhhhh, my magnetic strip doesn't work...

The information on the front is good enough in my book...Haven't had a problem with it yet...

Later,
Steve

stevie_d_64

I actually like all of the positive things...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Coming out of this session this time...

I do have a point of contention with a couple of you when it comes to...

"Open Carry" [insert canyon echo sound effect]

To remove the jeopardy of violating the "must conceal" statute would be best facilitated by removing it altogether and allowing and "open carry" optional statute...

Key word "optional" open carry...

That allows us to not be held in contempt of freaking out the public...And gives those of us who choose to open carry at times the option to do so...

Tactically I do agree with Lindy and Trog that open carry does have some risk...But then again, most bad guys who plan to do ill will towards others don't rush into things if they see an openly armed person...Like L.E.

Of course most of us are not Law Enforcment, and should not be expected to intervene like one by others who are not armed like us...That argument is Sarah Brady, VPC and the MMM folks interjecting their "anti" message into our community...

Bottom line is I would love to have the option to carry openly, thus moving us in line with about 9-10 other States who allow it...

I have yet to see in 15 years of being active in the Pro-2A and CCW community any incidents of a civilian licenced to carry a firearm for lawful purposes (Openly, not concealed) be "sucessfully" targeted and neutralized by a criminal in the commencement of a felony...

Show me any quantifiable incident to contradict that, and I will gladly stand to be corrected...

Our CCW friends in Virginia seem to be sending the right message by opening carrying, and the public in that State appear to be getting more and more used to the idea...

Remember, all I am for is for the option...How active the state of Texas is if that statute is changed is up to us...

I think there is a time and place for every option...

Later,
Steve

Lonegun1894
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lonegun1894 »

I agree that open carry isnt the best idea for most instances. When i got my CHL, i was in the service. I came home on leave between commands, and took my class, and got all the paperwork and all done. I only had about 3 weeks so my CHL didnt come in until after i'd already left for Arizona, so my parents had to mail it to me. While waiting for the license, i did openly carry as that was my only legal option. At first i was a bit nervous because of the same idea that i'd be shot first, well, i figured i'd take my chances. I was always courteous and avoided confrontation with people, but i also didnt bother hiding the fact that i was armed. The only time it ever became an issue was one time out to dinner with some friends when a drunk came in from the bar next door and decided to pick a fight with me and 3 of my Marines while we were trying to eat. His friend folowed him in, but didnt make any move to intervene until i stood up and asked if they'd let us leave, since they werent gonna let us eat. The second they realized i was armed--the rest were too, but remained seated--both the drunk and his semi-sober friend just walked down a ways to an empty table and sat down. The semi-sober one apologized as we were leaving a little while later after finishing our meal. No weapons were drawn, but them realizing what they were attempting to bite off made them back off and give us space.

I know that a person knowing you're armed wont resolve or avoid all situations, but it worked for us that one time. Not too long after my CHL got to me and i have since mostly carried concealed. The only exceptions were out hunting/fishing/camping in the desert. And i'm talking places where i was alone and at least 3 hours away from the closest piece of pavement, so i wasnt concerned about scaring/offending the sheeple. I know i wont be carrying openly without a good reason even if it becomes legal here someday, but i do agree that it would be nice to at least have the option if we choose to use it.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
CHL/NRA/Hunter Safety instructor
TCLEOSE

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Lonegun1894 wrote:The only time it ever became an issue was one time out to dinner with some friends when a drunk came in from the bar next door and decided to pick a fight with me and 3 of my Marines while we were trying to eat.
Why do people do this???

Do they not understand that the most lethal substance in the world is a Marine trying to eat! :lol:

Geesh!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

stevie_d_64 wrote: Why do people do this???

Do they not understand that the most lethal substance in the world is a Marine trying to eat! :lol:
Marines and GIs seem to learn one thing very quickly in basic training: get as much as can whenever you can, because you don't know when you'll get any more.

The rule applies to food, sleep, ammo, beer, and --ummm-- distractions of a prurient nature.

Kevin

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

KBCraig wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote: Why do people do this???

Marines and GIs seem to learn one thing very quickly in basic training: get as much as can whenever you can, because you don't know when you'll get any more.

The rule applies to food, sleep, ammo, beer, and --ummm-- distractions of a prurient nature.

Kevin
Yes, and the protection of our precious bodily fluids... :smilelol5:

Some will get this, and some will not...It suffices to say that I am against some being able to see the big board...

And that I will fire the explosive bolts if all else fails...

Kevin, you have opened a big can of worms here my friend... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Lonegun1894
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lonegun1894 »

Kevin[/quote]

sounds like you know this from experience.... dont worry, i wont tell your wife. We were trying to keep it civil, but you know how it is when you mix alcohol and a guy out to prove something. Not sure what he was gonna prove, but i'm just happy it went the way it did instead of escalating further.

opened a can of worms, hmm, you know, i dont think it could have been said any better than that :grin: :cool:
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
CHL/NRA/Hunter Safety instructor
TCLEOSE

Return to “Goals for 2007”