Credit to John from Houston for this one...

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Credit to John from Houston for this one...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Copied from another thread...

I recently got a Utah permit. It only took a couple of weeks, but was more expensive than NH. Interesting thing, I copied my Texas License and sent it to UT with the application and they almost instanly sent the permit back with a letter saying it would be revolked if anything showed up in the background check. Now why can't Texas do that with renewals?

I think this is a great idea...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

I've said several times that DPS should be forced to issue the license even if they're not through with the background. Then it could be revoked if cause if found.

Kevin

John
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John »

wow! i'm impressed with myself ;-)

One worry might be if it conflicted with any reciprocity agreements, but I doubt it would.
JohnC

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

John wrote:wow! i'm impressed with myself ;-)

One worry might be if it conflicted with any reciprocity agreements, but I doubt it would.
I don't think it would...If other states drag race the process out, why can't Texas???

In a renewal, you've already established yourself...If anything has changed, obviously you would know if you are still qualified to renew...

The renewal process in my opinion is an exersize in redundancy...

Yes, it is good in my opinion to review the law, test that knowledge, see if you can still hit the ground if you fall, and get your licensed renewed...

I think they've done good in slimming down the renewal process, reduced the cost somewhat as well...

I think the Texas CHL law is maturing nicely...

There are things obviously that need to be done, but it appears to still be working...I always think there is room for improvement though...

But when the government is told this they tend to think that improvement is condusive to less revenue...

In this case this is something that they are just going to have to live with...And they need to be reminded of that fact...No matter how much you like or dislike your elected officials...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

bauerdj

Speedy license

Post by bauerdj »

I think on receipt of the application DPS should
A. IMMEDIATELY check if the packet is complete
B. Run a NIC check on the applicant
C. If A and B are ok, they should then issue a temporary paper license (this should be required to be issued within 5 working days. Temporary paper license would probably NOT qualify for at least some states reciprocity)
D. Run existing backround checks and issue within present 60 day timeframe

I also think the shooting part of the renewal class should be dropped though I favor continuing the requirement for the initial CHL.

By the way, I received my CHL in December, since my Brithday is in January I only got a 4 year (+ 10 days) CHL.

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Re: Speedy license

Post by stevie_d_64 »

bauerdj wrote:I think on receipt of the application DPS should
A. IMMEDIATELY check if the packet is complete
B. Run a NIC check on the applicant
C. If A and B are ok, they should then issue a temporary paper license (this should be required to be issued within 5 working days. Temporary paper license would probably NOT qualify for at least some states reciprocity)
D. Run existing backround checks and issue within present 60 day timeframe

I also think the shooting part of the renewal class should be dropped though I favor continuing the requirement for the initial CHL.

By the way, I received my CHL in December, since my Brithday is in January I only got a 4 year (+ 10 days) CHL.
I agree with the premise of A through D...

But as far as am concerned...I think the practical "range" course of fire should be kept in the process...Not only does it reinforce and demonstrate proficiency...I think its the fun part of the class...

Imagine how a new person to shooting would feel if all the "experienced" shooters get a pass and go home, and they have to have the pressure of shooting all by themselves...

I think everyone should participate, its not that hard to pass the practical...And the new shooters benefit from our experience and can relate and discuss all sorts of things that promote (positively) the issue as a whole...

Any excuse to shoot with anyone of any experience level really helps those who are just getting serious about self-defense and shooting in general...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Ok Stevie, you have some good points there, I must confess I was only considering the practicle from the standpoint of the renewer. I agree it is not hard to pass. I would think that anyone who goes to the trouble of getting a CHL and then the effort of renewing it most likely shoots well enough to qualify with ease, which was why I thought it need not be repeated.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If we issue a "temporary" license, we'll have problems with some of our reciprocity agreements and possibly our NICS exemption. However, one thing I want to pursue is requiring DPS to run a NICS check immediately upon receipt of a new or renewal application and then issue the CHL while the non-criminal portion of the background check is underway; i.e. school loans, child-support, taxes, etc.

Sometimes just the use of the term "Temporary" will cause a problem. That was the thing that kept us from getting reciprocity with Colorado. When we were able to confirm a NICS-type background check was done first, we were able to get the reciprocity agreement.

Regards,
Chas.

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

bauerdj wrote:Ok Stevie, you have some good points there, I must confess I was only considering the practicle from the standpoint of the renewer. I agree it is not hard to pass. I would think that anyone who goes to the trouble of getting a CHL and then the effort of renewing it most likely shoots well enough to qualify with ease, which was why I thought it need not be repeated.
I totally understand what you mean there...No problem...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:If we issue a "temporary" license, we'll have problems with some of our reciprocity agreements and possibly our NICS exemption. However, one thing I want to pursue is requiring DPS to run a NICS check immediately upon receipt of a new or renewal application and then issue the CHL while the non-criminal portion of the background check is underway; i.e. school loans, child-support, taxes, etc.

Sometimes just the use of the term "Temporary" will cause a problem. That was the thing that kept us from getting reciprocity with Colorado. When we were able to confirm a NICS-type background check was done first, we were able to get the reciprocity agreement.

Regards,
Chas.
I always knew there might be a problem with some of our reciprical agreements with other states if we do something different with our certification process, either an initial license or a renewal deal...

I just didn't think it could effect them this much...

The only real thing I can imagine that could alieviate the concerns and other issues with a renewal would be to get the class and paperwork in with a sufficient lead time as to not have a lapse in your license term...

And thats the individuals responsibility then to make sure that doesn't happen...

We see in this and other forums the problems and accolades discussed about this issue all the time...And when you stay on top of it and not let it get out of hand...Things tend to work out...

Now I know a little more about how some of these ideas and "tweeks" to the law could adversely effect our agreements we have been getting over the last couple of years...

Kinda like a be careful what you wish for thing...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

John

Post by John »

It would be up to someone smarter than me to research this stuff, but just a note, the license issued by Utah was the actual license, not a temporary. I do not know if they issued it early because of my sending them a photo copy of my Texas CHL or if it is common practice for them issue before completing the background check. I think they do the same checks as Texas and have reciprocity with pretty much the same folks, except Alabama and maybe an additional two (but I can't recall which right now).

So if they can do it, why can't we?
JohnC

Return to “Goals for 2007”