Public Safety vs Public Debt

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
lrb111
Posts in topic: 1

Public Safety vs Public Debt

Post by lrb111 »

I feel sure this issue exists due to a compromise somewhere along the line.

I've recently become aware that there are large numbers of citizens that work hard, provide safety and security for their families, but cannot have a chl because they owe student loans or state taxes.
I had no idea the scope of denial.

However, it seems to me this exclusion of citizens from the ability to provide safety for themselves, family, friends, and those that they might aid with a concealed handgun, is a serious oversight.

In fact denying a licence on these grounds, is tantamount to equating loan defaults to crimes and misdemeanors.

What the current requisites means to me is that the legislators did not really fuilly grasp the priority this legilation deserved. But, instead were treating this "right to keep and bear arms" as another minor state controlled privelege. Or maybe equal to hunting and fishing licences.

But there are a lot of folks out there tweaching school, doing internships, trying to recover from financial difficulties brought on from all kinds of things beyond there control, and to top it off the state says they are no class bums that deserve whatever they get from the dregs of society.

This is a cruel injustice to those that might truly benefit from the safety that having a chl might offer. Especially since those that aspire to have a chl, are as a group planning to be the most law abiding, and protective of values that we hope to endear in the general society.

fwiw, does a LEO lose his job if he can't carry, due to owing on a student loan or back taxes?
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

txinvestigator

Re: Public Safety vs Public Debt

Post by txinvestigator »

lrb111 wrote:I feel sure this issue exists due to a compromise somewhere along the line.

I've recently become aware that there are large numbers of citizens that work hard, provide safety and security for their families, but cannot have a chl because they owe student loans or state taxes.
I had no idea the scope of denial.

However, it seems to me this exclusion of citizens from the ability to provide safety for themselves, family, friends, and those that they might aid with a concealed handgun, is a serious oversight.

In fact denying a licence on these grounds, is tantamount to equating loan defaults to crimes and misdemeanors.

What the current requisites means to me is that the legislators did not really fuilly grasp the priority this legilation deserved. But, instead were treating this "right to keep and bear arms" as another minor state controlled privelege. Or maybe equal to hunting and fishing licences.

But there are a lot of folks out there tweaching school, doing internships, trying to recover from financial difficulties brought on from all kinds of things beyond there control, and to top it off the state says they are no class bums that deserve whatever they get from the dregs of society.

This is a cruel injustice to those that might truly benefit from the safety that having a chl might offer. Especially since those that aspire to have a chl, are as a group planning to be the most law abiding, and protective of values that we hope to endear in the general society.

fwiw, does a LEO lose his job if he can't carry, due to owing on a student loan or back taxes?
I don't believe there is a prohibition for LEO's regarding Student Loans and such.

I disagree with your assertation that those who aspire to get a chl are those who plan to be law abiding. We get a lot of calls and walk ins from people wanting a chl but have a criminal record. Not a majority, but quite a few. History HAS shown that CHL holders are more law abiding than the general population, I will give you that.

This statement is a little over-dramatic and not even close to truth;
the state says they are no class bums that deserve whatever they get from the dregs of society.

I do agree that financial concerns should not keep folks from obtaining a CHL though.

Its not just CHL either, Security companies must report all employee SS numbers to the AG's office, and they will require a suspension of any license or registration of a person deliquent in child support. There are other licenses too; look at this from the AG's web page;

FAQs about: License Suspension

Who is affected by the license suspension law?
Non-custodial parents who hold a state license, owe more than three months of past-due child support, and are not in compliance with an existing court-ordered or voluntary repayment schedule face license suspension.

What types of licenses are usually suspended?
Most adults have a driver’s licenses. Computer matches can determine which obligors have other licenses and permits ranging from medical, dental, and law licenses to hunting and fishing licenses.

How many licensing agencies are involved?
The statute identifies 60 licensing agencies. However, this list is not exclusive. For example, “licensing authority� includes political subdivisions and any other board or agency not listed by name.

How does the process work?
The Attorney General’s Child Support Division matches its caseload with computer tapes from different licensing agencies. When the match shows an obligor who meets the statutory criteria for license suspension as holding one or more of the identified licenses, the Office of the Attorney General will provide the license holder with a warning and an opportunity to resolve the outstanding delinquency.

If the obligor fails to respond, the Child Support Division will confirm the location of the obligor and other information necessary to suspend the license and then refer the case for administrative or judicial prosecution.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

You are also in error re: student loans.

You can't obtain one if you DEFAULT on a student loan (usually guaranteed by state gov.)

I have student loans and still got my license. Honest mistake, but I thought ya should know!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

If you have a student loan = NO problem.

If you default on your student loan = Problem.
-----------------------
If you pay child support = NO problem.

If you don't pay your child support = Problem.

UNBLVR

Post by UNBLVR »

I defaulted on a student loan many years ago. Eventually, it went into wage garnishment. We weren't doing all that well at the time so I just left it as is. I was angry, however, that I couldn't get my CHL with that hovering over me.

Time went by and we got on our feet and arranged a payment schedule. That lasted for about six months or so until my wife was injured and unable to work for a little over a year. Very tough times with only one income...almost lost the house. So, the loan ended up defaulting again and back to wage garnishment I went.

Sometime after that, my brother gave me my first 1911 as a gift...just "because". Suddenly I had a renewed interest in obtaining my CHL but once again, the default stopped me.

I mentioned this on another forum I belonged to and one of the other members (SteyrM40, a member here too, actually) told me that he was almost sure I was eligible because in the eyes of the state, garnishment was repayment. :shock:

I emailed the DPS about it and the response was that indeed, I should be fine as long as I met all of the other requirements. I called TGSLC and they told me the same thing. I was dumbstruck...I asked if I were rejected would they provide the "licensing" letter to DPS and they said absolutely!

Sorry for the long read...but to anyone in default for the debts listed in the eligibility requirements...if you are being garnished, you probably qualify. I took my class two weeks later.

As an added bonus...when I called TGSLC, he also infomed me that I only had three payments left...which only ended up being two with the last one being refunded (that paid the actual license fee).

Joe

Oh yeah...THANKS STEYRM40!!! ;-)
ONE DAY YOU MAY FIND ME DEAD...LAYING IN A DITCH.
BUT YOU CAN BET I'LL BE LYING IN A PILE OF BRASS.

Return to “Goals for 2007”