Protection From Frivolous Lawsuits - Texas Status?

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gamboolman
Posts in topic: 1

Protection From Frivolous Lawsuits - Texas Status?

Post by gamboolman »

What do I/we need to do in order to get legislation in place and laws passed to protect a person from the civil litigation that can potentially occur after the legal and justified use of deadly force has been used?

We all have heard countless accounts of justified shoots where the person who protected themeselves were sued by the criminal or his surviving family members in civil courts.

There seems to be a lot of arguing of semantics regarding "Castle Law", "Stand Your Ground", etc,. We all know what we need for Texas.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so as I am confused and I believe that this subject for Texas needs to be clearly defined on what the individual private citizen needs to do in order to put pressure on our State government. We need some common sense laws to be passed to protect citizens.

Yes, I am a member of NRA. Yes I do act on the alerts I get from them. But this subject for Texas specifically is what I am interested in.

Any help and assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks, gamboolman......

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

1. When you vote, make sure you vote for candidates that are friendly to our position. It also helps if you support those candidates in their campaigns and make your views known. A single face-to-face encounter can mean more than 100 letters from strangers.

2. When the next legislative session starts, write or call your representatives and the lieutenant governor.

3. Join the TSRA if you have not already done so and let them know what you want. The TSRA is the main pro-gun lobby in Austin.

4. If legislation gets to the floor, write letters to the editor at your local newspapers.

5. If the governor does not firmly support the legislation, call and write to him (or her as the case may be).

- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Welcome to TexasCHLforum.

The "Castle Doctrine" Bill that will be introduced in 2007 will have a provision dealing with lawsuits. There is already a provision in the Texas Civil Practices and Remedies Code that is helpful, but it has some shortcomings.

Chas.

barres

Post by barres »

Thank you, Chas!
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Return to “Goals for 2007”