Just wrote my state rep: need feedback

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Just wrote my state rep: need feedback

Post by KBCraig »

I just wrote to my state rep, Stephen Frost (D-1), who has an A+ rating from TSRA.

I need feedback about the sections of the Texas Code (not just the Penal Code) that need to be changed if we hope to have a Utah-style preemption regarding public schools.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lobbyist); perhaps I should have asked for help before hitting the "send" button.

Anyhoo, here's what I sent; please offer advice.

Rep. Frost:

If you attend the gun show at the Texarkana Four States Fairgrounds this weekend (October 14-15), I hope to speak with you in person. If not, I welcome your response by email or telephone.

I know that you have an A+ rating from the Texas State Rifle Association. I also know you come from a family of educators in Cass County. Given those two facts, I hope you would be willing to champion a change to the Texas penal code, which would fully decriminalize otherwise-*legal* concealed carry in schools or on school grounds. (Note the "legal" emphasis: I have no problem with "school grounds" being a charge enhancer for UCW (Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon) charges.

Since Texas conducts a background check on all Concealed Handgun Licensees, CHLs are exempt from the federal "Gun-Free School Zones Act". If Texas modified the Penal Code to allow legal carry in schools, there would be no federal impediment.

I'm sure that you consider your close family members to be trustworthy to legally carry concealed firearms in Texas, even at their jobs in public schools. I ask that you extend the same trust to all teachers, employees, and administrators of all Texas schools, by eliminating the restrictions in PC 46.03(a)(1).

There are multiple sections of the Penal Code affected by such a change. I would be glad to work with you to research and propose such changes as are needed. Please contact me if you would like my input.

Thank you for your time.

Kevin Craig

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Good letter Kevin. Keep us informed on any response you recieve.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Kevin, I think your letter was fine. It made your point and was short.

If this idea gets to the draft bill stage, someone is going to have to work out the exact language. There are probably lawyers active in the TSRA who would be happy to do it.

- Jim

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good letter. Said all needed. Complimented him in good form.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

good one!
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “Goals for 2007”