What I would like to see

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cxm
Posts in topic: 3

What I would like to see

Post by cxm »

1. Stand Your Ground Law
2. Modify 30.06 to require any public accomodation that wants to post to provide secure lockers for storage of firearms.
3. Establish strict liability for any CHL holder who suffers loss or injury as a result of criminals in establishment posting.

FIWW

Chuck
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

+1
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What I would like to see

Post by txinvestigator »

cxm wrote:1. Stand Your Ground Law
2. Modify 30.06 to require any public accomodation that wants to post to provide secure lockers for storage of firearms.
3. Establish strict liability for any CHL holder who suffers loss or injury as a result of criminals in establishment posting.

FIWW

Chuck
You don't own your own business, do you?

You guys know I am a staunch CHL supporter, but the government should not interfere with a business right to control itself in this manner.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KBCraig »

cxm wrote: 2. Modify 30.06 to require any public accomodation that wants to post to provide secure lockers for storage of firearms.
No, just adjust the laws so that it is simple trespass. No enhancers for having a CHL and weapon.

The enhanced penalties were why it was so critical to pass 30.06, requiring large and unmistakable signage.

Kevin

Topic author
cxm

Post by cxm »

Jeff,

If a business strips a person of their ability to defend themselves, that business should be strictly liable for any damages resulting from that action... just simple fair play.

A business is a public accomodation, and as such holds it's self as "open to the public" something well established at law. I don't object to a business prohibiting carry, but if they do they should have to make provision for the safe storage of any firearms a person carries... this of course is just "common sense" gun control... it is much safer than someone locking a gun in their car. I think this is the least we can do to protect "the churren" as Slick Willie used to say... and if it saves even one life... it must be worth while... I don't see how any sensitive person could possibly object to protecting childern.

I have managed quite large businesses, with large number of employees... actually I have over 30 years of very successful management experience. Is there a reason you ask? I still do management consulting in addition to expert witness testimony.

Anyway, I suspect we agree for the most part... it is just the details on which we differ.

Regards

Chuck

txinvestigator wrote:

FIWW

Chuck

You guys know I am a staunch CHL supporter, but the government should not interfere with a business right to control itself in this manner.
;-)
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

wo5m

Post by wo5m »

cxm wrote:
If a business strips a person of their ability to defend themselves, that business should be strictly liable for any damages resulting from that action... just simple fair play.
This might be a stupid question but is they a law that exists that protects a business with a 30.06 sign? Also assuming we do get the “strictly liable� addition, would the same apply to employers that forbid employees to carry on job?

I’m not saying I don’t like the idea, becouse I love this idea. Just some questions I had.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I'd like to see businesses that post 30.06 to have to add a bullet point to the name of their business.

Grapevine Mills Mall
- CHL holders and their money, not welcome.

Yeah, that could happen. :twisted:

Seriously though, I am guessing that the majority of the non chl folks have no idea what the 30.06 sign is for and probably assume it's for "the bad guys". As if the BG's obey signs. :roll:
If the 30.06 language was more obvious and said, even though YOU, Mr/Ms CHL holder, have jumped through hoops and had state and federal background checks that were clean, we don't trust you. The State says you're OK, but we think you're a ticking time bomb looking for a place to go off. If you bring your money in here and attempt to spend it, you will be arrested.
I'm sure you all get the point. Just make it obvious to EVERYONE, what the meaning of the 30.06 sign is and see how many of them come down.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

txinvestigator:

Commercial property and private property are two separate entities.

Commercial property can not prohibit entry due to race, sex, or religion.

Commercial property is under the auspice of many local, state and federal laws and regulations that private property is exempted from.

Commercial property is open to the public, the public has the right to keep and bear arms, therefor the public has the right to carry on commercial property.

It is too bad that our current laws, and our rights, do not coincide.

I would like changes in Texas law to either remove the 30.06 and allow carry in all public places, or require locked storage, metal detectors at all doors and adequate security for all places that want to post a 30.06.
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

wo5m

Post by wo5m »

jrosto wrote:

I would like changes in Texas law to either remove the 30.06 and allow carry in all public places, or require locked storage, metal detectors at all doors and adequate security for all places that want to post a 30.06.
I'm going to agree with txinvestigator on this one. This is a bad idea. I agree with you on protecting on race, sex and religion, but not CHL. We don’t need government telling a business who they must do business with. As much as I hate see a 30.06 sign I respect there decision. I don’t agree with it, but they have that right.

I’ve been a CHL for a little over a year, and one of the things I have learned is we don’t want to mess up 30.06. I just afraid that someone will try to modify it like you suggest and in the process some anti-gun legislator will add text that actually makes it worse and it passes as part of a compromise. I know this is unlikely, but you have to admit 30.06 is a currently a great advantage to CHL’s. At least we don’t have to follow any of the gangbusters signs.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 4

Post by stevie_d_64 »

How about we compel the government modify the law to grant businesses and other entities that wish to continue to restrict, tax breaks if they install secure discrete rooms, lockers for this purpose...

And if they don't in a timely, reasonable and effective manner, fine them...

It's worked before...

From what I've seen, when you combine tax breaks if you comply, and fines if you don't...It pushes the right buttons...

There are some negatives to this as well...There may be some that see this as an expansion of powers, or some form of unfunded mandate etc etc...

Me???

I plan to make money on this deal...If it ever sees the light of day...

But thats just Steve's capitalistic side showing...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

txinvestigator wrote:

FIWW

Chuck

I have to agree grudgingly with this.
I would say this though, I would be more likely to patronize a business that was posted if they provided secure storage for my firearm. If we could find some way to encourage businesses that want to post to do this without spending a lot of money, I'd be in favor of that.

Arizona does this, and when I lived there it was not enforced; it was basically a joke.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Carry anywhere LEO can carry for exception of the courts. ;-)

Diode

Post by Diode »

I can see both sides of this being I own a business. If we get our numbers up high enough maybe business would not be able to afford posting a 30.06?

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

carlson1 wrote:Carry anywhere LEO can carry for exception of the courts. ;-)

:iagree:
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

kw5kw wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Carry anywhere LEO can carry for exception of the courts. ;-)

:iagree:
^ what he said.

Return to “Goals for 2007”