Fix 30.06 wording?

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 1

Fix 30.06 wording?

Post by KD5NRH »

I touched on this in another thread, but maybe we should examine it separately here. 30.06 wording is currently as follows:
Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun.
The problem being that, in the case of private property, this wording gives the false impression that the property owner had no choice in the matter. While most of us should understand the implications pretty well, someone from out of state could easily be misled by this sign, and assume that all businesses of that type are off-limits, or that the property owner is not exercising his free will in banning licensed carriers from the property.

It could also turn a simple printing into a more serious issue if a non-CHL has decided that, for example, all gas stations are off limits since they've seen one posted with 30.06.

So, is it an issue worth taking up, and if so, how should the wording be changed?

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

How about:

"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), the owners of this property give notice that a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun."

Liberty

Re: Fix 30.06 wording?

Post by Liberty »

KD5NRH wrote: The problem being that, in the case of private property, this wording gives the false impression that the property owner had no choice in the matter. While most of us should understand the implications pretty well, someone from out of state could easily be misled by this sign, and assume that all businesses of that type are off-limits, or that the property owner is not exercising his free will in banning licensed carriers from the property.

It could also turn a simple printing into a more serious issue if a non-CHL has decided that, for example, all gas stations are off limits since they've seen one posted with 30.06.

So, is it an issue worth taking up, and if so, how should the wording be changed?
A valid point. but I believe that we need to chose our battles wisely. Maybe it is different in parts of Texas that I don't visit often, but I haven't seen that many 30.06 signs on private property. I can understand the some confusion from out of staters, but it is their responsibilty to check it out before they visit here.

Some priority issues we need to address this session are:
1: clarify, ease or remove restrictions at schools.

2: Stand your ground law including holding those who make a good defensive shoot harmless for civil liability

3: Defend ourselves agsinst any new legislation from the antis

TxFire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxFire »

I have seem a few post regarding 30.06 signage lately and that causes me to ask if others are encountering the signs often in their normal routine? I have encountered exactly ONE in the 7 month of my CHL status and that was at a Hospital. Are people really running into these signs frequently or are we looking to nit-pick? I understand the premis of this posting, but agree we should pick our battles VERY carefully and not make an issue that is not there and bring attention to ourselves or the abiltity of property owners to post 30.06 signs.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

TxFire wrote:I have seem a few post regarding 30.06 signage lately and that causes me to ask if others are encountering the signs often in their normal routine? I have encountered exactly ONE in the 7 month of my CHL status and that was at a Hospital. Are people really running into these signs frequently or are we looking to nit-pick? I understand the premis of this posting, but agree we should pick our battles VERY carefully and not make an issue that is not there and bring attention to ourselves or the abiltity of property owners to post 30.06 signs.
Do you mean "more" often in our normal routine???

If so, I would say not in mine...

Other than those few places I know, I have not seen any others that were posted correctly, that would force you to turn around and ponder going anywhere else...

I think its good to be very observant to this issue, of course don't call any attention to anyone working there if its not totally correct in your opinion...Just report it here so we can moan and groan about it...Mostly me I guess...There might be a few others as well...

I wouldn't say anyone is nit-picking when they see this stuff, and its either subtly wrong or just flagrantly incorrect...

Or its totally correct...

At which point I usually just seek life and entertainment elsewhere...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

TxFire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxFire »

I guess what I was asking is are persons here having to alter the routine or choose not to carry frequently? Are people really running into 30.06 all that often?

And to answer the OP's question, I think the wording is fine and we should leave well enough alone and not point out the ability of location to post 30.06 by bringing this "issue" up.

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

I can't count the number of establishments that have improper signs and I like it that way! Rewriting 30.06 will bring it up to all of these people that their signs are not actually doing what they think and they are likely to correct them.

30.06 is not broken. We have better things to do with our legislative capital.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I have ran into one period since I knew they existed, which has been a few years. Even then it was posted on a printed out piece of paper with about a size 20 font. So it accomplished nothing. What is worse is it was on a mom and pop type of hardware store. I asked the store manager why they had it and he said it was his bosses idea. I told him to tell his boss that I was taking my very good (I work in oilfield supply and we buy A LOT of stuff from hardware stores) business elsewhere. We did just that.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

GlockenHammer wrote:I can't count the number of establishments that have improper signs and I like it that way! Rewriting 30.06 will bring it up to all of these people that their signs are not actually doing what they think and they are likely to correct them.

30.06 is not broken. We have better things to do with our legislative capital.
Well said!

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

I think i've seen one sign in the last couple years, and i can't remember where it was. I guess my "forget about that place" attitude worked. :grin:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I've seen 1 in the year since I first started looking into getting my CHL - and that was at a bank in Burleson that I doubt I'll ever have a reason to visit again(was selling my car, it was the buyer's bank).

I say we leave 30.06 alone - and focus on removing the school restriction, stand your ground with a ban on lawsuits by BG's or their families, and work on taking out the loopholes and possible problem areas for us.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

TxFire wrote:I guess what I was asking is are persons here having to alter the routine or choose not to carry frequently? Are people really running into 30.06 all that often?

And to answer the OP's question, I think the wording is fine and we should leave well enough alone and not point out the ability of location to post 30.06 by bringing this "issue" up.
+1

We are LUCKY enough to have the 30.06 and not just a simple NO Guns sign!

Please don't chang this!
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

I have to agree that Section 30.06 is one of the best parts of the statutes regulation CHL carry in Texas. Very few states have regulations that are so specific regarding signs prohibiting carry, and the stringent requirements of the statute lead to the situation that carry is prohibited in very few private businesses in Texas.

It would be better for CHLs if there was no way to prohibit carry, but philosophically I agree that business owners should be able to prohibit whatever they want in their business. Section 30.06 makes them do some work to soo that, and lets us know loud and clear that they do not want our money.

Lucky45

Post by Lucky45 »

I have seen a 30.06 sign once since I've been carrying also and mostly the TABC signs everywhere.

Return to “Goals for 2007”