Fix the alcohol issue

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Baytown
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Baytown »

gigag04, reminded me of a joke about the 3 statisticians (no idea how to spell that, or say it for that matter) who were bow hunting.

The first one shot at the deer and missed it three feet to the right, the second shot and missed the deer three feet to the left, the third statistician yelled, "WE GOT IT!"

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GlockenHammer »

My take: eliminate the 51% as a no carry zone and clarify intoxication (many good ideas above).

I was upset when I went to the bowling alley for a child's birthday party and saw the 51% alcohol sign posted prominently on the door I was about to enter. Do they really have this kind of alcohol license, or was this just a slimy way to avoid the trouble of a 30.06 sign?

Being in a bar (or pool hall, or microbrew/restaurant, or bowling alley) should not be why I shouldn't be carrying. The reason should be I am not of current physical and mental capability to carry (e.g., intoxicated). I was not driking (or bowling) at this establishment, so why should it be any different from Chucky Cheese's (where I CAN have a beer)?

Lonegun1894
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lonegun1894 »

GH,
I'm with you on this one. I have had many calls from friends to pick them up when they were drunk. Also been in many that although it was legal for me to carry, did serve alcohol. I dont see why I should be forbidden from carrying when i'm NOT drinking, just because someone else may be. I dont drink and drive, or carry, or shoot. I've had two drinks in the past 9-10 months, so someone better get me to a meeting, fast. Not opposed to having a drink with dinner or something like that, but also not opposed to walking into a bar if i get a call to go pick someone up, or to go play pool or something.

Got a question about another comment made earlier. It was about the 0% alcohol level for CHLs while carrying. While i know this wouldnt actually affect anyone's sobriety/peformance level in the least, how about chewing gum? I know the content is very low, and in many cases none at all, but i'd hate to get arrested and lose my CHL because i was chewing gum at the time. Not concerned about this happening, but just playing devils advocate on that one.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
CHL/NRA/Hunter Safety instructor
TCLEOSE

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

How about cough syrup or just after gargling with mouthwash?

:razz: :razz: :razz:

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

All of the above seems awfully complicated to figure out where the line is every different time, specially for a simple headed country boy. I keep things simple. Don't drink. Home or abroad. Walking, ridding, or driving. Covers it all. Anybody else ever think of that? :headscratch Been wanting to use that icon.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

Longtooth,
I totally agree with you on not drinking. Took a few mistakes to get to that conclusion though. Yes, there's a reason i very rarely have one. Wonder if this is one of those things where better late than never applies?
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

MoJo wrote:
Maybe I'm just getting old and curmudgeonly :wink: but, I do not drink when driving or packing. If I'm going to drink away from home I make sure I have a designated driver and since I'm the designated packer in my family I stick to iced tea when dining out. It is proven that even a small amount of alcohol can impair judgment and motor skills why risk it?

MoJo
I feel that alcohol and firearms don't mix. PERIOD.
I'm the designated driver / packer as well... Soft drink/tea/water when I go out.

Only have the glass of wine after I get home and the weapon is put away.

Russ

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

kw,
you put your weapon away? ummmmmm, i'm telling on you... just kidding. Good to see that yall for the most part at least agree and that my thinking isnt too far out there.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

I think that the whole 51% thing is pretty rediculous. I think that a person should be allowed to carry wherever they go. I also think that they should allow people to drink and carry. If they are intoxicated (set a limit like 0.08) and are CCWing then that is that. However if I would like to go to dinner and have a beer I dont feel that I should be prohibited from drinking just because someone else cannot handle their liquor.

If we impose a zero tolerance law then we should impose one on driving. I believe that driving under the influence kills more then driving while carrying. Vehicular accidents versus Shootings under the influence.

As someone stated a Zero Tolerance policy can result in a lost license for having recently washed your mouth with mouthwash. Or some guns contain alcohol in small amounts (I beleive the ingredient is also in smints) and having one in your mouth before you blow could blow a trace amount of alcohol. How about going to church and taking communion, you drink that wine and are popped for CCWing on the way home?

Perhaps just holding people responsible for their actions when they are drunk would be a better detterrent then a sign. The idea of what you MIGHT do because you were drunk is pretty rediculous. "Might Crimes" is what I call them are nothing but nonsense. You might do this so we have to prevent that. This is the same attitude that goes into gun control laws.

I believe Indiana, Virginia, and Pennsylvania allow CCW while in a bar. Washington allows it into any place that people under 21 are allowed to enter. (The bowling alley example above being the reason I brought this up.) There are many reasons why I would want to carry a gun into a bar.

I dont advocate drinking enough to get drunk and carrying but I do not see the big deal if I want to have 1 beer and sit in a bar with my friends. Personally I dont drink very much ever unless their is a good reason. I drink usually on my birthday and thats about it. But if I want to take my girl for a nice dinner and a glass of wine I dont see the big deal.

Thats my $0.02

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 9

Post by txinvestigator »

Tecumseh wrote:I think that the whole 51% thing is pretty rediculous. I think that a person should be allowed to carry wherever they go. I also think that they should allow people to drink and carry. If they are intoxicated (set a limit like 0.08) and are CCWing then that is that. However if I would like to go to dinner and have a beer I dont feel that I should be prohibited from drinking just because someone else cannot handle their liquor.
You are not. Most places that serve food are NOT going to be off limits.

And there is not a zero tolerance law regarding drinking and carry. It is a violation to carry while INTOXICATED, which carries the same definition as DWI or PI.

As someone stated a Zero Tolerance policy can result in a lost license for having recently washed your mouth with mouthwash. Or some guns contain alcohol in small amounts (I beleive the ingredient is also in smints) and having one in your mouth before you blow could blow a trace amount of alcohol.
What? Why would someone have a gun in his mouth? :grin: FWIW there is a 15 minute observation time before a person is administered an intoxilizer. That is ample time for mouthwash, gum or whatever else to leave your breath contained in your mouth.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Baytown wrote:gigag04, reminded me of a joke about the 3 statisticians (no idea how to spell that, or say it for that matter) who were bow hunting.

The first one shot at the deer and missed it three feet to the right, the second shot and missed the deer three feet to the left, the third statistician yelled, "WE GOT IT!"

Glenn
:lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo :lol:

I LOVE IT!

JLaw

ShootNMove

Post by ShootNMove »

If you have your CHL here in Texas, then you haven't had a DUI in 10 years, so you obviously know how to avoid getting one. It shouldn't even be an issue. I KNOW that 2 beers is my personal limit if driving or packing. How can you live in Texas and not enjoy a cold Shiner with your Ribeye?

I think the requirement should be the same as for DUI (read: police discretion). As long as police officers do their job with integrity, we'll put the bad people away and protect the good people.

BTW, this may be a news flash for some, but alcohol isn't the only thing that effects peoples' mental & physical abilities? Ever worked 48 hours in the heat, sober and tried to read a book, tie your shoes or concentrate on something important? Police work some long shifts under stressful conditions, yet we expect them to carry and operate a weapon responsibly. Do I even need to mention our troops overseas?
*SPEED, SURPRISE & VIOLENCE OF ACTION*
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

ShootNMove wrote:How can you live in Texas and not enjoy a cold Shiner with your Ribeye?
Amen!!!
Ever worked 48 hours in the heat, sober and tried to read a book, tie your shoes or concentrate on something important?
My personal best is around 72 hours, at sea, during a BIG storm. As one of about 100 people in the crew not partially if not totally incapacitated by seasickness during that time, I performed functions aboard ship that I had never done before, like steering, and at the end of the time most of us just kind of wandered around in a daze. It's amazing that we didn't kill, or at least hurt, someone in the process.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I don't carry yet - but I don't see myself drinking much at all while doing so. I have a drink maybe once a week, and thats a shot of tequila with the wife or a beer relaxing on my "porch". I don't see a problem to have one beer when you're out and about if you're eating at the same time. I know personally food goes a long way to counteract alcohol.

ShootNMove wrote:BTW, this may be a news flash for some, but alcohol isn't the only thing that effects peoples' mental & physical abilities? Ever worked 48 hours in the heat, sober and tried to read a book, tie your shoes or concentrate on something important? Police work some long shifts under stressful conditions, yet we expect them to carry and operate a weapon responsibly. Do I even need to mention our troops overseas?
Completely in agreeance. I've been on "missions" at JRTC that last 36 hours straight, having already been up for 12 hours before that - on an M1A2 Abrams. You're at the edge of dillusions at that point if you don't do it regularly. If the Govt trusted me to do that, I don't see the difference from having a beer with a full meal - or carrying anywhere - if I'm not consuming alcohol.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 9

Post by txinvestigator »

cyphur wrote:I don't carry yet - but I don't see myself drinking much at all while doing so. I have a drink maybe once a week, and thats a shot of tequila with the wife or a beer relaxing on my "porch". I don't see a problem to have one beer when you're out and about if you're eating at the same time. I know personally food goes a long way to counteract alcohol.

ShootNMove wrote:BTW, this may be a news flash for some, but alcohol isn't the only thing that effects peoples' mental & physical abilities? Ever worked 48 hours in the heat, sober and tried to read a book, tie your shoes or concentrate on something important? Police work some long shifts under stressful conditions, yet we expect them to carry and operate a weapon responsibly. Do I even need to mention our troops overseas?
Completely in agreeance. I've been on "missions" at JRTC that last 36 hours straight, having already been up for 12 hours before that - on an M1A2 Abrams. You're at the edge of dillusions at that point if you don't do it regularly. If the Govt trusted me to do that, I don't see the difference from having a beer with a full meal - or carrying anywhere - if I'm not consuming alcohol.
You can have a beer with your meal. The law prohibits you from being intoxicated while carrying.
\
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “Goals for 2007”