30.06 signs

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

30.06 signs

Post by MoJo »

Require 30.06 signs to be posted 60 inches (5 feet) high in the center of the entry door so all can see it and not have it hidden at ground level behind a shrub. If a business wants to post then make them post so all can see the sign without searching for it. Also provide penalties ($$$$) for improper/obscured signs.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

+1

Also, include language that says that invalid signs are just that, no interpretation, no "We consider that the effort is good enough - do you want to be the test case?" (As I was told.)

Also, make it clear what agency can be called to enforce the law in relation to improper signs, ie, make it right or take it down.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

+2

If yer gonna be against muh gun...Make it clear...

Say it loud! Say it Proud!!!

And the next sound you hear...

[insert chirping cricket sounds, due to lack of customers]
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 30.06 signs

Post by MoJo »

MoJo wrote:Require 30.06 signs to be posted 60 inches (5 feet) high in the center of the entry door so all can see it and not have it hidden at ground level behind a shrub. If a business wants to post then make them post so all can see the sign without searching for it. Also provide penalties ($$$$) for improper/obscured signs.
Also, require all public entrances to the building/business to be posted.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

+1 stevie. I say to all left leaning liberals fly your flag. I do. :patriot: In my yard, on my truck, in conversation & in print. ;-) If you don't mind I will use your "Say it loud & proud". That is catchie. :thumbsup:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

longtooth wrote:+1 stevie. I say to all left leaning liberals fly your flag. I do. :patriot: In my yard, on my truck, in conversation & in print. ;-) If you don't mind I will use your "Say it loud & proud". That is catchie. :thumbsup:
Well, I may have to give a little credit to James Brown... :lol: ;-)

It is kinda catchy though isn't it...

Here's another one...

"I'm not a fair-weather patriot!"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

txinvestigator

Re: 30.06 signs

Post by txinvestigator »

MoJo wrote:Require 30.06 signs to be posted 60 inches (5 feet) high in the center of the entry door so all can see it and not have it hidden at ground level behind a shrub. If a business wants to post then make them post so all can see the sign without searching for it. Also provide penalties ($$$$) for improper/obscured signs.
A sign at ground level hidden behind a shrub would not be enforceable.

The 30.06 law specifies the sign (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Penalities are not needed. An impoper or obscured sign is not enforceable.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Piney

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

I frequently see postings about 1) wanting penalties for improperly designed/posted signs and 2) wanting some agency to be responsible for enforcing improper signs and 3) wanting to notify the business of their improper sign.

Comments--

The only statutory penalties or enforcement should be assigned when a location is a governmental building that is improperly posted, thus attempting to bypass the legislative intent, and thus disallow lawful carrying of a weapon. A regular, private location should be left alone--If they have an improper sign, then its unenforcable so leave it alone.

The same goes for wanting to notify a business that their attempt to prevent lawful carrying is incorrect and then proceede to tell them how to do it correctly-- Just leave it alone.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Txinvestigator is right on the money with the statute...

But I think we'd all agree that if you're going to post your intent, post it properly per the law...No if's and's or but's...

And a penalty should be enforced, if it is determined you have not followed the law...

"Ignorance of the law is not excuse." We hear this all the time...And it should apply across the board...

We also hear, "Why instruct them to properly post?"

I say their intent is clear, therefore there will be little one can do to change their mind...

I like the idea of increasing the size of the sign...Really puts the burn back on them...They need to be proud of their side of the argument...

Even though I have not had to conduct business at the downtown HQ of the Houston Police Department, I do remember that they had the proper 30.06 language at their front "glass" door...But it was hard to see, because the lack of "contrast" made it hard to determine what they put there until you were right up on top of it...

I used to walk by it everyday at lunch, and before I left that company, I noticed it had been removed, and not placed back up anywhere...So I am assuming that had to do with SB501, but I am thinking they still say you can't carry in their building for some silly reason...

I really do think they need to change the display requirements...Make it larger, and difficult to put it anywhere but right in front of "every" entrance so there is no chance of confusion or ambiguity of purpose...

Heck, I just want to see who after all of that has the guts to do so...That in and of itself would be a hoot!
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Goals for 2007”