Change "Concealed Handgun" to "Concealed Weap

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mr fixit
Posts in topic: 1

Change "Concealed Handgun" to "Concealed Weap

Post by mr fixit »

How 'bout if we try to open up the options. It would be nice to have the option of a knife, or stun gun, or mace, or even a sawed off shotgun.
I think Florida is like that; if you can conceal it, you can carry it.

Just a thought.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

+1. Make mine an M-4 with grenade launcher.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Change "Concealed Handgun" to "Concealed

Post by txinvestigator »

mr fixit wrote:How 'bout if we try to open up the options. It would be nice to have the option of a knife, or stun gun, or mace, or even a sawed off shotgun.

Just a thought.
Texas does not currently prohibit the carry of pepper spray, tasers, etc.

A knife that is not an "illegal knife" or switchblade can be carried too.

Shotguns and rifles that meet the barrel and overall length requirements can be carried too.

fiftycal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fiftycal »

mr fixit wrote:How 'bout if we try to open up the options. It would be nice to have the option of a knife, or stun gun, or mace, or even a sawed off shotgun.
Currently you can carry an "illegal knive" or club with you if you have a CHL and are carrying a handgun. You can carry a "sawed off shotgun" if it is registered under NFA.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I have arthritis and I use a knife many times a day. It sure would be nice to be able to carry an auto without worrying about who saw me whip it out to cut a piece of rope or open a box. :?

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

fiftycal wrote:Currently you can carry an "illegal knive" or club with you if you have a CHL and are carrying a handgun. You can carry a "sawed off shotgun" if it is registered under NFA.
Technically the law does indicate this is true the way it is written, however this is a very legally 'iffy' idea. I would not recommend trying it out.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

dolanp wrote:
fiftycal wrote:Currently you can carry an "illegal knive" or club with you if you have a CHL and are carrying a handgun. You can carry a "sawed off shotgun" if it is registered under NFA.
Technically the law does indicate this is true the way it is written, however this is a very legally 'iffy' idea. I would not recommend trying it out.
I know we have had this discussion before, so I will just say this; Every LEO I know will arrest a CHL holder for UCW if they discover an illegal knife or club on or about that CHL holders person.

Right or wrong, how much will it cost to defend yourself in court?

There are plenty of other weapons that one can carry to avoid arrest.

fiftycal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fiftycal »

txinvestigator wrote:
dolanp wrote:
I know we have had this discussion before, so I will just say this; Every LEO I know will arrest a CHL holder for UCW if they discover an illegal knife or club on or about that CHL holders person.

------------------------------------------------------------------
What is going to be the charge? "Unlawfully carrying a weapon lawfully"? Since 46.02 "does not apply" to someone with a handgun and a CHL what are you going to charge them with?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
And what is going to cost a LEO to defend against a Federal civil rights trial, an illegal arrest and a charge of official oppression? Or do you think the cop shop will pay for it?

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

fiftycal wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
dolanp wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------
What is going to be the charge? "Unlawfully carrying a weapon lawfully"? Since 46.02 "does not apply" to someone with a handgun and a CHL what are you going to charge them with?

And what is going to cost a LEO to defend against a Federal civil rights trial, an illegal arrest and a charge of official oppression? Or do you think the cop shop will pay for it?
Hey fifty, I am not a cop anymore. and if a LEO makes an arrest with good faith he is not going to be charged with any of thise things.

I don't care, as I don't carry a club or illegal knife.

I can tell you that just this morning In my CHL class (on lunch now) a Dallas County Deputy from the academy told us that they WILL arrest a CHL holder who is carrying a club or illegal knife.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

The solution is to eliminate the "club or illegal knife" section from the Code.

It's outrageous that a Bowie knife is defined by name as an "illegal knife" in Texas. Not to mention the fact that there is no standardized definition of what a Bowie knife is (the very authentic Searles Bowie doesn't look like a Bowie to most people). I suppose that anything anyone wishes to call a Bowie knife will exceed the 5.5" blade length limit.

And speaking of that, where do you measure blade length? Do you include the ricasso, or only the sharpened portion?

And do away with the prohibition on automatics, too. The switchblade ban wsa the original "assault weapon" ban, except it didn't sunset. In this day of thumb studs and mechanisms like the Kershaw "Speed Safe", automatics are no faster than manuals.

Kevin

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

txinvestigator wrote: Hey fifty, I am not a cop anymore. and if a LEO makes an arrest with good faith he is not going to be charged with any of thise things.

I can tell you that just this morning In my CHL class (on lunch now) a Dallas County Deputy from the academy told us that they WILL arrest a CHL holder who is carrying a club or illegal knife.
I'd call bull on him right there and inform I have such a knife. In fact, I am taking my renewal next week and I will make it a point to carry said knife.

Just because the land is filled with cops who cannot read or do not want to learn the law, does not mean I am going to runaway like scared chicken and give up my rights under the law. When you think of the sacrifices young soldiers are making to protect our rights over in Afghan/Iraq, being saddled with an illegal arrest is nothing. I will gladly step up to the plate. This one is so easy the LEO will be lucky to not go to jail, and I will get 6 figure settlement without even trying. My guess though is his supervisor will be smart enough to be able to read the law and nothing will happen, other than a short detainment.

USMC-COL

CWL

Post by USMC-COL »

I'm for having the legislature change the CHL to a CWL (like Floroda's).

State preemption on all weapons would be necessary. What do we do about jurisdictions within TX that have knife laws different than those of the state? In San Antonio any knife under 5.5" that locks is illegal. A CRKT M-14/16T with a blade of 3.92" would be illegal in San Antonio - CHL or not.

Changing the law on printing as long there is no "obviously intentional flashing" would also be nice.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Renegade wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: Hey fifty, I am not a cop anymore. and if a LEO makes an arrest with good faith he is not going to be charged with any of thise things.

I'd call bull on him right there and inform I have such a knife. In fact, I am taking my renewal next week and I will make it a point to carry said knife.

Just because the land is filled with cops who cannot read or do not want to learn the law, does not mean I am going to runaway like scared chicken and give up my rights under the law. When you think of the sacrifices young soldiers are making to protect our rights over in Afghan/Iraq, being saddled with an illegal arrest is nothing. I will gladly step up to the plate. This one is so easy the LEO will be lucky to not go to jail, and I will get 6 figure settlement without even trying. My guess though is his supervisor will be smart enough to be able to read the law and nothing will happen, other than a short detainment.
His supervisor is the Dallas County Sheriff, and it is policy. IMO, the law is clear, and only handguns are allowed under the CHL laws.

Do whatever you want though. Are you coming to our range? If so, please tell me what time you plan on making your stand, I will be teaching the guards and in another part of the building. I would love to see your experiment.

txinvestigator

Re: CWL

Post by txinvestigator »

USMC-COL wrote: Changing the law on printing as long there is no "obviously intentional flashing" would also be nice.
Texas does not have a printing law. It states that you commit a violation if you "intentionally fail to conceal".

Texas Penal Code
§46.035. Unlawful carrying of handgun by license holder.

(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder
carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the
authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and
intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

txinvestigator wrote:

His supervisor is the Dallas County Sheriff, and it is policy. IMO, the law is clear, and only handguns are allowed under the CHL laws.
My brother-in-law is a Dallas County Deputy and he is not aware of any such policy. He is aware of the law though, and as you say the law is clear (actually crystal clear), unfortunate so many LEOs can't read it:

§ 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

§ 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY. (b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Article 4413(29ee), Revised Statutes, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;

46.02 does not apply. I do not commits an offense if I intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about my person a handgun (required by 46.15), illegal knife, or club.

Return to “Goals for 2007”