Package of CHL changes

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

switch
Posts in topic: 2

CHL carry at schools

Post by switch »

You can carry at schools!

Wo cares what the teachers or unions say.

All you need is written permission from the school. (Supt?, Prin?, Team Leader? Janitor?)

apowell
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apowell »

I wouldn't expect a letter from anyone below "administration level" (Vice P, Principle or higher) to get you out of a conviction since they are the only local staff whose authority covers the entire campus, and I wouldn't expect them to give you a letter for fear of loosing their jobs if it ever became known.

I tried at my son's private school. They "checked" with their insurance underwriters and got a big NO from them. It's alwasy eaiser to pass the buck to someone who will say no than to say no yourself.

I'll try at the public school this year (we are moving the oldest to public this year) but I don't reallyexpect to get permission.
Adon Powell
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Arlington, TX 76016
FFL Transfers: $15 CHL/LEO/MIL $20 everyone else
Transfer@ItGoesBang.com

switch

permission from a school?

Post by switch »

If you were going to show and tell or were going to give a 'gun safety' lecture, why couldn't the teacher give you permission?

If the janitor hired you to work on the a/c, why couldn't he also give you permission?

I agree, it would be pretty unlikely for one of them to put their job on the line but a letter from either should protect you.

Now, if you were planning on meeting with the teacher/principal about your kid, then a letter from a janitor (who happened to be your next door neighbor) probably would not work. ;-)

apowell
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apowell »

I don't think a letter from either would protect you, but let me know how it works out for you. :twisted: I'll follow your case with interest on the 5 o'clock news. :lol:
Adon Powell
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Arlington, TX 76016
FFL Transfers: $15 CHL/LEO/MIL $20 everyone else
Transfer@ItGoesBang.com

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

apowell wrote:I don't think a letter from either would protect you, but let me know how it works out for you. :twisted: I'll follow your case with interest on the 5 o'clock news. :lol:
I agree. I wouldn't consider the Teacher or the Janitor the proper authority to give a person permission.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kw5kw »

For renewals:

If you're renewing... you already have a CHL... duh! Why go thru a complete background check again, i.e.: from birth to day of renewal. After all you passed this 4 or 5 years ago or you wouldn't have your CHL in the first place.

All that needs to be investigated is the past 4 or 5 years since your last license was issured. (old licenses were good for 4 years, new renewals will be good for 5 is why I'm saying 4 or 5 years.) If you're in default your license should have already been suspended/revoked.

Renewals need to be streamlined and pushed thru faster than new applicants for that very reason.

Russ

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

It is just an update for renewal's and it is supposed to be faster.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Tecumseh

Re: Narrow definitions

Post by Tecumseh »

tomneal wrote:For CHL Purposes only

Along with a more narrow definition of a courthouse, I would like a more narrow definition of a "School".

To me a "School" is a Public (government) school grades K through 12. Employees of the school should be able to carry with a CHL.

"School" should not include colleges and universities.
"School" should not include "Trade Schools".
"School" should not include "Home Schools".
"School" should not include "Private Schools".
I would agree. Colleges are places that I would not want to visit without a handgun.

Return to “Goals for 2007”