Concealed carry of non-firearm weapons

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

rickb308
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rickb308 »

dolanp wrote:Speaking of knives, does anyone know if butterfly knives are technically illegal in Texas? I was reading something that an expert wrote some time ago and he had said that in his opinion the butterfly knife shouldn't be illegal under the law but that they might still try and book you for it.

Here is the definition of a "switchblade knife" under 46.01 (11):
(11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a
blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and
that:
(A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a
button or other device located on the handle; or
(B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or
sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal
force.
It is section B that is questionable. Just curious if any of you might know more or have spoken to any LEOs or attorneys about it.
Gotta love Google. :D

http://dao-web.dao.hctx.net/ie/TEXAS%20 ... 20LAWS.pdf

I definitely am not an expert. I would still check with an attorney.
Even then, "you may the rap, but you won't beat the ride".
Rick Bowen
TSRA Life Member
lex talionis
I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on the internet.

dolanp
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dolanp »

Ah, there it is. That's a shame though, because I think butterfly knives just as normal as pocket knives, only easier to open.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

dolanp wrote:Ah, there it is. That's a shame though, because I think butterfly knives just as normal as pocket knives, only easier to open.
That and the badguys don't play by the rules.

I've never owned an automatic knife or butterfly knife, but I've lived in Texas a lot of years and seen a whole lot of auto openers and butterfly knives.

The truth is that Texas laws against auto knives mostly affect the law abiding.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Baytown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Baytown »

They are illegal, I can assure you. I can carry whatever sort of knife I want, and I choose not to carry and auto or butterfly. If you want a quick opening knife, the Emerson can not be beat. It opens up when I pull it out of my pocket. It has a hook-like fixture on the back of the blade that catches on the pants and opens it when you come out with it.

Glenn

30Carb

Re: Concealed carry of non-firearm weapons

Post by 30Carb »

Paladin wrote:I hear that in some states like Florida, a concealed handgun license also allows the license holder to carry other weapons (like clubs) that would otherwise be illegal to carry.

It seems to me that the law is rather silly that a Texas CHL holder could legally carry a gun but would be a criminal for also carrying a 6 inch knife or a club.

I like to carry a knife along with my gun and I don't see why it should be limited to 5.5 inches or less. Why shouldn't I be able to carry a dagger or Bowie knife?
Florida does not have a concealed handgun license. It has a "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License" (CWL). Texas has a Concealed Handgun License (CHL). On the face of it, there appears to be a big difference.

Don't get me wrong. I would prefer Texas' CHL to be a CCW or CWL. I too would like to be able to carry a Bowie knife or sword (not that I would) if the occasion called for it, and without fear of arrest. I sympathize with your position, but I just don't believe it.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Oversize knives are pretty impractical, but I could definitely see where an Asp or PR-24 would provide an excellent less-than-lethal option of taking out an aggressor's knees or weapon arm with greater certainty of a stop than pepper spray.

The main problem with a knife is that it can't really be seen as nonlethal; if you cut them, they bleed, and no matter how carefully you place the cut, one big enough to stop an attacker will eventually kill him through blood loss.

IMO, even more useful would be to get a definition of "small" into 46.01(14) (Chemical dispensing device) that would still be considerably larger than the 2oz some companies take it to mean, or just get the small limit removed altogether; I'd like to have the big ones around the house as part of a contingency plan for breakins.

John R. Fuller

Good Point KD5NRH...

Post by John R. Fuller »

To heck with all the knives and swords, :shock: I would like to be legal in carrying a military regulation riot baton. :twisted: I am trained and have trained other soldiers in its proper use.

It is absurd to carry a pistol legally, but be prohibited to carry a riot baton. :???: I am a big man and a riot baton will be of more use to me up close than a pistol and possibly less lethal, minus the blue marks left from the baton strikes. :grin:
I am not the first or the last...

Madsmiley

Post by Madsmiley »

dolanp wrote:Speaking of knives, does anyone know if butterfly knives are technically illegal in Texas? I was reading something that an expert wrote some time ago and he had said that in his opinion the butterfly knife shouldn't be illegal under the law but that they might still try and book you for it.

Here is the definition of a "switchblade knife" under 46.01 (11):
(11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a
blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and
that:
(A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a
button or other device located on the handle; or
(B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or
sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal
force.
It is section B that is questionable. Just curious if any of you might know more or have spoken to any LEOs or attorneys about it.
Yes butterfly knives are considered gravity knives and are illegal to carry..I was arrested for carrying one when I was 17.Cant remeber if it ended up as a Class A or B misdemeanor

Return to “Goals for 2007”