Parking Lots: 30.06 and Employers

What should be on the 2007 agenda for CHL's?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 1

Parking Lots: 30.06 and Employers

Post by GlockenHammer »

Pardon if this was covered elsewhere, but my beef is posting a 30.06 sign at the entrance(s) of parking lots that technically makes it illegal to even drive into them, let alone leave your pistol in your vehicle.

I recommend that the implementation focus on specifying that 30.06 does not penetrate the boundary of your vehicle. No matter what (signs or other "notice"), as long as your pistol stays in your vehicle, you can't be busted under 30.06.

I know this is a lost cause, but I would love to see the same kind of protection that Oklahoma got for stopping employers from banning firearms in locked vehicles in company parking lots.

Implementation is extra-tricky on this because of Texas "employ at will" laws (you can be fired for virtually any reason). So, I suggest perhaps limits company searches of your vehicle. Perhaps requiring a peace officer conduct any vehicle search and all probably cause rules apply. I.e., if your employer thought you had drugs in the car, request LEO come, present probable cause evidence, if probably cause, search conducted in private (employer not allowed to be there). Only illegal (e.g., not "against company policy") items would be made known to the employer.

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Parking Lots: 30.06 and Employers

Post by kw5kw »

GlockenHammer wrote:Pardon if this was covered elsewhere, but my beef is posting a 30.06 sign at the entrance(s) of parking lots that technically makes it illegal to even drive into them, let alone leave your pistol in your vehicle.

I recommend that the implementation focus on specifying that 30.06 does not penetrate the boundary of your vehicle. No matter what (signs or other "notice"), as long as your pistol stays in your vehicle, you can't be busted under 30.06.

I know this is a lost cause, but I would love to see the same kind of protection that Oklahoma got for stopping employers from banning firearms in locked vehicles in company parking lots.

Implementation is extra-tricky on this because of Texas "employ at will" laws (you can be fired for virtually any reason). So, I suggest perhaps limits company searches of your vehicle. Perhaps requiring a peace officer conduct any vehicle search and all probably cause rules apply. I.e., if your employer thought you had drugs in the car, request LEO come, present probable cause evidence, if probably cause, search conducted in private (employer not allowed to be there). Only illegal (e.g., not "against company policy") items would be made known to the employer.
Texas made an RV an extension of your private home, why not your private automobile, truck, motorcycle?

Return to “Goals for 2007”