School parking lots

The Legislative Session is over - here are the results?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LarryArnold
Posts in topic: 2

School parking lots

Post by LarryArnold »

SB 173, by Harris, criminalizes possession of any firearm, including a legally concealed handgun, in school parking lots.

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

*sigh*

When are these guys going to learn? If I wanted to kill a kid with a gun, a law about school parking lots isn't going to stop me one bit. This law is much more likely to have negative side effects for those who carry and leave the weapon in their car when going to school activities.

Time to write letters and hopefully the TSRA has some things to say. :)
Springfield XD 9mm Service

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

I guess if SB 173 were to become law, it would be illegal for me to be carrying when I drop off or pick up my kid from school. :evil: :evil:

Thanks for this information. This is one bill I will have to watch as my little boy (3 yrs ) will be starting school in a couple of years.

This is such stupid legislation and a waste of time! Why do some believe that laws like this will actually have any effect on crime.

Sure school shooting are saddening, but it doesn't seem like it is a really big problem. It's not like these are happening every week. :evil: :evil:

fiftycal
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fiftycal »

Chris Harris is a senator from Arlington. He was endorsed by TSRA and "A" rated. Maybe he is just uninformed.

Why don't we all call him and ask for an explanation?

Austin Office
(512) 463-0109

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

Didn't they tweak the original CHL law to allow pick up too and from school with a CHL? Seems this is taking a huge step back. Looks like it will be a busy letter writing session this year for me.

Stacey
TSRA Life Member

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

This one really bothers me. It could take us back to what we experienced in the initial couple of years - when Dan Morales was Attorney General. (Is he where he belongs yet ? :wink: ).

Chris Harris is my Senator, so I hope, as Fifty said, he's simply "uninformed". Gonna make that phone call Monday to request an explanation.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Warhorse545 wrote:Didn't they tweak the original CHL law to allow pick up too and from school with a CHL? Seems this is taking a huge step back.
You are correct, that is why the definition of "premises" set forth in Texas Penal Code Section 46.035(f)(3) was adopted in Section 46.03(c)(1). This is most definitely a step backward.

I have read on a newsgroup that Senator Harris' office is stating that they intend to amend the bill to exclude CHL holders, but I find this statement rather curious. His bill amends not only Section 46.03, the general section prohibiting all firearms from certain locations, but also Section 46.035 that applies solely to CHL holders.

This is a bad bill that possibly can be improved, but it cannot be made into a good bill. But take heart, it's a long way from being law and there are many dragons in those woods.

These comments are solely my own and do not represent the official position of any other person or organization.

Chas.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I just got off the phone with a represenative in the Arlington office and tactfully expressed the concerns above. He told me they had received several similar phone calls already, that Senator Harris was aware of the issue and they would be meeting with NRA/TSRA represenatives within the next week or two ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the info Greybeard.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

There should be some action to take against those who have handguns(not long guns) in school parking lots that do not hold a permit. I once caught a student in the parking lot of the school I was assigned to and there were no charges that I could file. But it is such a risky thing, because you never know what amendments will be added or what type of interpretation will be made of it.

I wrote her mother a ticket for allowing a minor access to a firearm. (I did not ever see myself writing such a left-wing ticket, but in this case I made an exception.)

Glenn

TraCoun

State Senators

Post by TraCoun »

Does it do any good to contact a state senator who is not "your's"? :?:

fiftycal

Post by fiftycal »

[quote="Baytown"]There should be some action to take against those who have handguns(not long guns) in school parking lots that do not hold a permit. I once caught a student in the parking lot of the school I was assigned to and there were no charges that I could file.
---------------------------------------
Really? Why not? Do you mean you couldn't file FELONY charges? Why didn't you file under PC 46.02?

Are you a cop?

------------------------------
I wrote her mother a ticket for allowing a minor access to a firearm. (I did not ever see myself writing such a left-wing ticket, but in this case I made an exception.)

---------------------------------
Was she under 17? Why was she carrying a pistola in the first place?

fiftycal

Re: State Senators

Post by fiftycal »

TraCoun wrote:Does it do any good to contact a state senator who is not "your's"? :?:
ABSOLUTELY! Call up a Rep./Senator and tell them who you are and why you are calling. If you are calling someone that is your Rep./Sen. it makes a bigger impact, BUT, you call up and ask for the person that knows about the bill(you probably won't get to talk to the legislator) and express your reasons against/for the bill it WILL make an impression.

On SB 167, I called (not my Senator) and talked with the "legislative director" for 20 minutes. Explained why the bill is/was a bad idea. Maybe 5-10 more people called the same day (1 day after bill was filed). Now the aide is saying they will "change" the bill.

Did it make a difference? Maybe. The bill may not have had a hearing in the first place. Did the "aide" lie? Maybe. That is why it's good the lege only meets 6 months every 2 years. You have to keep up with the bills and IF the bill gets a hearing, you GOTTA showup.

But you think that "pro-gun" Senator is now "gun shy" about bringing anti-gun bills?

You bet.

Everyone should remember that every elected legislator represents hundreds of thousands of people. Most of those people are too lazy/could care less about what is going on.

But people that take the time to call those legislators CAN make a difference. Squeaky wheel and all.

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

Thanks Chas, glad to see that some of my memory still works.

And thanks got the Info Greybeard.

Stacey
TSRA Life Member

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

fitftycal, I am a cop, and I work in Harris County. As any police officer in Harris County will tell you, there is TX law and then there is Harris County law.

The DA would not even take the 46.02 much less the felony stick. The ADA explained that she was not actually in the care, custody, or control of it at the time in which the handgun was found. (It was in her car)

She said her step-dad and she shared the car and he worked graveyards. She said he would come home and she would get in it and come to school and he must have forgotten to take the Helweg (is that the right spelling, it's the Egyptian knock off of a Berreta?) out of the car. I wrote him the ticket for making a firearm admissable to a child, but if I remember right he was a convicted felon or on probation or something. Her mom stated under oath as a witness in court it was not his, it was hers, so she got a ticket issued to her after court on her way to her car.

At the same time I would hate to have to jack-up a kid who has a hunting gun, even if it was a handgun in his or her truck or car, that forgot it was there. The schools like to talk about open mindedness and etc, but they sure seem to be closed minded when it comes to guns.

Glenn

Return to “2005 Texas Legislative Session”