UPDATE: HB896 Referred Favorably from Law Enforcement Cmt.

The Legislative Session is over - here are the results?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

UPDATE: HB896 Referred Favorably from Law Enforcement Cmt.

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

HB896 that would allow CHL’s to have guns on employers’ parking lots and garages was heard in the House Law Enforcement Committee today, along with three other non-gun-related bills. There were good questions asked by the Committee and we had good testimony given for the bill. Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson also spoke in favor of HB896. I did not find the opposing testimony persuasive, but then I'm hardly unbiased on this issue.

All bills were left pending in the Committee. There are some issues that still have to be addressed to garner wider support, even if it has to be done during the "off-season." Dramatic changes, and those perceived to be dramatic, usually take more than one session to pass, so I'm not surprised that we're going to have to row this boat a bit longer. I'm not saying not to call your Representatives, but just don't be too disappointed if we have to do some more work to get it passed.

I was not in Austin, but watched it on the Internet. This is a great feature! I saw Alice Tripp, TSRA Lobbyist, and she did a good job for all of us. It was clear she worked the bill hard, based upon the testimony given and the questions asked. Good job Alice!

Regards,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the update, Charles. This is one that I want to watch.

Where did you watch on the net? Is this some insider thing or something that the general public can use?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

It's available to everyone and I suggest using it when certain bills are being debated. Here is the link: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/house/meetings.htm
On the left side of the screen, above the TLO, you'll see "Live Broadcast" and you can choose House or Senate. The next screen will show the various Committees with live hearings.

Give it a try, you'll like it. The only down side is you never know when your specific bill will come up.

Regards,
Chas.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the info.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

update: 3/22/05

Today, HB896 was reported favoribly from the House Law Enforcement Committee, as amended. It now goes to the House Calendars Committee.

mr fixit
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mr fixit »

Great!
I was there to testify before the committee. How was it ammended?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mr fixit wrote:I was there to testify before the committee.
Thanks for your help. Are you a firefighter?

The amendment would allow prohibition in an employer's secured parking area only. A secured area is defined very narrowly. I'll post more details as I get them; hopefully tomorrow.

Regards,
Chas.

mr fixit

Post by mr fixit »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Thanks for your help. Are you a firefighter?
Yes I am.
I read in an earlier thread that you watched the meeting on the 'net. If that is correct, you saw me speak after Alice Tripp.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Yep, I did. The only witnesses I could recall were you and Alice. If I recall correctly, you were sitting next to Alice in the second row. That Internet feed is great.

Thanks again for your testimony.

Regards,
Chas.

mr fixit

Post by mr fixit »

Yes that was me. Glad I didn't know that I was on camera. I would have been even more nervous.

I was happy to be there. I had corresponded with Alice about the situation I was in, and was asked to testify, so I did. Maybe I helped a little, I like to think I did.

Speaking with Alice during and after the hearing, I got the impression that she didn't expect the bill to make it out of committee, because there was such an issue of property rights. Even Rep. Hupp said she had problems with this bill. I am really looking forward to seeing the ammendments.

Now that it is out of committee, what happens? Where does it stand now, and what can we do to help?

Thanks for all the info,
Scott

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

There was always a concern about the private property aspect of this bill. I've posted my opinion on this issue, as well as reasons why it's not controlling with commercial property and an employer's property. I still think we have some "off-season" work to be done to get this passed, but I will be thrilled to be wrong.

A bill reported favorably from committee goes to the Calendars Committee where it may or may not be considered. If it is considered, it may or may not be set on the House Calendar for floor debate.

Regards,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Charles,

What is the definition of secured parking area?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

dws1117 wrote:What is the definition of secured parking area?
I hope to know more tomorrow, but I believe it will include a fenced area, controlled access, guards, etc.

Regards,
Chas.

mr fixit

Post by mr fixit »

I was able to speak with Rep. Hupp while there to testify. Her contention was that if the parking lot was under gaurd, fenced, had a checkpoint/gate gaurd that you must pass through, and was accessible to ONLY employees, it was a secured lot. Very few places would qualify. She herself said that a 'public' type parking area such as at hospitals, shopping malls, business that have public come and go, would not be secured.
I hope that definition sticks.

OverEasy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OverEasy »

Hi,
In regards to HB 896. The ammended version would allow companies with "secured parking areas" to forbid CHL holders from locking a firearm in their car. Senator Hupp saying that it wouldn't affect many people. From another thread I see that it will affect Oilman and I know of others.
We have the property rights issue. "The government can't tell me what I can prohibit on my property".
What we want is, to be able "to carry" to and from work or where ever and not be effectivly disarmed by a rule that says we can't have a firearm in some particular place.
Wouldn't it make more sense to go for a law that says, " Whoever invokes 30.06 and forbids entry of an armed CHL holder, has to provide a secure area for the CHL holder to store his firearm and provide a way to do it, that would conceal the identity of the CHL holder to others entering and leaving the area"
That would provide the property owner the right to bar CHL holders from entering with a firearm. AND it would protect a CHL holder's right to be armed traveling to and from that place. I never just go to an ATM for money! I stop on the way to or from someplace!
I think we would see alot less 30.06 prohibition if it cost the posters something more than just a sign. I don't think leaving a firearm locked in a car is a good idea. Cars are too easily broken into or stolen.
Precedent would be the " Americans with Disabilities" stuff. People need to be "accommodated". If the government can require places to have wheelchair access, special bathrooms, parking, etc. Why can't TX tell people who want to exclude CC from their property, they can do it if they will provide safe storage for firearms?
I'm part of that crowd that drives 50 miles each way to Houston and does errands along the way. I don't want to be defenseless all day because I'm going to one place with a 30.06 sign. Whew! I'll stop now, eventhough I have more to say. Regards
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

Return to “2005 Texas Legislative Session”