Extending the license term.

The Legislative Session is over - here are the results?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mec
Posts in topic: 2

Extending the license term.

Post by mec »

One major proposal is to extend the licenses from four to five years. This will probably be do-able as several other states have five year licenses.
Rodney Ellis is going to try to extend the provision for unlicensed carry in motor homes/recreational vehicles to all vehicles.

It would be useful to extend the instructors certifications from two years to four years. Such a measure might free up some money for reduced license fees. It would also decrease or delay the turn over in certified instructors.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

Yeah, like reduced fees will happen. The other terms that you mentioned would be nice too.

One can dream.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

One reason for instructor re-certification every 2 years is to coincide with changes in laws by Legislature - which is also on a 2-year cycle. In addition to travel expenses to Austin/Georgetown, DPS hits us for $100 for 8-hour "refresher" course. Additionally, we still pay the same as everyone for license.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Another government con job. :?

Topic author
mec

Post by mec »

The law gave rise to a completely new bureaucracy inside of DPS, so it's kind of expensive to run. As government agencies go, it's been a pretty good one. The staff actually supports the concealed handgun legislation and has been instrumental in modifying and reforming the law over the past several legislative sessions. Just recently, they've simplified the procedure for certifying a range for qualification.

I don't know that the expense of the thing was done to keep the number of applicants down. If so, it was probably the anti-gun people in the legislature that set high fees. The expense may be one reason why the average Texas CHL holders are a few years older than some of the other states. The younger people are less likely to have the gelt necessary to get set up with a gun and license and the training course.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

With a gun, training, and the license and class costs, it can get a tad expensive. But, it is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that can come with being able to carry.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Ya it's a small price to pay but the price leaves some people out in the cold because they can't afford it.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I agree. The cost is the reason that I am just now sending in for my CHL.

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

dws1117 wrote:I agree. The cost is the reason that I am just now sending in for my CHL.
And the reason I have yet to do so... :?
Springfield XD 9mm Service

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

License fees

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Texas fees for initial and renewal CHL's are far too high. A recent article mentioned on packing.org listed the fees from various states and Texas was the highest. The fees have generated a surplus and fee reduction is long overdue.

TSRA has long worked for lowering of CHL fees, but the information obtained to date is that nothing with a negative fiscal note will get passed. (Every bill has to have a fiscal note attached showing the expected monetary effect, should the bill pass.) The budget crisis simply won't let that happen. This doesn't mean that TSRA will drop the issue, it's just that a successful bill is probably some time off.

The next best thing we can do is extend the license period (only upon renewal) to five (5) years. This effectively reduces total cost to the CHL holder by 20% to 25%, depending upon how you want to base your calculation. This is not enough relief, but it helps.

I have long suspected that a large percentage of would-be CHL applicants are deterred by the total cost. The comments here support that suspicion and I will pass them along to the other members of the TSRA Legislative Committee.

Regards,
Chas.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Re: License fees

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The Texas fees for initial and renewal CHL's are far too high. A recent article mentioned on packing.org listed the fees from various states and Texas was the highest. The fees have generated a surplus and fee reduction is long overdue.

TSRA has long worked for lowering of CHL fees, but the information obtained to date is that nothing with a negative fiscal note will get passed. (Every bill has to have a fiscal note attached showing the expected monetary effect, should the bill pass.) The budget crisis simply won't let that happen. This doesn't mean that TSRA will drop the issue, it's just that a successful bill is probably some time off.

The next best thing we can do is extend the license period (only upon renewal) to five (5) years. This effectively reduces total cost to the CHL holder by 20% to 25%, depending upon how you want to base your calculation. This is not enough relief, but it helps.

I have long suspected that a large percentage of would-be CHL applicants are deterred by the total cost. The comments here support that suspicion and I will pass them along to the other members of the TSRA Legislative Committee.

Regards,
Chas.
After reading this post I now forgive you for not returning an email to me when I was requesting the price on joining your gun range.

Steve

P.S. I also emailed you requesting a better map to your gun range on your website. Someone paid attention to that email as a better map did get put on your website. That was a while back. Guess I'll have to bookmark your website again.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Oops, I guess I missed your email. I get a few membership related emails each month and I have to forward them to the Membership Director for PSC. I'm the Match Director for the monthly IDPA matches at PSC, but I don't have anything to do with membership, dues, etc. and I'm always concerned I may give some bad information. Sorry, your email must have fallen victim to my sometimes over-zealous spam filter.

I wish I could remember the person that created the much improved map to PSC. I can't recall when I put it on the web site, but we've had a number of folks say it really helped. Our old map was far less detailed.

Again, I apologize for missing your email.

Regards,
Chas.

TEX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TEX »

I don't mind the fees being a little high if it ensures a quality program. If I remember right the renewal fee was original set to be the same as the initial fee, but is half - I believe $75. I think the program could work with $75 initial fees and $50 renewals. That would come out to $10 per year if extended to 5-years. I am all in favor of the extension if it does not affect my abilityto purchase a firearm. I do however, think the classroom portion is far too short and the test far too easy, both written and practical. I think 16-hours of classroom plus a practical for initially getting the license and 8-hours plus a practical to renew. I am just dreaming here, but I also think we should have a two level license system. The one we have and then one a tier higher that sidesteps all of the normally prohibited places. It would require very advanced training and a psychological profile and evaluation at the CHL holder’s expense - AND WOULD EXPEMPT YOU FROM SALES TAX ON ALL FIREARMS RELATED PURCHASES : )

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

What would be the earliest this extension could go into effect if passed?
Springfield XD 9mm Service

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

As currently written, it would apply to all CHL's renewed on or after 9/1/05.

Return to “2005 Texas Legislative Session”