Goals for 2007

The Legislative Session is over - here are the results?

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 8

Goals for 2007

Post by tomneal »

- Change "Concealed Carry" to just "Carry"
- Remove (or reduce) the testing and training requirements from renewals.
- Generally make renewals easier.
- Should finger prints be required for renewals?

- Can the CHL be made a legal government ID?

- Get rid of the carry restrictions by the Lower Colorado River Authority

- Get rid of the wheel gun / semi-auto differences.

- Carry in schools. Remove carry restrictions from universities. Define schools and school sporting events narrowly. Public schools through grade 12?
- Carry in schools. If you are a school employee, you should be able to carry in school.

- Court Rooms - For those of us that have served on Jurys in Downtown Houston, the Jury Assembly room should be required to have lockers for CHL holders to stash their guns before entering the court room.

- Sporting events - I'd really like to be able to see a baseball game but, I am not willing to walk unarmed in downtown Houston. Maybe a locker requirement for them as well.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Topic author
tomneal

Texas Safe Hunter exemptions

Post by tomneal »

Not exactly CHL...

But
Hunters are travelers on the same road

There need to be exemptions that allow someone to take a young adult out hunting without a hunters safety course.

I took my daughters fiance out hunting. Since he was older than 21, he had to take a hunters safety course. This was a big investment in time for someone that didn't even know if he was interested in hunting.
See you at the range

client32
Posts in topic: 1

Post by client32 »

There need to be exemptions that allow someone to take a young adult out hunting without a hunters safety course.
Why limit it to young adults?
I agree though. If hunting with someone that has taken the course or is exepmt, you shouldn't be required to take the class.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 7

Post by gigag04 »

What if a valid CHL met the requirement of the Hunter Safety Course?

I still havent taken the HSC.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

wrt45
Posts in topic: 4

Post by wrt45 »

gigag04 wrote:What if a valid CHL met the requirement of the Hunter Safety Course?

I still havent taken the HSC.

Interesting discussion. I teach both CHL and HE, and there is no way the CHL curiculum satisfies the HE objectives. That said, I wish there were more ways to simplify the HE class for the adult that needs HE. Its very frustrating to an adult to sit in class with a bunch of 12 year olds for a couple of days.

There is an internet based HE class that eliminates much of the "sitting" time. Thats what I recommend for most adults that need the class.

Topic author
tomneal

Young adults

Post by tomneal »

If you are under 21,
you are not required to take the class
to hunt with another hunter.

If you are no longer a young adult
you are grandfathered in.
I think the birthday cut off was in 1972
See you at the range

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I'm almost 23 - so I am well in need of the course. Just don't have time... :(
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

wrt45

Re: Young adults

Post by wrt45 »

[quote="tomneal"]If you are under 21,
you are not required to take the class
to hunt with another hunter.

In Texas, once you reach 17, you may not hunt, even under the supervision of another HE qualified hunter, unless you are over the grandfathered age.

There is another option, though, for the person who wants to hunt (or isn't sure) but doesn't want to take the course right now. You may purchase a one-time exemption from HE, which will be good for one hunting year. The exemption may not be repeated, but for those who aren't sure, it will give them a chance to experience hunting without the class requirement. The exemption cost is $10, and can be arranged at any license sales station.

Topic author
tomneal

I stand corrected. Twice.

Post by tomneal »

The age is 17 not 21

There already is an exemption.

Thanks for the helpfull research wrt45
See you at the range

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

ironic?

What purpose does a mandatory safety course serve if you can just exempt it?

I understand that you may want to "try out" hunting before getting it, but wouldn't that be MORE dangerous? An unexperienced hunter "trying it" ??

Once my AR is complete, I'll take the course just to save myself the headache when spotlighting hogs/whatever else I find. We have bad coyote probs back home...that could be fun too.

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

gigag04 wrote:ironic?

What purpose does a mandatory safety course serve if you can just exempt it?

I understand that you may want to "try out" hunting before getting it, but wouldn't that be MORE dangerous? An unexperienced hunter "trying it" ??

Once my AR is complete, I'll take the course just to save myself the headache when spotlighting hogs/whatever else I find. We have bad coyote probs back home...that could be fun too.
Thats what a lot of us thought when the exemption became available. However, "ours is not to reason why......."

Since time is a major factor, check out Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. web page. Go to Hunter Education, follow the link to home study, and you will find a series of lessons with brief quizzes. When you complete the lessons on your own schedule, you print out the quizzes, take them to a home-study certified HE instructor, who in turn gives you the outdoor exercise, final exam, and live fire exercise. All in all, while it might not take much less time in total, you do it in bits and pieces at your own schedule. Plus, its only five dollars, payable when you do the test.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

The cut off date is Sept. 2 1971. I remember that because I miss the cut off by 7 days. Sept. 9 1971.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Goals for 2007

Post by KBCraig »

tomneal wrote:- Change "Concealed Carry" to just "Carry"
- Remove (or reduce) the testing and training requirements from renewals.
Make the renewal class about changes in the law since the last renewal, with the option to take a challenge test before sitting through the class.

- Generally make renewals easier.
- Should finger prints be required for renewals?
Make it the same as a DL renewal, which you can accomplish in person at the local DPS station in about 15 minutes.

Eliminate prints for renewal. As long as DPS is scanning your thumb for a DL, use that system to confirm you're still the person on the license.

And speaking of DPS, eliminate their authority to restrict carry in their buildings. Make them subject to the same law everyone else follows.

- Can the CHL be made a legal government ID?

- Get rid of the carry restrictions by the Lower Colorado River Authority

- Get rid of the wheel gun / semi-auto differences.
Yes to all.
- Carry in schools. Remove carry restrictions from universities. Define schools and school sporting events narrowly. Public schools through grade 12?
- Carry in schools. If you are a school employee, you should be able to carry in school.
Treat government schools like all other local government buildings. It's not likely to pass, but it's a good goal.

Same with public universities; don't treat them differently under the law than any other government building.

Make sure that any remaining laws restricting carry in/on/at schools only applies to government schools; private schools and universities must be able to set their own policies.

- Sporting events - I'd really like to be able to see a baseball game but, I am not willing to walk unarmed in downtown Houston. Maybe a locker requirement for them as well.
Just eliminate the ban.

A good set of goals, Tom.

Kevin

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

Interesting discussion. Also a Hunter Ed. instructor here. In fact, the "Home Study Completion Course" is the only type of hunter ed. class I've taught for at least the last 5 years. It IS also much easier for me to find a long 1/2 day on a weekend or an evening than it is to do at least 10 hours over a two day period.

But ... I still do not buy into the the old "I don't have time" line. If someone does not have 10 hours to put into a "mandatory" (per 1988 Legislative session) class, how can they ever manage to scounge up enough time to get out of town and hunt? :wink:

Glad to see suggestion of going to TP&W web site. Lots of great info. there. While there, I suggest taking a peek at accident stats and stories. Year after year, the numero uno age bracket of those involved in hunting accidents is 20 to 29 - and about 80% of 'em have never had a hunter ed. class. ("not enough time" :wink: )

And yep, beyond responsibilities and safety, there is a VAST difference in the lesson plans between the CHL and Hunter Ed. classes. In the former, we're discussing possibly having to shoot a 2-legged varmint, then going to court.

In the latter, it's more about ethics, having fun and shooting something that often results in good food for the dinner table. And NOT having to deal with courts. Unless ya do something like getting caught huntin' without the class. Those game wardens' little blue "love letters" seem to have a way of makin' some folks born after Sept. 1, 1971 find the time. :oops:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
tomneal

Hunters Ed and DPS

Post by tomneal »

In 2003, SB 501 passed and was signed into law. The DPS can no longer post their buildings.
(I tested it this spring by getting my Florida CHL prints at the DPS office.)

Hunters Ed
People that take the class are safer.
Not everyone likes to hunt. My original concern is that there was no exception at all. So, if you have a young adult that want's to try hunting to impress their future Father-in-law. They have to make a large investment in time to take their 1st weekend hunt. AND, they may not like it. So, the HE class is wasted.
The change allows young adults to try it for a year and see if they like it.

The second story I use to highlight the need for an exception is the phone call I got from two young adults that got an invitation to a mid week duck hunt. They were searching for a class on a Monday or Tuesday.

In both of these cases the young adults were going to be under the direct supervision of seasoned Texas Safe Hunters.
See you at the range

Return to “2005 Texas Legislative Session”