OE needs a new computer?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
OverEasy
Posts in topic: 2

OE needs a new computer?

Post by OverEasy »

I have decided I want to buy a new Dell computer.

I'm looking at the E310 and the E510.
E310 has a Pentium 4 521 w/HT (2.8GHz,800FSB)
E510 has a Pentium D 820 dual core (2.8GHz,800FSB)

Is 2.8GHz,800FSB the same?? Would I known the difference or would I care which Pentium it was?

Is the extended warranty(2yr.), pre installed McAfee antivirus worth $150.00?

I have a free antivirus on my present computer (AVG by grisoft) it seems to work OK..

I'm frugal (cheap), I don't want the latest most expensive one available. I just want a good reliable machine. Windows OS, MS Office and surf the net.

I think it's time to step up from 800MHz, Windows 98 and dialup.

If somebody knows that Dell is going to pull an Enron next week and go 'belly up' please tell me and I will reconsider my choice.

PS; Don't waste your time to tell me anything technical, I won't understand it. I need something I can take out of the box and plug it in, without reading the instructions. Even that streaches my ability sometimes.

Thanks, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I sure HOPE and PRAY that Dell isn't going to pull an Enron. Would very badly impact my life if it did...

About the warranty - it is worth it if you don't want to have to mess with anything technical at all for a couple of years. I don't get them, but then I build my own computers. In your case, it would probably be worth it.

About the McAfee - stick with AVG.

The E510 will perform better (all things being equal), but I would probably suggest getting the less expensive one and spending any extra $$ getting more RAM. You would be better served that route.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

I would echo what has been said previously. Stick with AVG anti virus. It's free and doesn't drain resources like McAfee does.

Don't worry too much about the CPU speed. The E510 is a newer moer advanced processor. Whatever you get with a new machine will last you for a while considering your stated computing needs. I have a machine that runs the same CPU as stated in the E310 and it runs very well, but it is almost 2 years old.

Whatever CPU you choose GET MORE RAM! More memory will serve you better. I would recommend AT LEAST 1gb.

In your case I would get the warranty. Good luck.

Get the most computer that you can afford at the time.

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

I have now, three Dell machines. Two laptops and a desktop. Have had no problems thus far with any of them. I would do without the McAfee altogether. You can buy it over the counter at CompUSA etc, for less if that is what you want. I have personal prejudice against that brand.
My personal recommendation would be to go with a Compaq for desktop, but nothing really wrong with Dell, just personal preference. The two year warranty is a good thing if it is a replacement warranty. In home is best, but send it back is OK. If you have to do that, be sure to keep your hard drive since they will send it back to you wiped clean. Iam in complete agreement with buying as much ram to start with as you can. Not less than 512meg, go for 1G if you can afford.Also look at the size of the hard drive and consider getting a larger one if offered. Probably 100G is not too large. All these are easier to install before you get it if you are not technical.
Good Luck.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

among other things, I'm a dell certified tech, fwiw...

If you are interested, I would be willing to spec you out a machine within your given budget. This is how it works at A&M and seems to be the most effective. Users would tell us which machine they like and what they want to spend and will configure it to give them the most bang for your buck.

If you're not interested, I will tell you this, if the option is between doubling your RAM or getting a faster processor...I would double my RAM. For most people thats going to be the biggest difference.

Let me know if you would like help!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

OE -

I am also Dell certified, as well as HP/Compaq, and IBM. Everything you have been told here is true. You don't need the dual core processor unless you are very big into online gaming, or other REALLY intensive applications. Go with the cheaper processor, more RAM(memory) is always better, not less than a gigabyte, and upgrade to the biggest flat screen monitor you can. Dell makes a fine machine, but still get the warranty if you don't want to mess around with tech support.

Good luck to you!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Got the wife an E310 for christmas. Upgraded to 160GB hard drive and 1GB ram with a 19" monitor (like watching a movie screen after the old 15") and so far it works great so she says. Had to hook up a wireless network so I can use my laptop as she won't let me near hers. It does all of her home office stuff and is as fast as we'll ever need.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

John

Post by John »

I like Dell too... I have a Dell Desktop and a Dell Laptop, but I'll caution you one thing. They tend to offer a good deal your way on a printer if you purchase it with your desktop system, but when you go to buy ink cartridges for it, you learn that you can only get them from Dell. They put a special notch on the cartridges and you can't find them at Office Depot or the anywhere. You have to order them direct from Dell.

thay may have changed this though, mine desktop is a little over a year old.
JohnC

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

John wrote:I like Dell too... I have a Dell Desktop and a Dell Laptop, but I'll caution you one thing. They tend to offer a good deal your way on a printer if you purchase it with your desktop system, but when you go to buy ink cartridges for it, you learn that you can only get them from Dell. They put a special notch on the cartridges and you can't find them at Office Depot or the anywhere. You have to order them direct from Dell.

thay may have changed this though, mine desktop is a little over a year old.
Their printers are also horrible. They are dell-stamped lexmark printers. We had SOOO many problems with them. Buy a cheap HP...you can even get an HP through Dell, but don't get a dell-branded printer.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

WOW!! Thanks friends!! I figured a couple of you might have some advice and experience to answer my questions.

I couldn't see any difference in how long it took an internet page to download when I went from my 1st computer, 133MHz to the 800MHz one I have now.

I will follow your collective advice and spend money on more RAM, larger Hdrive and the bigger monitor.

I expect that going to DSL will make the biggest difference to me. It just became available in my area.

Thanks again one and all!!
Best Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

We should change this topic to "Geeks with Guns". Now, how scary is THAT?

BTW, my advice on the Dell printer is - if they give you one for free, then take it, use it till it runs out of ink and then throw it away. If they only give you a "really good deal" on it, (meaning you have to pay even a penny for it) then you have paid too much!

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

You mean like this?

http://www.geekswithguns.com/

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”