help on FTP's

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
progun47
Posts in topic: 3

help on FTP's

Post by progun47 »

I need to make some photo albums to show prospective clients. I need to have them password protected so one client cant see the designs of another.
I have no idea how to get this done, I'm not really savy on these things. Could someone offer any advice about finding a FTP client that is good, and also how to go about using a FTP once I get things going.
"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

"Son, you will die with the hammer down on that weapon." Jeff Cooper, Gunsite ranch 6/18/84

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

Your FTP client is actually fairly irrelevant to making something password protected. And FTP is a fairly insecure transfer method as your username and password are sent in clear text. How bad would it be if these pics got to the wrong people?

If you REALLY need to keep it secure, then I would suggest a web front end to some secure storage with the security on the web app.

If just some security is needed, then you can still go with FTP and you need to worry about setting up the server side to allow different access to different sub folders based on the login criteria.

Piney

Post by Piney »

Greetings-

I've been investigating somthing similar.

I am currently trying out a hosting site that provides various applications.

The hosting provider is http://www.siteground.com. The plan I chose to get started is only $60 a year.

They offer two different photo display applications-- I'm looking at Coppermine application. I believe it will allow you to create password-protected/access albums.

They also offer FTP hosting and other services.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Coppermine is a good one. It's an open-source application that most hosting services provide. If yours doesn't, you can download it for free and install it on your server space.

It's very customizable with skins. Google it, and you can see some good examples.

Kevin

Topic author
progun47

Post by progun47 »

I guess that it wouldn't be a great problem if the clients saw the designs of other, it just doesn’t seem too professional for one client to see what another has on the drawing board. I know I wouldn't want someone else seeing a project I was just starting to plan for fear of being "beat to the punch" so to speak.

Anyway, thanks for the info and the link, I'll check it out.
"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

"Son, you will die with the hammer down on that weapon." Jeff Cooper, Gunsite ranch 6/18/84

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I have a friend who is a wholesaler for web hosting as well as a designer/code monkey.

What you want to do is not hard at all, but you need a backend application server to interface the site with a database that would hold usernames and passwords.

If you are interested in hosting/building a site, PM and I will be put you in contact with him. He is also a gun enthusiast and is getting his CHL.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
progun47

Post by progun47 »

gigag04 wrote:I have a friend who is a wholesaler for web hosting as well as a designer/code monkey.

What you want to do is not hard at all, but you need a backend application server to interface the site with a database that would hold usernames and passwords.

If you are interested in hosting/building a site, PM and I will be put you in contact with him. He is also a gun enthusiast and is getting his CHL.

-nick
Man, I think all that computer talk is making my head hurt. I think I'll just keep sending the photos by email like I have been doing. All that sounds to complacated for my small mind.
I appreciate all the replies and info though.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”