OE needs GEEK help again

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
OverEasy
Posts in topic: 2

OE needs GEEK help again

Post by OverEasy »

You all overwhelmed me last time. So I'm back with another question

I'm gettin' the Dell, Dude!
So, the Windows XP Pro from Dell is $149. The MS Office 2003 is $149.
They will probably charge sales tax, so $320 +- .

http://www.edirectsoftware.com sells Windows XP Pro SP2 for $114.99. Something about it's marked "not for sale" but it's OK and legal and authentic etc. etc.

MS Office 2003 Student & Teacher version is $104.99. Same song & dance.

Do any of you know if this place is legit? Can I really save $90? Or am I just buying myself trouble. Or do you know of some other place I can get the software cheaper than from Dell? Or is the smartest thing for me to do, is just pay Dell the retail price?

I'm frugal! $90 is almost a case of 9mm. Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

You really can save that much money - it is just a different licence model from MS. Those sound like "education" licenses. So if anyone in your house is a student then you can get an education licensed product (usually). I don't know anything about that company though.

Although if you really want to save a few bucks, look at open office. It is a free competitor to MS Office and is about 95% to 98% compatible with MS Office. There are a few things that it can't do, but if you stick with the major features of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ... it will do it all. Worst case you give it a try and don't like it and then get MS Office for the price you are looking at there.

http://www.openoffice.org/

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

+1 on Open Office :cool:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

My old boss works for MS

I can get you windows xp pro for 50 bucks and office for like 75 bucks. Those are legal boxed copies. He gets these with his discount through the MS store.

Let me know if you are interested.

Also - if you buy copies other than the Dell pre-installed flavors, be ready to install it yourself or get help from one of us.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
OverEasy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OverEasy »

Nick,
Check your PM folder.
Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)