PDF Converters ?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 1

PDF Converters ?

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

Soliciting comments/suggestion on PDF converters (non-Adobe$$).

I need to convert MS Office documents (Word and Excel) to PDF files.

Thanks--

HOSSISFREE

Post by HOSSISFREE »

Try using pdf955. It's a print engine actually. When you print your document, select pdf955 as the printer, and it will prompt you to select a location and file name. It works well with my old Office 97.

It's a free download

http://www.pdf995.com/

Hoss
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

I use CutePDF http://www.cutepdf.com/ a free PDF print driver w/o ads or popups. I use it every time I need to 'print' something (online receipts, etc.) that I want, but don't want to have to keep up with a piece of paper.

couzin

Post by couzin »

If you have a lot of stuff (several file boxes) you could look to printing firms with the software or super scanners if you only have hard copies - cost is (was) about 17 cents a page. Cheap way is as suggested by other listers if you don't want to buy Adobe. If you are nearby - and you have a need for only a few items to be turned into PDF - get them to me and I'll scan hard copies and give you a CD with the PDFs on it - if in word doc format you could send email to me with the file attached (I will not read them - at least I will avert my eyes) - I'll convert and shoot them right back in PDF. No problem.

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

This is what I use, and I really like it:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Ryan

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

I usually need to convert the other direction, so I have to ask what may be a dumb question; What would be the purpose or advantage to converting to PDF?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

txinvestigator wrote:I usually need to convert the other direction, so I have to ask what may be a dumb question; What would be the purpose or advantage to converting to PDF?
To create forms or standardized pieces of paper. A .pdf allows you to have an electronic print version of something, what I mean is a .pdf is unalterable (mostly) so the documents stays the way it was created.

I used pdf creation software to print reciepts when purchasing things on the internet - it really doesn't print a hard copy out, but creates a .pdf file with the same content as a printed page would.

I mail invoices as .pdf files as well as quotes.

It used to be that a .pdf file was more universally viewable than a .doc file, but wordperfect has fallen by the wayside and almost everyone can handle .doc files now.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

gigag04 wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:I usually need to convert the other direction, so I have to ask what may be a dumb question; What would be the purpose or advantage to converting to PDF?
To create forms or standardized pieces of paper. A .pdf allows you to have an electronic print version of something, what I mean is a .pdf is unalterable (mostly) so the documents stays the way it was created.

I used pdf creation software to print reciepts when purchasing things on the internet - it really doesn't print a hard copy out, but creates a .pdf file with the same content as a printed page would.

I mail invoices as .pdf files as well as quotes.

It used to be that a .pdf file was more universally viewable than a .doc file, but wordperfect has fallen by the wayside and almost everyone can handle .doc files now.
OK, so if I wanted to have documents that were accessible by people in the field to print, but I did not want them to be able to change the forms, a .pdf would be better than a .doc?
*CHL Instructor*

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

txinvestigator wrote:OK, so if I wanted to have documents that were accessible by people in the field to print, but I did not want them to be able to change the forms, a .pdf would be better than a .doc?
Yup.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

gigag04 wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:OK, so if I wanted to have documents that were accessible by people in the field to print, but I did not want them to be able to change the forms, a .pdf would be better than a .doc?
Yup.
Thanks!
*CHL Instructor*

John

Post by John »

txinvestigator wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Yup.
Thanks!
It's also helpful if you need to print something from a web site, such as a receipt, but are not currently hooked up to a printer. You "print" to the PDF Writer and save the document as a PDF file.
JohnC

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

MacOS X can print-to-file as .pdf, from any application. Some of the Macintosh graphics technology is licensed from Adobe.

Kevin

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Two that I use:

1) Primo PDF
Primo PDF is free, very simple, and does not have any tagware/nagware in it. It installs as a printer, so when you want to create a PDF of your document, select PrimoPDF as your printer and you're in bidness.

2) OpenOffice 2.0
Open Office 2.0 is Sun's answer to Microsoft's Office suite. It is not as purty, but is definitely functional, comes with everything Office does, and its *free*. Sun loves that part, 'specially since MS derives the largest majority of their income from Office. Heheh.

Open Office has the PDF creator built-in. It also will open,edit, and save to MS Formatted files like Word,Excel, Powerpoint, etc.

~Bill

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”