love hate

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
newmenu2
Posts in topic: 1

love hate

Post by newmenu2 »

lol, I love windows and I hate windows. just depends what day it is i guess
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

NRA member\TSRA member

Wildscar

Re: love hate

Post by Wildscar »

newmenu2 wrote:lol, I love windows and I hate windows. just depends what day it is i guess
That good becasue I bet the feeling is mutual. Just wait for the upgrade that make it all "BETTER"
:blowup
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Microsoft is the only OS that can get away with selling an OS that crashes only every few weeks as in improvement.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

Would you drive a car with the hood welded shut? That's what you have with MS.

Would you drive a car that crashed into a tree every few weeks?

Thankfully, there's Linux for the rest of us. :biggrinjester:
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I use Windows, in various flavors, and I've never experienced the frustration that I keep hearing about. I don't go to the edge with my computers, but I've built most myself and loaded OS's from scratch, as upgrade, etc. If you reboot (warm boot) your WinOS computer when you're through for the day, you'll clear up memory leaks and other Windows "nasties", and thus have a better experience.

If you don't like Windows and don't need to run Windows versioned software, get Ubuntu, a Linux variant. Very full featured and easy to deal with. I really like the Open Office suite of apps.

Just my experience over the last 30 years or so.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

fickman

Post by fickman »

I skipped Windows Vista, but I keep hearing good feedback from Windows 7 users. Never had a problem with XP. The Mac people experience crashes, but they try not to talk about them in public. Guess what - they can also get viruses. It all depends on what you need, what you have to spend, and how you're going to use it.

I wouldn't recommend even the most user-friendly flavors of Linux to the novice user yet.
Native Texian

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TLE2 wrote: If you reboot (warm boot) your WinOS computer when you're through for the day, you'll clear up memory leaks and other Windows "nasties", and thus have a better experience.
I rebooted my production machine today - a 24" iMac which will be 3 years old in a couple of months - for the first time in about a month... ...and that was just because a software update wanted to reboot the computer. Otherwise, it is as stable as the Rock of Gibraltar.

All 5 of my Macs are that way. They just run, and run, and run, and never slow down or crash. The only time I ever have to deal with Windoze nastiness is when I launch the ugly booger in a virtual machine so I can test something. Then when I'm done, I go wash my hands, 'cause you never know where Windoze has been.

"rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

My wife uses a computer for printing documents, sending email, browsing the web and managing her digital photos. She uses Ubuntu Linux and absolutely loves it. She's had Windows in the past and she prefers Ubuntu over Windows a million times over.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

fickman wrote:I skipped Windows Vista, but I keep hearing good feedback from Windows 7 users. Never had a problem with XP. The Mac people experience crashes, but they try not to talk about them in public. Guess what - they can also get viruses. It all depends on what you need, what you have to spend, and how you're going to use it.

I wouldn't recommend even the most user-friendly flavors of Linux to the novice user yet.
I think a system already installed and operational with Ubuntu is ideal for novices. Those who don't have preconceptions on how things should work usually find Ubuntu and Openoffice the easiest to use. Windows gurus keep running into "it doesn't work the same way as windows" Ubuntu from a novices point of view may be even more intuitive and easier to find help for than Microsoft.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

thankGod

Post by thankGod »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TLE2 wrote: If you reboot (warm boot) your WinOS computer when you're through for the day, you'll clear up memory leaks and other Windows "nasties", and thus have a better experience.
I rebooted my production machine today - a 24" iMac which will be 3 years old in a couple of months - for the first time in about a month... ...and that was just because a software update wanted to reboot the computer. Otherwise, it is as stable as the Rock of Gibraltar.

All 5 of my Macs are that way. They just run, and run, and run, and never slow down or crash. The only time I ever have to deal with Windoze nastiness is when I launch the ugly booger in a virtual machine so I can test something. Then when I'm done, I go wash my hands, 'cause you never know where Windoze has been.

"rlol"
:iagree:

...and I don't have to run a virus software that continually causes problems.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

dicion

Post by dicion »

Russell wrote:
TheArmedFarmer wrote:Would you drive a car with the hood welded shut? That's what you have with MS.

Would you drive a car that crashed into a tree every few weeks?

Thankfully, there's Linux for the rest of us. :biggrinjester:

Would you drive a car where, to add more windshield wiper fluid you had to:

1. Grab your toolkit
2. Press and hold the cruise control, gas pedal, and left turn signal, while simultaneously...
3. Unbolting and removing the engine, left tire, and right brake light

Oh, and if you didn't know how to do all of that, every time you asked someone for help they told you to "RTM" (read the manual). Only problem was, the manual was either 5,000 pages long, written in a different language, or there wasn't one. There was no happy medium.

That's what it felt like working with ubuntu and trying to get divx movies to play correctly without artifacting.

With windows? I installed ffdshow then opened windows media player.

I like and use Linux for servers, but definitely not for desktops. I like my computer to work for me, not the other way around :tiphat:

I just have a desktop of each, connected together via synergy so I only have to use 1 keyboard and mouse for both. I drag the mouse to the right screen, and I'm on my windows desktop. Left screen, Ubuntu.

Windows is good for what windows is good for. Linux is good for what Linux is good for.
I couldn't do (one of) my jobs as a network & systems administrator without both.

Linux is far superior for networking work, troubleshooting, etc. Windows can't even handle 2 gateways, multiple routes, etc, without a huge hassle.
Windows is needed for Active Directory and WDS work. Plain and simple. Cant run a large call center full of Windows Machines, running windows apps, without a proper Active Directory setup.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

thankGod wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

"rlol"
:iagree:

...and I don't have to run a virus software that continually causes problems.
I do run Norton AV and firewall software on my Macs, but it is because I have Windoze installed in a virtual machines on my computers, and it is therefore not as secure without additional protection.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

Russell wrote:That's what it felt like working with ubuntu and trying to get divx movies to play correctly without artifacting.
Those problems came about because of the copyright laws that prevent those software packages from being automatically installed along with the installation. The same problem will come up when you try to get software to play mp3 files.

My wife does neither of these on her computer, so Ubuntu has worked well for her.

As I said, Linux isn't a silver bullet but if your needs are modest then I don't think you can find a better system.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Russell wrote: Would you drive a car where, to add more windshield wiper fluid you had to:

1. Grab your toolkit
2. Press and hold the cruise control, gas pedal, and left turn signal, while simultaneously...
3. Unbolting and removing the engine, left tire, and right brake light

Oh, and if you didn't know how to do all of that, every time you asked someone for help they told you to "RTM" (read the manual). Only problem was, the manual was either 5,000 pages long, written in a different language, or there wasn't one. There was no happy medium.

That's what it felt like working with ubuntu and trying to get divx movies to play correctly without artifacting.

With windows? I installed ffdshow then opened windows media player.

I like and use Linux for servers, but definitely not for desktops. I like my computer to work for me, not the other way around :tiphat:
I believe one of the issues Ubuntu linux is that almost every one that runs it has had to install it. Almost all of us got our Windows machine preinstalled. What eveyone forgets is the cost factor. I am working on a machine that I built complete with a terabyte harddrive including monitor for $350 bucks. It sets next to a $1400 machine. This machine is a 1.6 GHZ the Vista is 2.4G The $350 machine boots, loads programs and runs faster. the $1400 machine occassionally locks up.

I did install XP in a Virtual box on the $350 Machine, but I really haven't found a need to install any apps on it yet. Ubuntu has this really kewl cube thing that you can flip desktops around with. Yeah, I still use windows a lot, but only cause my wife won't use the high priced machine any more. The cheap machine also has a Microsoft mouse.
Liberty''s Blog

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”